Help and good advice needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help and good advice needed!

Hi all - As you'll see, I'm new to this site. I discovered it whilst researching Martial Arts academies in China, which has left me pretty confused, so decided to join up and come looking for some decent advice.

A bit of background - I am currently (thanks to the current economic climate!) 'between jobs' and have decided that this would be an ideal time to follow a long time ambition, to go and study martial arts in China. My only previous experience is two years Lau Gar, studied 23 years ago, so essentially, I'm a complete beginner.

Looking into this all about a year ago, I found this place www.chinashaolins.com which I thought looked like just what I was after. Now, being in the position to actually pursue this dream, I decided to take my research a little further and have discovered mainly, really negative reports on this academy. I had also found www.yantaikungfu.com - This school seems to have a fair mix of positive and negative reports.

Needless to say, I'm confused and wary of spending my hard earned cash on attending either of these places if I'm not going to get what I'm looking for and end up dissapointed.

What I'm looking for is to spend about 3 months somewhere where I can learn traditional martial arts, get some improved discipline in my life, experience some Chinese culture and improve my health (11 years in the liquor industry and having just quit smoking after this time has taken it's toll - That said I'm not in terrible shape and have been getting back into keeping fit - Especially since quitting the smokes!). I am interested in traditional Shaolin Gong Fu or Praying Mantis (or perhaps even Wing Chun) - TaiChi and Qi Gong are also important to me and I would definitely like these to be included in my study.

Well, if you've lasted this long and read all that I've written, I'd really like some good, solid advice so that I don't waste my time or money and don't end up being dissapointed.

Thanks in advance!

I just had lunch two weeks ago with the Russian guy that helped the Yantai school get off the ground. In fact, if you read back in this site, you'll see some posts from him, quite a while ago. He remains bitter about the experience, both with Siping and with the Yantai school, which is an offshoot.

I do not recommend any schools other than the ones that are listed on russbo.com. There are many reasons.

One, these schools come and go, more often than women do in my life.
    Two, most of these schools are money oriented devices.
    Three, you can get screwed very easily with some of these people.
    Four, I have been going to Shaolin since 1995; I ahve developed relationships over the years, and there are people who I trust.

I only recommend people who I trust. I have created this website over twelve years ago, there is no financial gain in it for me (only loss), and my interests are to provide education to the community.

With that said, I would only recommend the Shaolin Temple Wushu Guan, Shi De Yang's school, and Shi De Cheng's school. Shi Heng Jun was on the list, but he may have closed his school at Da Fa Wen Si, as he is now supposedly in Paris.

Read the site. There's more information here than you can imagine. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Choose wisely. Many people get hurt doing this.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

my advice is go to thailand and chill somewhere on a beach, i think about it everyday having a hard time finding a second job but it will come along.

someday soon i will have my money and be on my way to thailand where the beer flows like wine and the locals will give you a licky licky and fry your bananna

lolo anyway what doc said is good advice, i wouldnt train with anyone but de cheng or de yang at shaolin
      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Good luck. Although I don't train in the chinese martial arts, I have been interested in them and Zen Buddhism for a long time, and have found this site to be extremely informative. I would suggest setting up a fitness routine as soon as possible to get yourself in the best shape you can before you go. I love grappling, and have found that to be a phenomenal all round conditioning vehicle. Again, best of luck.

Comment

on my way to thailand where the beer flows like wine and the locals will give you a licky licky and fry your bananna
          maestro's a poet!
          ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Nice one - Thanks for all the advice. I'll look into the suggestions made and also investigate this banana business - haha!

Thanks again andI may well be bak for more advice - Great site - Keep it up!

Comment

Maestro, can I use that "licky licky" stuff and fried banana concept in my advertising campaign for russboasia....?
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
              russbo.com

Comment

lolo, i took that from "anger management" where adam sandlers anger ally says that in the bar about the girls in grenada lolo.

and the first part "where the beer flows like wine" is from dumb and dumber lolo.
                "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Maestro u should c the new add on mtv china about maestro shampoo.

The girl ask who am i?

Though this mtv is ****ing disturbing from my basque anarchist point of view i m ready anytime to have a speech fight with these americans that dont understand a shit about lasa and peta.

Not talking about Palestine. Maestro what fighter r u in this? A children killer?

Long gone r the days of the hippie were they would gently and activiley fight against the system and american foreign policies.

Sad

Comment

Working...
                  X