Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are many older Gong-Fu monks in terrible condition ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes..there is alot said isnt there..also applys to my arguement with the new age hippy gung fu men in the xing yi thread or as i like to call them the 3 stooges..probably spelled stooges wrong lolo

something i dont know if its ever been discussed here though that always interested me was, even though few shaolin practitioners or even monks for that matter understand is how much shaolin empty hand techniques are based on bridgeing, which is the basis of most weapons fighting aswell.

i dunno anything about "kendo" which is what he is a practitioner of but you can see the obvious relationship of bridgeing and the importance, espcially at his age.

which is obviously an interesting topic considering alot of people argue u know what came first the weapons or the hand combat, i believe the weapons and that the hand techs are based off weapons, even the sensitivity training etc everything u know..

but thats another topic for probably some more combat oriented peeps
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I will have to say that I am normally quite a calm, easy-going person; but when I am hitting the heavy bag, or shadow-boxing, I go crazy. I am learning to be fully effective in a fight that being peaceful will not do much, but practically going just "apeshit" will give me the mentality to overrun some one.

I feel that if you cannot flip that switch in your head, that it maybe very difficult to be an effective fiighter.
      "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Fa Hui, i ve read Thich Nhat Hanh's book on anger a few weeks ago and in there he says that to eat a cushion with agressivity to release ur anger is just a bad idea, because it just plants more seeds of anger.

I dont know though...

But i think u have some sadistic tendancies u should be careful of, though maybe they are mostly unconscious. Like punishing for instance.

Om mani pedme hung

Comment

Originally posted by Fa Hui View Post
          but practically going just "apeshit" will give me the mentality to overrun some one.

I feel that if you cannot flip that switch in your head, that it maybe very difficult to be an effective fiighter.
          I think that one of the reasons why gong fu is good for fighting training, is the mental calmness that it should give you in times of duress.

Going "apeshit" in any stressful situation might not lead to a favorable outcome. Unless you like to see the world from behind bars.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
            I think that one of the reasons why gong fu is good for fighting training, is the mental calmness that it should give you in times of duress.

Going "apeshit" in any stressful situation might not lead to a favorable outcome. Unless you like to see the world from behind bars.
            I mean it from a controlled and focused point of view. Any person who loses control is not someone has trained in any form of martial art at all.
            "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

Comment

You mean, to augment an emotion such as rage or fury and focus it to where you are able to channel it into your practice?

Comment

Originally posted by itsjustaname View Post
                Can you please say something more on """ (y)our body will change in a predictable way, because it has to work in a certain way to generate kung fu power""" and """Kung fu power for various changes to your body that some people would view as being negative"""
                What if the price of becoming a kung fu master, was that one of your limbs would atropy? What if to become a kung fu master, your right arm, your right leg, your left arm, or your left leg, would atrophy and become visually distorted to the naked eye.

Would you call that crippled? You have strong kung fu power. But you also have a withered, visually distorted limb. Would the withered arm be negative, if you also get strong kung fu power with it?

are you implying that getting cripled later on is some sort of overcompensation of being athelticly powerful before?
                That is exactly what I am implying. You get 5 stars for being a grade A thinker.

if so, than to me, the true meaning of training has not been grasped.
                I think you are implying that any crippling of the body would be due to improper practice of whatever style of kung fu the person was engaged in. I do not agree. I believe it is a product of the way the human body is constructed, that if it is developed in a specific way, the body will change in other ways, that some people would personally judge as being negative.

Comment

"I will have to say that I am normally quite a calm, easy-going person; but when I am hitting the heavy bag, or shadow-boxing, I go crazy. I am learning to be fully effective in a fight that being peaceful will not do much, but practically going just "apeshit" will give me the mentality to overrun some one."

i couldnt disagree more, and dont play that oh im completely focused when im going crazy and apeshit trying to overrun people lolo.

get a grip. if you havent passed this mediocre stage of training you havent met anyone with skill yet or you havent experienced what a skilled person can do to you. i never think about "overruning" anyone however big or small they are, or going crazy or "apeshit"

thats the mentality that gets you crippled or killed or raped lolo
                  "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

You never think about overrunning someone? What do you think fighting is like?

I have met and trained with plenty of skilled people, and everyone has a different way of fighting, regardless of what their "style" is.

You don't know me Maestro, nor have ever met me or know what's really going on in my head when I'm training, or how in control I am. Trust me, it is not "real" emotion, but something I am able turn on and off like a light switch. Plus, in sparring I never do it because that is a mean and terrible to do to a training partner and/or friend.

Mentality and attitude are also important components in being an effective fighter.

Comment

I hear you on that, Fa.

And don't worry about the skeptical commentary, when it comes to letting testosterone take over the wheel, some of the people who disagree with you on the thread are perfect examples of that very phenomenon in real life.

Comment

Thanks Dogchow108.

Comment

define "apeshit" because to me, it is conjuring a certain image that is frankly, well, fighting someone who is going 'apeshit' the way I am thinking you mean it- and I could be wrong- but to me fighting someone who goes apeshit on you, well that is like eating smarties out of Miss November's pum pum lips.

it just seems completely contrary to training gong fu or any other martial art I ever trained in.
                          "Arhat, I am your father..."
                          -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Eating smarties out of Miss November's pum pum lips?

Care to elaborate? Dad here just doesn't get it. Do I need to spend more time in church?
                            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by mbokohutu View Post
                              What if the price of becoming a kung fu master, was that one of your limbs would atropy?
                              then I would say you are an imbecile. it's good in the movies though, I love the guys with the black hand that needs to be shrouded...they cook themselves in the bath with rhino pricks, shark fins, and shriveled bear tongues...

but, like that guy Pan Qing Fu, the iron hand, with the spurs....no thanks. The thing is, you can achieve that kind of power without the extreme deformation.

generally I think you are right that training changes your body- for one, depending on your style, you build greater short twitch muscle....your tendons definitely change. When my brother was in a serious car accident the surgeon who removed his spleen and pieces of ribs that punctured his lung, he wanted to know what he "did" because he never cut into anyone like him before...

but a lot of gong fu masters are just fine into their old age. Stories of Wan Heng banging out farts and cai jiaos, for example, are far from unfounded, Dr Yang Jwing Ming was spry, flexible, powerful...Hai Deng, although rumor is his one finger ch'an was faked in the famous footage shot of it, well he was still ass kicking...you can't really look at Su Xi and say his condition is indicative- don't forget what he went through in the CR.
                              "Arhat, I am your father..."
                              -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

And, what are "smarties"?

Guess I do need to spend more time in church...

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X