Shi De Qian dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shi De Qian dead

Shi De Qian died on August 23 at 7AM of stomach cancer.

He was seventy years old.

A true friend, scholar, and gentleman. And a Shaolin icon non-pareil, one of the last of his kind. He will surely be missed by many.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

This is unfortunate for us because of his large contributions to keeping the Shaolin in written form. If I'm not mistaken, he was the author and compiler of the Shaolin Encyclopedia. A great loss to Shaolin, and the Shaolin community at large.
    "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Hey Doc,

Have you considered looking for someone to translate, and then publish Deqian's "Shaolin Encyclopedia" in America lately? Maybe now would be a good time to do it.
      "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

Comment

He and I had talked many years ago about partnering on that very thing. Problem was, translating it would have been a nightmare. It's written in traditional Chinese, with the older grammar form, that few understand now (as I'm told; I can't read the shit at all...)
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I'm sure there's got to be a translater fluent in both english and traditional chinese. However, I can see the problem in finding such a person who would also be pretty familiar with Shaolin at the same time.

Comment

It's not just Traditional Chinese (written). It's the grammar that's also different.

When I got my little red monk book translated (the Vows), that actually took some doing. Took a while for my seventy plus year old friend to translate it correctly. I would need graduate students in a University setting to work on DeQian's book. Don't think I haven't played with this idea, many years ago...

And then, the question is, is it worth it? I've heard that there's a lot of crap in that book, and not a lot of substance. But, I really wouldn't know. It does have the forms, in a traditional manner.

russbo.com

Comment

True, so an edited version would be better for publishing, but would probably be even harder because all of it would have to be translated and then the irrelevant stuff would not be used. I remember when you first showed me the books in Vegas they were huge.

Guess it was a nice thought, but now that I think about it, probably not so plausible to publish it. Oh well, better to let it go, wouldn't want it to look like the Taguo books, whoever translated those books didn't know English all too well.

Comment

can you post a few pages to let us have a look at it?
                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

My books are packed up in boxes in some storehouse somewhere here in Vegas. Not sure when I'll be able to get them out, but, once I do, I'll do so.

Keep reminding me.

Years ago, some university people had announced that they were translating his book. I had discussed this with DeQian, he had told me that he had given no one permission to translate his books into English. I advised these people of that, and then never heard from them again.

I had heard last year that YongXin was having it translated, and was going to present it at the Olympics. Guess that never happened. Not sure what's going on with these books now.

russbo.com

Comment

I found a couple places online that supposedly still sell it:

One is the four-volume set.

The other is an edited two-volume set.

It would be nice to own as a keep sake, especially after selling my Taguo collection a year and a half ago. Still can't believe I did that....

Comment

То, что PIN-UP Ukraine поддерживает гуманитарные и благотворительные проекты для украинцев, является особенно важным. Я считаю, что если компании будут уделять больше внимания своей социальной ответственности, это может положительно повлиять на общественный дискурс и способствовать повышению уровня благополучия украинского народа. https://lenta.ua/ru/stalo-izvestno-k...22-god-135549/

Comment

Working...
                      X