Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stockpiling for China (a.k.a. Deodourant post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stockpiling for China (a.k.a. Deodourant post)

Less than four months till I'm on the plane to China, so recently I've been collecting items I've been led to believe are difficult (generally) to find in China, even more rare to come across in Dengfeng. Trawling China related forums and chat sites, one thing crops up again and again, namely the lack of deodourant (or deodorant for the American readers) available. First and foremost is there any truth to this? secondly, I don't really want to lug a suitcase full of 'necessities' to China, however from exploring the site and Doc's journals I don't get a very optimistice impression as to the reliabilty of the Chinese postal system; this said, would it be practicle to send over these items?

For me deodourant is the main concern, I take pity on the poor Chinese who'll have deal with a very smelly, psuedo-hyper-hydrosis sufferer if I can't get my hands on some. What I would really like to know about is any other item that is hard to find (conducive to training or otherwise)
    in Dengfeng. Already started on my Gatorade powder (won't be bringing a suitcase full of ready-made bottles Doc), any other suggestions will be warmly welcomed.

Many thanks,

Josh

where in china? if u gonna be close to a big city i wouldnt worry to much, id bring protein shakes, and general hygenic items and multivitamins
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

i would say, regardess of where you are in china, bring deodorant. unless you want to use really crappy roll-on stuff that has a woman's fragrance, that's probably the only stuff you'll get your hands on. deodorant is a must. chinese don't use it.

other than that, maybe some socks. i like thicker cotton ankle type socks and they're hard to find over here. chinese sometimes wear super thin ones, too, though you can get cotton socks in any major store. they're just not the same quality, in my opinion, and you tend to go through more pairs when training.

not really sure what else.
      ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

a zafu for sitting meditation

Comment

And don't forget to bring a decent supply of whatever medicine you are taking.

Depending upon how large you are, t shirts and undies. I can't get t shirts even in Thailand, which usually has almost everything that one might need. As G mentioned, socks. I was never big on bringing a lot of deodorant, as I really didn't give a shit if I offended the Chinese with my smell. They always offended me with their cigarettes, spitting, and blowing huge loads of snot out of their noses in restaurants.

It's not as bad now as it was back in the nineties, when you really had to bring "everything". You can find most anything in Beijing now; Dengfeng is growing and getting more inhabitable all the time.

Make sure that you have ways of getting money. A good ATM card from a well recognized bank, with the Star or Plus insignias is a must, along with a Mastercard that you can draw money from (Bank of China will give cash to Mastercard). AMEX Travelers Cheques can be a pain in the ass to deal with; getting them cashed is not as easy as you may think.

Medical insurance, and medical evacuation insurance, is a MUST. I have some stories about that, once I find the time. It's on the list of things to do. (First, upgrading russboTV, which has been more of a hit than I ever imagined).

Contact lens stuff will be hard to find, depending upon what brand you use. Bring extra cleansing liquid, and extra lenses.

Extra power supply for your laptop, if you travel like I do.

And when you get tired of it, extra money so that you can buy a ticket to Thailand and really have fun.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

Working...
          X