Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Box Jellyfish: Chironex fleckeri (Cubozoa)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box Jellyfish: Chironex fleckeri (Cubozoa)

PANWA: The Phuket Marine Biological Center (PMBC) has issued an official warning following the collection of almost 40 box jellyfish in a trap in shallow waters off Ao Nambor, on Phuket’s east coast.

Some 38 of the jellyfish, which favor shallow brackish water, were recovered from a fish trap in a mangrove area on July 30. Eighteen more were found in the same area over a two-day collection period starting on October 20.

The search for the deadly jellyfish followed the reported death of a Swedish tourist off Koh Lanta, where another person was reported stung on April 3 this year.
    Box jellyfish, also known as the "Sea Wasp" is one of the most dangerous sea creatures known to man. It's venom can kill within minutes, causing cardiac arrest and neuromuscular paralysis. It is usually found off the coast of Vietnam and the Philippines, in shallow waters, and is occasionally found off of Hawaii, presumably during it's spawning season. It is also commonly found off the northern areas of Australia.

Now, it has been found in the bay off the east side of Phuket. It has been found in the Gulf of Thailand previously. It presumably will not be found on the popular beaches of the west side of Phuket because of the increased salinity of the water.
    Attached Files
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

There's been some debate as to whether or not these jellyfish sightings have been truly box jellyfish.

People tend to believe not.

I would suggest caution until the issue is resolved; these things are deadly.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Working...
    X