Dangerous Weight Loss Medications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dangerous Weight Loss Medications

An important memo from the FDA (notice some of the TCM medications in this list:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is expanding its nationwide alert to consumers about tainted weight loss pills that contain undeclared, active pharmaceutical ingredients. On December 22, 2008, FDA warned consumers not to purchase or consume 28 different products marketed for weight loss. Since that time, FDA analysis has identified 41 more tainted weight loss products that may put consumers’ health at risk.

The tainted weight loss products are:

Fatloss Slimming

2 Day Diet

3x Slimming Power

Japan Lingzhi 24 Hours Diet

5x Imelda Perfect Slimming

3 Day Diet

7 Day Herbal Slim

8 Factor Diet

7 Diet Day/Night Formula

999 Fitness Essence

Extrim Plus

GMP

Imelda Perfect Slim

Lida DaiDaihua

Miaozi Slim Capsules

Perfect Slim

Perfect Slim 5x

Phyto Shape

ProSlim Plus

Royal Slimming Formula

Slim 3 in 1

Slim Express 360

Slimtech

Somotrim

Superslim

TripleSlim

Zhen de Shou

Venom Hyperdrive 3.0

Starcaps

Slim Waistline

Slim Waist Formula

Slim Up

Sliminate

Slim Fast

2x Powerful Slimming

Slim Express 4 in 1

Reduce Weihgt

Super Fat Burner

Super Slimming

Sana Plus

Trim 2 Plus

Powerful Slim

Waist Strength Formula

Slimming Formula

Perfect Slim Up

Slim Burn

Slim 3 in 1 Slim Formula

Slim 3 in 1 M18 Royal Diet

Slim 3 in 1 Extra Slim Waist Formula

Slim 3 in 1 Extra Slim Formula

Natural Model

2 Day Diet Slim Advance

Miaozi MeiMiaoQianZiJiaoNang

Meizitang

Meili

JM Fat Reducer

Imelda Fat Reducer

7 Days Diet

Extrim Plus 24 Hour Reburn

Fasting Diet

Cosmo Slim

Body Slimming

Body Shaping

Body Creator

BioEmagrecin

3 Days Fit

21 Double Slim

Eight Factor Diet

7 Diet

An FDA analysis found that the undeclared active pharmaceutical ingredients in some of these products include sibutramine (a controlled substance), rimonabant (a drug not approved for marketing in the United States), phenytoin (an anti-seizure medication), phenolphthalein (a solution used in chemical experiments and a suspected cancer causing agent) and bumetanide (a diuretic). Some of the amounts of active pharmaceutical ingredients far exceeded the FDA-recommended levels, putting consumers' health at risk.

These weight loss products, some of which are marketed as “dietary supplements,” are promoted and sold on various Web sites and in some retail stores. Some of the products claim to be “natural” or to contain only “herbal” ingredients, but actually contain potentially harmful ingredients not listed on the product labels or in promotional advertisements. These products have not been approved by the FDA, are illegal and may be potentially harmful to unsuspecting consumers.

The FDA advises consumers who have used any of these products to stop taking them and consult their healthcare professional immediately. The FDA encourages consumers to seek guidance from a healthcare professional before purchasing weight loss products.

“These tainted weight loss products pose a great risk to public health because they contain undeclared ingredients and, in some cases, contain prescription drugs in amounts that greatly exceed their maximum recommended dosages,” said Janet Woodcock, M.D., director, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, FDA. “Consumers have no way of knowing that these products contain powerful drugs that could cause serious health consequences. Therefore FDA is taking this action to protect the health of the American public.”

The FDA has inspected a number of companies associated with the sale of these illegal products, and is currently seeking product recalls. Based on the FDA’s inspections and the companies’ inadequate responses to recall requests, the FDA may take additional enforcement steps, such as issuing warning letters or initiating seizures, injunctions, or criminal charges.

The health risks posed by these products can be serious; for example, sibutramine, which was found in many of the products, can cause high blood pressure, seizures, tachycardia (rapid heart beat), palpitations, heart attack or stroke. This drug can also interact with other medications that patients may be taking and increase their risk of adverse drug events. The safety of sibutramine has also not been established in pregnant and lactating women, or in children younger than 16 years of age.

Rimonabant, another ingredient found in these products, was evaluated, but not approved by the FDA for marketing in the United States. The drug, which is approved in Europe, has been associated with increased risk of depression and suicidal thoughts and has been linked to five deaths and 720 adverse reactions in Europe over the last two years.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

I had a teacher in med school who was adamant that the only weigh to lose weight fast was to get sick.

And of course, in order for a product or a dietary regimen to make you lose weight fast, it had to induce a pathological pattern.

Whatever happened to just working out such that calories burnt > calories consumed, and then, actually continuing to incorporate training into ones daily life?
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

The fastest way for me to lose weight, is to get sick. He's right.

I go to China, get some sort of dysenteric illness, I lose weight.

Lost eight pounds in a week when I had a bad hamburger at Burger King (the only time I ever got sick in Thailand).

Lost over 25 pounds in two months back when I had SARS.

Can't drop a pound with all this exercise now, LOL...
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Because yes, there are people in this country who actually need the FDA to tell them not to take something called "Venom Hyperdrive 3.0".

Comment

Wow, good point.

I hadn't noticed that, LOL...

russbo.com

Comment

Weight loss

Have you considered taking so-called natural or herbal weight loss drugs or supplements? You may not be aware that not all weight loss pills are considered safe, much less effective. Why are they dangerous? Because they are contaminated with materials that are not tolerated by the human body and may cause debilitating side effects, even death. Those ingredients are undeclared, meaning, the packaging doesn't mention them. The dangerous ingredients include sibutramine, rimonabant, phenytoin, and phenolphthalein. These illegal weight loss drugs contain at least one, and sometimes more than one of these ingredients.

Comment

Thanks doc! Good information. THIS COM HAS BEEN INTERFERED WITH AT WIRELESS. I will contact you via email.

trad
              ition of the Warrior Physician. I have a problem with an Egyptian physician who is trying to be a warrIor physician. He is treating a kidney patient. The U. S. Government has put out a $5 million dollar bounty on the kidney patient. The kidney patient has already won a free guided tour of your old hood, New York City. The U. S. Mililitary is looking for him in caves along the Afgahni-Pakistani border.I think he is in a luxury apartment in north western Pakistan. Drs. Williams, Douglas and Wright are not particularliy fond of the FDA though sometimes as with the list you cited; the FDA does exhibit some socially redeeming virtues. On the H1N1 front none of the physicians mentioned nor myself will use or prescribe Tamiflu. I think the cognac and garlic elixir that survivors of the 1918 pandemic swore by is the better choice. If you want that formula please send me a seperate email and I will provide you with the formula, preparation instruction

Comment

Working...
              X