Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Historical vindication of the Shaolin Temple?

Om tare tutare ture soha

in french means man 6our ass everithing ur ass hate tower soha

one of mi monk friend called me without speaking just when i ordered veg dinner

whi do the pig scream when he is killed?

peace and love from the rainbow famili of living light

ps one check on facebook there will a be a rainbow gathering in taiwan
    got to love em.

where do you come up with this stuff?

They have cute women. Leave the French alone.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Like Water View Post
    LFJ, you bring up a great point which hadn't occurred to me before about the historical documentation of the temple being in Chinese. Unfortunately, I'm a bit skeptical of any Chinese texts considering the Cultural Revolution and subsequent state of government in China.
    that may be true, but more so than reading, through chinese you can also communicate directly with the people over there- in particular the true monks who stick to their traditions and actually know what it is.

If you don't mind me asking, who is your master?
    i study with master deyang ( http://www.shideyang.com ) , who again is one of those who really represents true shaolin tradition and culture. he and others like him live and teach chan (and traditional gongfu) behind tourist attractions and actors. shaolin temple is still his home. he has been living in the same room now for over 20 years.

but again, the only words of english i've heard him say are "water", "monk", and "wolf". he can also say "excellente" in spanish. but to really tap into the wellspring of knowledge he has, you must be able to speak with him in chinese. and he is very open and happy to teach those who show true spirit and interest.

One thing that led me to being suspicious of all Shaolin representatives collectively is that my previous master happened to be of the 31st generation, which seems generally to be attributed with more legitimacy and authenticity than younger generations.
    well, the generation doesnt exactly mean anything like "legitimacy". they arent "younger" or "older" generations. they are younger and older people (with differing maturity levels too). the abbot of shaolin temple in the early 1900's was shi henglin, 35th generation! his disciple, shi miaoxing- 36th generation! so...

I don't think I'll bother looking up Shi Yongxin's engagements that you mentioned. I've already received overwhelming evidence of his fraudulence beyond a shadow of a doubt.
    personally, my views on him are mixed. he has done a lot of rather.. disagreeable things, definitely, but he has also done an immense good for shaolin- insofar as promotion and getting the name out there, which has attracted a lot of people who actually end up meeting some of the true shaolin chan monks and change their lives. but there is a lot of fate there, i guess.

however, i'm also aware of shaolin temple saving hundreds of orphan children (if you can consider putting them through shaolin training to be "saving" them, lol) and running similar projects.

five or so monks from shaolin were sent to sichuan to aid in earthquake disaster relief, for example. a lot of these things go unreported on. the media would rather focus on the gongfu monks who are unfortunately often nothing more than actors. i dont know why the real temple isnt of interest...

but no one is completely one way or the other. and i think abbot yongxin has changed a lot over the years. even master deyang's relationship with him has improved (which means a lot if you know their history) and they sometimes work together in shaolin temple. after all, they have to accept and respect each other's position.

following that, i must also respect him. like it or not, he is the abbot and leader of the temple of our masters.

we've still yet to see what the future will hold for shaolin temple. i'm pretty optimistic, with true lines of transmissions still running full.

its unfortunate our case for that is really damaged by media, actors, monks who havent really studied buddhism, etc..

... oh, and doc, who just loves controversy. lol

"i study with(insert random monk name here) , who again is one of those who really represents true shaolin tradition and culture." - I think I've heard everyone who ever studied with a "Shaolin monk" say this same line at some point in time. Take the words 'shaolin' and 'monk' out of the equation. Are you happy learning what you are learning? Is their martial arts ability good? Is their morality good? If you are happy with your answers to these questions nothing else matters does it.
    The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    ... oh, and doc, who just loves controversy. lol
    You're right man. Twelve years of web site work, years of visits, and god knows how much time and expense, and the truly honorable people who really promote the Shaolin Temple can be found here: http://www.shaolinsecrets.com/

You just wont' find nothing but damage, disgrace and egregious behavior here at russbo.com. We've done nothing good.

(But, what do you expect from a New Yorker...)
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

That site is great Doc. I have always wanted "super human strength" and "animal flexibility". I especially like this guy, looks like he accidently kicked himself in the stomach and got his foot stuck. Then, while trying to dislodge it, he got his other foot stuck behind his head.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	legbehindhead.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	996  
    The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Yes, and what a money making machine it is.

Read about the site owners. You'll get a kick out of it.

russbo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Cross View Post
    Are you happy learning what you are learning? Is their martial arts ability good? Is their morality good? If you are happy with your answers to these questions nothing else matters does it.
    thats true for most. but my point is that shaolin is not a martial arts school. if thats what you go there for you'll likely be disappointed.

people like master deyang arent simply martial artists who teach people to fight. he teaches wushuchan, chan of martial arts. there are such people who do exist in shaolin temple behind all the garbage.

of course, people may think they are learning from a "real monk" but later get let down. however, i dont think anyone would be let down by the morality of master deyang. after all spreading morality is the meaning of his dharma name.

he truly does fit the bill.

Like Water is offline Registered Member: no custom title Registered Member
    Wow. That's pretty awesome to train with Shi Deyang. From what I've heard he doesn't have many non-Chinese students, and I'd imagine the books are just about closed considering his declining health. He certainly does seem far more authentic than most monks (e.g. you rarely see him posing in Kungfu Tai Chi magazine).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast