cycling bangkok to phuket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cycling bangkok to phuket

so...my plans to get to the olympics may have to change -- not sure yet. an alternative, however, could be cycling in thailand. for those of you who know the area and route, what's your opinion? i've heard good things in terms of road conditions, traffic, etc....

bangkok to phuket 539 miles\ 862 kilometers

thanks...
    ZhongwenMovies.com

Be forewarned. It is a 12 hour drive by bus from BKK to HKT. The roads tend to be really good, as I've been told (I haven't done it; I prefer the ***** way of getting here, taking the plane for an hour). My idea of bicycling is riding around the driveway.

I know people, some of whom are much older than me, that ride bikes once a month from HKT to Ranong. They do it in 11 hours. From your map, that gives an approx bike ride time of, oh, thirty hours or so. There are some nice places to stop on the way; Cha Am and Hua Hin are nice, as are Khao Lak. The middle stuff is going to be basically green.

It would be a hell of a trip. Why are your olympic's hopes dashed?
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Dude that sounds awesome : )

When are you heading there?

Comment

basically i can get to thailand and back for about 6,000nt....which is about 180 us dollars. and i don't need a visa.

the visa one can obtain in hongkong to enter china is....well, i hear quite expensive these days (if you're doing the one day in and out thing...that i'd need to do). like 200 bucks or something. the flight from taipei to beijing is also currently around 7 or 8 hundred dollars, though i still may be able to get myself to shanghai on a cheap flight..

so mostly because of financial issues, but there are a few other facters playing into this too.

anyhow, whether i go to china or thailand, i'll probably be taking the trip for a couple weeks in august. if i choose thailand, the distance seems doable in approximately 6-8 days, especially seeing that it looks mostly flat, but it could work out to be a nice relaxing 2 week tour as well.....

btw...this is the route i took from taipei to taidong this past january. (about 600km).
        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Did you sleep in Hostels?
          If so, whats the average price you can expect to pay for one in Taiwan? In Thailand?

Comment

yes. usually the going rate in taiwan is from about 300 to 600nt (that's 10 to 20 dollars a night). i can't speak for thailand.
            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

as it looks, i will most likely be going to thailand. i've learned today, actually, that foreigners can't even get visas in HK right now (due to the increased amount of apps before the Games). i'd have to apply to the san fran consular office, which would take a while.

i think this will be a nice alternative...and a far less expensive one to boot....
              ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Why are the Chinese being so restrictive with visas? Same reason they didn't put sit down toilets in the oliympic station venues?

If you come to Phuket, we shall graciously honor your presence, as only doc and his gf know how. But, we might be heading to the US by mid August.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Sorry to butt in, but Gdamn! i have to salute you on that one!

btw, if you dont mind me asking, what olympic sport do you do?

i totally missed it...

thats all..
                  "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

UM, our Olympic sport here in Thailand is called "LBFM Boom Boom".

One of the few sports I'm actually good at. Not a champion, but most definitely a contender.

russbo.com

Comment

cycling, but i don't do it for the olympics. lol... it's just a hobby of mine. originally my plan was to go to beijing to watch the olympics, not compete in them. (though i did do a sprint triathlon last summer...if that's relavent)/

for me, cycling through a country is a way to check it out... learn about it....meet people...and so on. it's really a wonderful experience. my plan is to do peru and italy some day.

cycling in thailand, to be more specific, is just an alternative to attending the olympics...as a spectator.
                      ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Except for the occasional rain storm, July August is good weather. And the roads are good and usually empty.

I'll never forget a good friend of mine from medical school, who got engaged after graduation, and took his fiance on a cross country bike trip from Upstate New York to California.

They road the highways on their bikes, along the side meridian.

Both got killed when a driver, in a rush, decided to pass this one car on the right instead of the left.

Be careful. There aren't too many nutty drivers in Thailand, just slow ones. If you do eventually get to Phuket, and I'm here, we'll provide you with free training. And some food and entertainment.

doc is always the good host.

russbo.com

Comment

Oh, here's a favorite sport of mine:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34LtrnnXQTc"]YouTube - Simpsons Map for Quake III Arena[/ame]

russbo.com

Comment

doc, very sorry to hear about your friends. my prayers and condolences.

onesping, thats a cool hobby! you must have a comfortable bike seat.

when i was young me and my friends used to ride about 10 miles to the shopping mall and mess around. i cant imagine biking across a country, or even a city for that matter .

you crack me up doc, "my idea of biking is riding around the driveway"LOL

lol, i didnt know they had a simpsons platform for quake battlegrounds...
                            "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Make sure that your bike seat is really hard.

We want to make sure that you're temporarily sterile for when we introduce you to our beloved LBFM's....

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X