Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Historical vindication of the Shaolin Temple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LFJ View Post
    ... oh, and doc, who just loves controversy. lol
    You're right man. Twelve years of web site work, years of visits, and god knows how much time and expense, and the truly honorable people who really promote the Shaolin Temple can be found here: http://www.shaolinsecrets.com/

You just wont' find nothing but damage, disgrace and egregious behavior here at russbo.com. We've done nothing good.

(But, what do you expect from a New Yorker...)
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

That site is great Doc. I have always wanted "super human strength" and "animal flexibility". I especially like this guy, looks like he accidently kicked himself in the stomach and got his foot stuck. Then, while trying to dislodge it, he got his other foot stuck behind his head.
      Attached Files
      The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

Yes, and what a money making machine it is.

Read about the site owners. You'll get a kick out of it.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Cross View Post
          Are you happy learning what you are learning? Is their martial arts ability good? Is their morality good? If you are happy with your answers to these questions nothing else matters does it.
          thats true for most. but my point is that shaolin is not a martial arts school. if thats what you go there for you'll likely be disappointed.

people like master deyang arent simply martial artists who teach people to fight. he teaches wushuchan, chan of martial arts. there are such people who do exist in shaolin temple behind all the garbage.

of course, people may think they are learning from a "real monk" but later get let down. however, i dont think anyone would be let down by the morality of master deyang. after all spreading morality is the meaning of his dharma name.

he truly does fit the bill.

Comment

Wow. That's pretty awesome to train with Shi Deyang. From what I've heard he doesn't have many non-Chinese students, and I'd imagine the books are just about closed considering his declining health. He certainly does seem far more authentic than most monks (e.g. you rarely see him posing in Kungfu Tai Chi magazine).

Comment

LFJ mai i ask u 3 questions:

1 what is the chinese vinaia for stepping on insect?

i read that bodhidhamma said no holiness, the cri of an ant. sounds jain to me

2 in the theravada angulimala sutta it is said that gotama, the disciple of jains, said criminals should not be killed or hurt but taught non violence

can u be a luohan if u dont do something against death penalti? r the monks teaching in jail?

3 how to explain bu sha sheng?

thanks and peace and love

Comment

Originally posted by Like Water View Post
                Wow. That's pretty awesome to train with Shi Deyang. From what I've heard he doesn't have many non-Chinese students, and I'd imagine the books are just about closed considering his declining health. He certainly does seem far more authentic than most monks (e.g. you rarely see him posing in Kungfu Tai Chi magazine).
                non-chinese direct students, no. but he does spend a lot of time in europe teaching non-chinese and has recently accepted two of his first non-chinese personal disciples. despite many non-chinese claiming to be his disciples. but you'll have that.

also he teaches non-chinese at his school in china when they come, despite what doc says about him, trying to dissuade people from training there, instead to go to master decheng. not sure why he says that, or if he's just ill-informed from years back. but thats totally not the case. you just have to speak up.

he's rather well-known in europe and is in many magazines, documentaries, etc.. photography is one of his favorite things. he's finishing up the photo album for his master, shi suxi. should be out early 2009, with an entire chapter of foreigners studying with suxi-disciples, such as himself.

and as for his health, i dont think its "declining". he's still young and seems very well to me.

Comment

His health is improving; he was very ill after being imprisoned years ago.

And as for his teaching foreigners, from my experience over the previous ten years (two years ago...) he doesn't teach as many as some of the other guys.

There have been foreigners who went there to train, and were told that they had to be there for three years at his school before he would train them personally. That was well documented in a recent documentary that he was part of, produced by a friend of mine who spent a year there filming. Great documentary by the way, make sure you get a chance to see it. It's advertised on the main page of russbo.com

russbo.com

Comment

are you talking about "the real shaolin" documentary?

"Eric appeals to study under the famous Shaolin Grandmaster Shi De Yang and is accepted on the condition that he remains exclusively at De Yang’s school for a minimum of three years."

http://www.realshaolin.com/cast04.html

Comment

Yes. Do you have insight into this? I saw it, it was actually a very well done piece of work.

russbo.com

Comment

Is the guy who made the movie non violent? How many living being did he kill while at shaolin? How mani mani did he save?

Peace and love

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
                          Yes. Do you have insight into this? I saw it, it was actually a very well done piece of work.
                          i actually havent seen it. but the three year stipulation sounds interesting. maybe it had something to do with him wanting to become a monk. master deyang talks about a minimum of 3-5 years for stance training in the beginning.

so, for this guy to begin learning the gongfu of deyang's lineage, and develop the right spirit to represent him, he must stay there exclusively for at least three years.

did it actually say he couldnt study with him until after three years? since i havent seen it, i dont know what happened. but i spent most of the summer there with master deyang, who was not busy beyond working on the ven. suxi photo book, and eric wasnt there.

and in my experience, if you just speak up he'll make time for you. otherwise he'll assume you're content studying with his coaches- who are his personal disciples and fantastic in their own right.

Comment

the documentary was made a few years ago. Can't remember when exactly, I had helped Alex get started on it back then.

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
                              the documentary was made a few years ago. Can't remember when exactly, I had helped Alex get started on it back then.
                              Doc,

where can I a find this one?

Uwe

Comment

the "Real Shaolin" Documentary

Good question. I saw it in a private showing a few months ago. It then showed at the Toronto Film Festival. I don't know where it is now, but I can find out.

It was a very well done piece of work; really demonstrated some of the nonsense that goes on there, and destroys the myth that people have about training there. Everyone who goes to China to train should see this.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X