Questions for TCM practitioners..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for TCM practitioners..

For those of you who have studied (seriously) TCM..

Do you usually diagnose/treat yourself whenever you get sick or do you still rely on your local (western) doc?

Do you treat yourself but still see a doc anyway for the best of both worlds? If so - how do you ensure they don't interfere with each other?

Do you use mostly western medicine on yourself but treat others with TCM because it's your job?

Do you use mostly TCM on yourself but see another TCM practicioner for diagnosis/treatment?

Let me throw this in to stir the pot a little, just for the hell of it. I like doing these things, sorry...

BEIJING — Six people have died after being injected with a human antibody in eastern China, a hospital spokeswoman said Monday, the latest case of deaths caused by suspect medicine.

The six died after being injected with immune globulin, and the company that sold the drugs was ordered to stop selling them, said a spokeswoman at the No. 2 Hospital at Nanchang University in Jiangxi province.

The spokeswoman, who would give only her last name Yu, did not provide any other details. It was not immediately clear if the drugs in question were also used for treating patients outside of China.

Immune globulin is an antibody extracted from blood plasma that can be injected into muscles to protect against hepatitis A, and Rhesus disease in pregnant women. It is rarely used to protect against hepatitis A in developed countries where a childhood vaccination is normally given.

A spokeswoman for China's State Food and Drug Administration, Yan Jiangying, confirmed the six had died.

A notice on the administration's Web site said an initial inspection of samples of the antibody confirmed there were some abnormalities.

A notice on the Web site of the Jiangxi Food and Drug Administration said the people died between May 22 and May 28.

The drugs were produced by Jiangxi Boya Bio-Pharmaceutical Co., and had the same batch number, the notice said.

The State Food and Drug Administration and the Health Ministry ordered the company to suspend sales last week and recall the batch of immune globulin, the administration said on its Web site.

China's pharmaceutical industry is highly lucrative but spottily regulated, enticing some to try to cash in by substituting fake or substandard ingredients.

In April, five officials from a Chinese pharmaceutical company that sold a tainted antibiotic responsible for more than a dozen deaths were sentenced up to seven years in prison.
    If the Chinese can't reliably provide western medicine to themselves or the world, what makes anyone think there is safety with their TCM products, which are far less investigated, less scientifically proven for efficacy and safety, and almost completely unregulated?
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

I treat myself and my family primarily with herbs and qigong for anything that falls under general practice medicine.

I do go to western practitioners as well, for regular checkups, and diagnostics. (bloodwork, etc). My wife gets full western and tcm prenatal care, and we see both an OBGYN and a more holistically minded midwife. She takes prenatal vitamins, and herbs.

I think there is benefit to using both. ESPECIALLY in cancer treatment.

But if I was ever offered prescription medication for high blood pressure, cholesterol, or depression, I'd refuse the treatment immediatly. I also wouldnt allow any of my children or my wife to take psychiatric medicines.

After studying pharmacology in some detail, ive come to the conclusion that I'll use respiratory medications as needed, and ill take or recomend antibiotics when needed, but i'll never be caught dead taking a cholesterol or blood pressure pill regardless of the scenario.
      Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Originally posted by daodejing View Post
        but i'll never be caught dead taking a cholesterol or blood pressure pill regardless of the scenario.
        I would be careful recommending that to everyone. I've taken care of far too many people with hypertension who did not respond to garlic and the other herbalistic approaches. The problem eventually becomes one of simple, easy to treat high blood pressure, to heart and kidney damage. In people with mild htn, I'm all for trying it (I did for myself), but as people age, live in a society which is overly laden with sodium, stress and inactivity, these herbalistic approaches are just not strong enough.

And once you get the heart damage associated with htn, you can't always get rid of it.

Psychiatric medications for children, I'm with you. I personally think we use too many medications and far too less discipline nowadays. Bring back the days of the hell and fury Catholic nuns armed with rulers and fists...
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Ah yes, the memories of Catholic School. It was 7th grade reading class, Sister Marilyn asked me a question. When I didn't look up from the project I was working on quickly enough, her iron fist locked onto my hair, pulled my head up, and I got a smack in the mouth. I think she was from the order of the Marquis De Sade. I remember making a fist and thinking I would drive it right through her rib cage, and pull her heart out. But then, from somewhere in my stored memory, the sound of my dear sweet mother echoed in my head, boys don't hit girls. So I didn't. Sister, if you're still out there, God forbid still teaching, take a lesson from the surfers and Jiu-jutsu people and Hang Loose!

Comment

Dao, i have a buddhist friend who is under heavy psychiatric medication. For instance, she claims to hear voices, but she has such a sensivity i would not be surprised she hears things we cannot, though she might also be delirious.

Anyway, why wouldnt you recommend psychiatric medication?

Comment

"Interesting" and relevant news article today from Fox News:

Teen Refused Chemo, Beat Cancer With 'Alternative' Therapies

FLOYD, Va. — Starchild Abraham Cherrix has plenty of reason to celebrate his 18th birthday Friday.

His latest blood results show no indication of the Hodgkin's disease he's battled since 2005, and for the first time in two years he doesn't have to report those results to the Accomack County court.

Cherrix won a court battle against state officials who tried to force him to undergo chemotherapy for his lymphatic cancer. He was allowed to treat the disease using alternative therapies, but his family was required to keep the court updated as to his progress.

His case led to a state law named after him that gives Virginia teenagers and their parents the right to refuse doctor-recommended treatments for life-threatening ailments.

Cherrix completed radiation treatments last year. He has also used alternative herbal treatments.

russbo.com

Comment

Currently the best treatment for most cancers is what's called Fu Zhen therapy, or a combination of going with the oncologists recomendations for chemo or radiation as appropriate, but supplementing with chinese herbs and acupuncture treatments to build blood, strengthen the immune system, and build the digestive system after chemo therapy.

Ive seen great results with this combination, essentially you use herbs to help the patient recover from the chemo so that they can endure there allopathic treatment.

Comment

The point from article, as I see it, which touted the "beating of cancer using alternative treatments", was the last sentence.

Cherrix completed radiation treatments last year.
                  Many Hodgkin's patients only get radiation therapy, as many of the Hodgkin's variants are radiosensitive, and do not require adjutant chemotherapy.

Oh, and garlic is touted in western herbalistic literature as an antihypertensive, good for cardiovascular health.

russbo.com

Comment

yea i go to the "western" doctor

and when did dao get married...hmmm
                    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Oh yeah. Technically not married yet but we've been living toghether for years. Her dad calls me son and her older brother once introduced me to relatives as his "brother in law".

I often refer to her as the wife, or the woman.

Comment

Working...
                      X