• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMA Fighter Evan Tanner

Report: Former UFC champ Tanner found dead
    by John Pollock, The Fight Network

Updated: September 9, 2008, 7:51 AM EST
    add this RSS blog email print
    A body believed to be former UFC middleweight champ Evan Tanner's was found on Monday in the Palo Verde mountain area in California after Tanner had gone missing in the area over the weekend.

Tanner, 37, had blogged ominously about his trip into the desert to "cleanse."

Read more at...

For more MMA news and features, check out thefightnetwork.com.

"I plan on going so deep into the desert, that any failure of my equipment, could cost me my life," he wrote on his journal for Spike TV.

A member of his management team told Yahoo! Sports, "What we were told is that (Sheriff's officials who found Tanner) believe his motorcycle had run out of gas, so he went to walk out in like 115- to 118-degree heat. He was miles away from his camp. That's where the helicopter found him. Right now, they just think that he succumbed to the heat."

Tanner made his MMA debut in April of 1997 winning three fights in one night, including a win over Paul Buentello. His biggest fight came in February of 2001 when he challenged then UFC Light Heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz in the main event of UFC 30 but was knocked out in just 32 seconds.

Tanner later moved down to 185 pounds and won the vacant UFC Middleweight Championship over David Terrell, but then lost the title in June of 2005 to Rich Franklin in a fight where the winner would also become one of the coaches for the 2nd season of "The Ultimate Fighter".

The UFC signed Tanner to a four fight contract last November with the first fight of that contract taking place earlier this year in March at UFC 82 in Columbus, Ohio. He lost by KO to Yushin Okami and then suffered another loss in June to Kendall Grove by split decision on the TUF 7 Finale show in Las Vegas.
    Kinda of a sad event for the MMA world. Evan Tanner was one of the earlier champions of the UFC, and was attempting to regain that status. He was on his way back from a long journey of alcohol and drug abuse. RIP.
    "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Just goes to show what a fruitless career choice this can be. Everyone sees the glamor, no one really looks at what happens "next year".
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

I agree. I think it's like all other professional sports, despite some of the fighters being able to fight into their 40s, something is still going to be needed for after when your body is all beaten to hell. One of the reasons why I choose not to fight; that and my girlfriend made me promise I wouldn't.
      "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

I knew some professional football guys that had short careers. The "fall" can be pretty harsh, and it can be tough to rebound into something else.

These fighters, after their steroids and head injuries, it's got to be harder for them.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Tanner, with a wrestling historical past, started fighting in 1997 when he turned into convinced via friends to go into a neighborhood MMA event hosted by using the now-defunct Unified Shoot Wrestling Federation. He won the event by defeating 3 fighters in a single night time, consisting of future UFC heavyweight contender Paul Buentello.

Comment

Working...
          X