No announcement yet.

Shaolin systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i dont know about daoism, but i think thats 李弘 lǐ hóng. same surname "li" as li sou and jet li, but different hong. its not a surname.

弘 hóng = great

different tone, meaning, and character altogether.

Comment

even though i want to talk more about what we were talking about before, it is interesting what you guys talk about the character hong.

u mentioned hungkyun, or hung kuen whatever u wanna call it hung gar, its interesting because were often told hung gar means to stand tall with integrity you said it means great so obviously thats what they are getting at.

but whats interesting to me atleast being a prac of this system is the many different but similar accounts of the origins of the style but in the end who is right? the answer is no one.

for instance our legends tell us that hung gar was derived from the northern shaolin temple between the conclusion of the ming dynasty and establishment of the qing. but another says that it is named so because of a tea merchant named hung hei goon(who was called the "southern fist") who trained under shaolin monk gee seen sim see. but another legend says that it was named so because it was taught and practiced by shaolin rebels hung society(hung mun) to help overthrow the qing(destroy the qing restore the ming was a popular saying)

the hung society has 2 legends of how it got its name, they adopted the name of the first ming emperor hung wu, or after 5 monks found the grandson of the last emperor, ju hung juk, was still alive, they formed the society with the idea of him as the emperor. it is said the sky turned red at the founding ceremony, so being that it was the second name of the grandson and the red color of the sky at the ceremony, and it also meant great, vast, big etc

so just a little bit of interesting information regarding history and the oral and written accounts of these styles.. ill post later but atm busy training and haveto get to sleep soon
      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Originally posted by Maestro View Post
        u mentioned hungkyun, or hung kuen whatever u wanna call it hung gar, its interesting because were often told hung gar means to stand tall with integrity you said it means great so obviously thats what they are getting at.
        that was the character in "li hong" brought up by liutangsanzang. its a different character, 弘 hóng, which means great/liberal.

the characters for hùhng-gā-kyùhn in cantonese, hóngjiāquán in mandarin, are 洪家拳.

this character, 洪 hóng, is a surname. when used in daily speech it means flood/vast/immense.

家 jiā = family/home
        拳 quán = boxing/fist

so 洪家拳 (hùhng-gā-kyùhn / hóngjiāquán) means "hong family boxing".

although, in my experience, almost everyone in southern china, at least in foshan, that i have spoken to, drop the gā/family and refer to it as hùhng-kyùhn.

the confusion i think comes from several characters sharing the exact same pronunciation and tone in mandarin, even similar meanings:

洪 hóng = surname hong/flood/vast/immense
        弘 hóng = great/enlarge/expand/liberal
        宏 hóng = wide/spacious/great/vast
        红 hóng = red

Comment

Isnt it a confucian purpose to make names right under the ski?

Interesting chinese histori

I was wondering what u guis thought of the political ideas of shaolin si in the past.

the famous slogan about qing and ming does not seem veri deep political philosophi and insight on the conditions of non violence

i think that about most buddhist ideas though, that thei hadnt deep political philosophi insight, but that might be a prejudice

what do u think?

Comment

Working...
          X