getting to wudang & other places to see

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting to wudang & other places to see

Anyone know how long it would take to get to wudang from shaolin and which route would be the fastest? And for those of you who have been there is it worth the trip?
    Also, what places would you recomend that are closer to beijing (less than a day by train)?
    I only have 2 weeks in china and am trying to maximise my time, any advice is much appreciated.

thanks,
    kunoichi

Near Beijing you can go to Chengde, a very big summer palace for the Qing emperors.

There you can visit many palaces and daoist and buddhist temples. There are imitations of minority architecture. So you can see imitation of tibetan temples.

Very beautiful and historically interesting place.

And dont forget, dont use violence towards animals there, try to feel the mystic, try to be vegetarian!

Comment

travel from shaolin to wudang

there goes a train from zhengzhou strait to wudang village, I thought the trip took about 18 hours or something. Its pretty long for such a short distance because of the rough terrain.

I believe Wudang Shan is one of the most beautiful places I`ve ever been. The atmosphere is also very special, don`t know how to explain, but the place feels great.

Because you don`t have much time, perhaps you could take a plane to Shiyan, which is very close to Wudang.

Comment

I thought it was Wuhan; I'm probably wrong as my memory fails me. I'm checking on it, waiting for one of the gang in Beijing to get back to me.

As I remember, as I wanted to do this trip from Dengfeng to Wudangshan many years ago but got sidetracked because of bad dysentery, it was a fairly long train ride from Zhengzhou to Wuhan or wherever, and then, an eight hour train ride from there to Wudangshan, after which much time was taken for the ascent into the mountain. Basically, it's going to be one hell of a trip if you want to add that.

Other suggestions: Huangshan and Guilin, you could knock both of those off in three days, and you're near major airports so you can easily get in and out. Huangshan is probably one of the most beautiful mountains in the world.

Xian is an overnight train ride from Zhengzhou; the terracotta warriors are interesting, but, after the first look, they're kind of like Thai hookers: "When you've seen one, you've seen them all". The wall which surrounds Xian, I think the oldest surviving and largest wall around a city in China, is pretty awesome to see.

Going further west to Emeishan is going to take a few days. One day to fly, two days to drive and ascend Emeishan. Figure four days out of your itinerary. It's phenomenal; the view of the Himalayas in the distances is unforgettable. But if you've only got two weeks, you're pushing it.

I'd suggest three to four days in Beijing (Ba Da Ling, Ming tombs, Summer palace, Temple of Heaven, Forbidden City, and the latest Olympics structures); a quick trip to Shaolin and Dengfeng (visit Decheng and Deyang while you're there, give the abbot a kiss for me, I'm sure he misses me terribly...), and then off to Huangshan (two days), Guilin and Yangshuo (two days). That would wrap up your time nicely and give you an awesome view into eastern China.

Save the western part for another trip. Yunnan province would take at least a week of your time; Lhasa is a must see for anyone before the Chinese completely ruin the place, and the northwest of China (Silk road) is fascinating, but not completely safe.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

OK, got a confirmation from the gang in Beijing

You do fly from Zhengzhou to Wuhan (should be an hour flight or so), and then take a train to Wudang. I remember it being an eight hour train ride from Wuhan.

Or, you can take a train from Beijing "directly" to Wudang; god knows how many stops you'd have to make, or how many times you'll have to change the train. But it's supposed to be a twenty or so hour ride.

You can also take a taxi, or bus, from Wuhan to Wudangshan. God knows I'd never recommend the bus; if it's an eight hour train ride, it's got to be a sixteen hour bus ride. The taxi might take a day, depending upon what the roads are like. Things have changed over the years, it might not be that bad.

Remember, the road from Zhengzhou airport back in 95 (Zhengzhou airport had some portions of roof that were tin, and a lot of dirt floor areas...) to Shaolin took about four to five hours. Now, with the new highway, about one hour. Not sure what's going on with Wudang though.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by kunoichi2003 View Post
            Anyone know how long it would take to get to wudang from shaolin and which route would be the fastest? And for those of you who have been there is it worth the trip?
            Also, what places would you recomend that are closer to beijing (less than a day by train)?
            I only have 2 weeks in china and am trying to maximise my time, any advice is much appreciated.

thanks,
            kunoichi

china? for 2 weeks? what are you going to do? take a crap, bury it, then leave?
            "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Hey MS , do you know that the position of ur avatar is quite similar to a yoga asana called Siva tree?

Comment

cool.?....
                "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Working...
                X