Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

more darkside shaolin coverage (The Real Shaolin: Documentary)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The translation might not have been "well done", MAYBE, because Alex did his own translating, and he is not a fluent Chinese speaker. He learned the language as we went along his merry way over there in Dengfeng, over a year or so, which I personally think is impressive. As he financed this movie himself, he might have done most of the translating himself, and, occasionally asked for help when he thought he needed it.

Just one possibility. I don't know for sure. It all may just be a simple mistake.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

i dont think the difference is so large that it somehow changes anything drastically. the kid said his parents took him there and left him. abandoned was used in the translation because thats what happened to him. had he not actually been abandoned i see how that translation could be misleading. so its loose, but it doesnt change the details of the story.

Comment

You know, and I know, and the kid probably knows, that he was abandoned by his poor family, just like god knows how many other of these poor little bastards.

I've seen kids from wealthy families "left" at Decheng's school for years. Parents thought it would be "good" for them. I have friends that were "left", I know some "monks" that were abandoned, and actually claim that. Were the wealthy kids "abandoned" or "left"? Or is it just a matter of semantics?

I assure you, when Boris grows up, if he turns out to be a terror in his teens and I'm still alive, I know where I'm going to "leave" him for a while...
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

several children i spoke to actually hate it there. one boy said its so boring, doing the same thing everyday and not being allowed out of the school. he has no real life of his own. another girl showed absolutely no interest in training. but both of them along with everyone else have to train when its time, like it or not. and worst of all they are tortured into the splits and over-splits. there's no way to relax your muscles when you are being forced and when you actually dont want to do it in the first place. its kind of sick.

Comment

and worst of all they are tortured into the splits and over-splits. there's no way to relax your muscles when you are being forced and when you actually don't want to do it in the first place. its kind of sick.
            hmm, you don't often see lfj make a comment about a negative aspect of shaolin training. interesting.

but i guess it's really not that much different from all the other children in this world who get forced into various religious institutions and organizations. though, in this case, it may be resulting from real economic hardship, not some desire to manipulate and/or control an individual.

actually i work with a guy who says he was raised in a 'cult.' he won't go into the details, but from my understanding it was some christian affiliated group. this was due to his parents values and the belief system they imposed on him.

needless to say, he doesn't always come across as a very happy fellow.

---

as for this translation, i think, as a person myself who translates radio programs from chinese to english, that something like that is questionable at best, but not really that significant. really it boils down to the age old clashing of ideals between fidelity and transparency. some french guy put it best when he said, something to the effect that, 'translations, like women, could be either faithful or beautiful, but not both at the same time.' lol...

so a translators job is not to think for the audience. it will depend on the material, of course, but typically the aim is to just translate the meaning that you feel is being conveyed for the viewer as a professional with an education and experience in the field. which means, if you're not translating literature, historical texts, etc - materials that need to be translated literally, word for word - then the translator is usually given a little creative license.

although i'm a bit surprised a translator wasn't sourced out to do the work, from this short clip it seems there were only some small segments that needed translating. if this guy was there, and he spoke to the kid directly, he may have had more background information than what was captured in this clip.

i wouldn't have translated it that way if i ONLY had this particular clip to work from, but i can easily see why he would have translated it that way IF other information had been available to him.
            Last edited by onesp1ng; 02-14-2009, 06:33 AM.
            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Should little kids understand how Tara became a bodisatva and was given rules under buddha sound of drum?

Punk rules ok!

Comment

Originally posted by liutangsanzang View Post
                Should little kids understand how Tara became a bodisatva and was given rules under buddha sound of drum?

Punk rules ok!
                Care to elaborate?

Comment

According to shangpa kagyu, tara (Guanyin?) took her bodisatva vows with buda sound of drums.

Comment

You know,,, I was in Dengfeng during the spring festival and was surprised at the lack of kids there. I know the importance of getting home and being with family during that time, but because of the situation that surounds many of the kids who live and study in Dengfeng I really expected to see more kids there.
                    I had seen in some documentary that Shi Yan Ming was abandoned as well, and I had heard of this happening quite often in Dengfeng. However, when I was there it seemed that most every little kung fu tyke had gone home. The city seemed much like any other small Chinese city.

And on a personal note, I loved it. I highly recommend going to Dengfeng during the Spring Festival. It really is a beautiful city to be in. Well, the temples and mountains are beautiful at least. The people where kind to me there. And I had the best bowl of Dao Xiao Mian that I have eaten in China.
                    "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

Yan Ming was not abandoned as I've been told.

His story is far more tragic.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                      X