No announcement yet.

Guide in Tibet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If i remember correctly the bodhisattva vow ritual, u can choose which vows u want to follow.
    those are some very convenient vows.

As for what will happen if one changes his mind or break the vows, according to buddhism it is more a question of karma than of breaking a religious rule.
    so you're suggesting i do something deeply religious purely out of curiosity or interest, when this act would then most probability, according to buddhism, result in some sort of negative karmic reaction for myself. why?

As for having a christian life, if u do not commit sin against any living being, including animals, that will perfectly do for a buddhist, though it might not guarantee you will not suffer.
    yes, but since you're into rituals yourself, i think you may also like to go to a nearby church this weekend to talk with a paster about how to know god, the one and only, through jesus christ his lord and savior. these specific rituals just happen to have founded much of western civilization.

perhaps buddhists will never fully ever be accepted by christians, but at least they (christians) guarantee no suffering after lights out and you go to heaven.......that is, where you and others won't be because you'd rather spend the rest of eternity in hell wishing you'd seen the signs that point to jesus christ the lord and only wholly savior.
    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Friend,

1 i really dont want to push u to take the bodhisattva vows, i just thought u might find the ritual interesting.

As for taking vows and breaking them, u might inquire this question at the bodhisattva vow section:

The conclusion of Doctor Berzin is that these vows are difficult to lose, mainly because by breaking a vow out of ignorance is not a root downfall...

"Therefore, when trying to decide to take or not the vows, it is more reasonable to base the decision on an assessment of our ability to sustain continuity in our effort on keeping them as guidelines, rather than our ability to keep them perfectly."

See, the concept of the sin is quite different from a certain monotheist perspective because of the idea of ignorance. So dont be afraid if u change ur mind and keep a non violent attitude, no buddhist god will push u to hell...

2 I go to church ocassionally, but my karmic connection is more with western and indian philosophy than monotheism.

About the fact that u might suffer though u r non violent, remember Damo explaining the emperor that he had no merits in doing good actions. Hui Neng, the 6 patriarch, explains that merits are only created through seeing our own nature (emptiness i suppose), by which we might be saved from samsara.

Traditional christian having the concept of an eternal heaven is much more safe but might be a little simplistic. Mystics might be polytheist.

3 So what signs did u have from Jesus?

Peace and love

Comment

for me they are quite the same. sin...karma...i mean what's the difference? on one hand you suffer cause you've crossed god...on the other you cross yourself due to desire and this results in a state of disequilibrium that invariably causes further problems. buddhists have the concept of nirvana, which they chase.....as do christians and others have the idea of heaven. neither one is anymore concrete or verifiable.

i understand why, i suppose, but i've never been one to want to join a frat just cause it sounded interesting, am into rituals, culture, etc.. even if they do good things and promote a positive world view, i still have no interest in signing up.

the usefulness and importance of the various principles that we find in the major religions are undeniable. this does not mean, however, that what religions teach to be true is actually true; it means rather that these religions reflect an aspect of nature, the human spirit, that have endured over time and which promote growth and togetherness. just as a black belt is only good for holding up one's pants in a fight, in a sense, a vow by any other name is just some good sounding new year's resolution...

i feel belief in this respect be harmful instead of helpful, since it's inherently divisive, and so remain nondenominational myself.
        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Working...
        X