I now train MMA and teach wushu!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I now train MMA and teach wushu!

About 6 weeks ago I finally had the money and the time to join www.roninathletics.com.

I feel like I have been reborn martially. My stand up is very good but that is about it. lol I knew nothing about wrestling or BJJ. Once in the clinch or on the ground I found myself in constant trouble. It could be the guys I'm working with are in their 20's and I'm 36. Or it could be the fact that many of them are ex college/hs wrestlers. Even a couple of actual power lifters. lol
    What's funny is they don't just abuse you the way they could. They let you work, they put on submissions slowy. They teach as you work. Sometimes they will stop explain what they just did and start over. They will even let you mount and then buck you off and smoothly throw on some submission. Since I have been there I only tapped out a guy once. He got too comfy leaned in his head and I slapped on an amatuer guillotine choke and got him back in full gaurd. He admitted he shouldn't have leaned in and gave me full credit for the submission. I on the other hand have been tapped out quite a bit. lol The guys there are cool because they just want truth in what works the best. I didn't want to mention that I train wushu. Then when we were kicking the pads during a kickboxing class a coulpe of the coaches laughed and said did you ever do this before? lol I said I trained kung fu a little. They said it felt/sounded like you trained a lot. lol Also the head teacher said I had good body mechanics. I found that interesting. I took it as a high compliment. My teacher is a brazilian jui jitsu brown belt under the Machado brothers and a purple belt under Matt thornton. This guy is a high level athlete with mma fights under his belt going back to 1999.

I don't want to start a negative argument but most kung fu lacks any real wrestling or groundwork. I saw some terrible wrestling at the kung fu tourneys I've been to. Terrible wingchun too. lolo Now I know there are good chinese kung fu styled wrestlers out there but they are few and far between. That shouldn't be for any fighting art. If someone is a good wrestler and you have barely any in your kung fu curriculum you will get taken right down and submitted. I don't care how good your stand up is. If you can't sprawl or have the knowledge of what to do to counter you will be in big trouble. In some levels I feel I have been short changed by chinese kung fu. It only has the answers for stand up.

Why do the chinese leave out one of the most important parts of fighting? Is it cultural? Don't give me the old MMA wouldn't work in the army crap either. lol

Some people myself included think that mma stand up isn't that good. I figured out why. The more important things to be good at are wrestling and bjj. It is actually easier and more consistent to throw someone on the floor and tap them out. Then it is to knock someone out standing up.

Opinions? Questions? Concerns? lol

Concerns? Yes.

Be careful.

The amount of injuries coming out of these MMA programs is astounding. Young healthy people with cervical and lumbar disc disease requiring surgery, head injuries and concussions, not to mention musculoskeletal trauma. We're not just talking about sprains and strains, we're talking about long term life long disabilities.

I personally attribute it to the type of training, and the type of individual, and that individual's attitude, that is attracted to this sport.

Maybe, especially the latter....
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Hey Doc!

I know you know your stuff. Some of the guys in class couldn't believe how often I trained for my first month. They said most guys get hurt. That mainly comes from using strength instead of leverage.

I used to hurt my back in kung fu once and a while. Also my left groin has been constantly injured since I slipped in a sweat puddle while going into pubu. Since I have been training mma my back and groin feel fine. I guess I will keep my fingers crossed.

People say you get hurt snowboarding too. That is the first thing my nerdy friends at work asked. Did you get hurt? lol No!

It's just like anything else train to hard, get hurt.

On the other hand I was constantly hurt in my wingchun class because we sparred hard with no equipment.

It's all in how you train.

Comment

I think the individuals and the attitudes in the sport are top notch. Honestly it sounds like you haven't really been exposed to it to say that. THere was/is way more politics and egos in every kung fu school I have been to. MEanwhiel most of those guys really aren't great well rounded fighters.

Comment

wow am i glad i logged on, of all the people, its mortal doing mma huh lolo.

its kind of funny how i started out with mma and went on to train gung fu, hearing you say such things sounds like what pretty much every novice fighter says about gung fu.

maybe youll search a lil deeper into gung fu and see the truth of it, maybe you got it all figured out.. i dunno your 36 im 24 what do i know lolo.

either way trying NOT to be negative...but yeh, enjoying your "mma" training. ive wanted to train strictly jiu jits for awhile now but no one teaches here and the mma club i started out with is...just a tad to strict and doesnt neccesarily cater to what i want..more the club, so meh

rather roll around with a girl most times anyway.

lolo just realized u must never have really come across any kind of wrestler worth a grain of salt, thats interesting.
          "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I've just noticed that some MMA guys seem to be more prone to steroid abuse, have ego disorders, and have a tendency to "want to prove something".

I'm not saying all. You find it in all martial arts; the MMA stuff, maybe because of what you see on TV, seems to attract a different breed.

But, then again Mortal, we are generations apart. I used to do Judo when I was six. We won't talk about how long ago that was. And all those years in Karate exposed me to some really great people, but occasionally, you really ran into personality disorders and horribly egocentric insecure people who didn't think it wrong to get hurt or hurt someone.

I think the MMA is really good training; if your teacher is aware of these things, and keeps the mayhem down, it should be good for you.

Personality disorders and ego disorders and the martial arts. Now there's a book.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

lolo, i trained judo when i was 6 to, i still know how to fall and some throws. i can even remember grappling, and being so close to someone i could smell their breath lolo.

mma attracts all types, fighting wise, alot of guys want to prove something your right about that. alot of guys that get into it are just tired of BS martial arts and just want to learn how to fight, similar to what weve seen in the past 100 years with BOXING. wich is funny considering people still think if they can box they can fight lolo.

the best mma guys want to prove something to themselves, you can tell by the way they fight. the fame gets to alot of them though, but in the end, theres alot of talent. but still so much to be seen with this sport

anyone whos been on this forum knows about me and this sport lolo i was the only one posting mma vids in the vid section, i remember sending doc the CD with nogueiras sherdog highlights lolo

good times

Comment

Maestro, that stuff is on www.russbo.tv now.

russbo.com

Comment

lolo, i saw that doc. the first time i went on russbo tv i saw those vids on there, made me smile lolo.

Comment

Working...
                  X