Shaolin and Sanda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin and Sanda

In the Fight Quest shaolin episode, I see Sanda being taught quite prominently in the temple itself and Shaolin based martial arts schools in Dengfeng. I think of Sanda as the wushu style that the Chinese sort of created to compete with Karate and Muay Thai, although some claim the style had existed earlier. In any case it is one of the newer forms of martial arts. I suspect some or all of the older martial monks might not have learned this style at all when they were young. It sometimes makes me wonder: Are Shaolin martial monks actually good Sanda coaches or is Sanda offered in their schools simply as a way of attracting the maximum number of students?

some of them are good san da fighters/coaches. some of them are good fighters ingeneral. some of them are NOT

de cheng knows his stuff although his method of iron palm was a little...on the ghetto side i might say, i never seen that before lolo!!

im sure de yang aswell. san da isnt really a style not to me anyway more of a sport. aslong as they know the rules and are experienced with how ring fighting works and what you can do, what u can get away with how to corner somebody etc yknow then id say they good
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

The Fight Quest episode that you refer to is not a representation of what is taught at Shaolin. Nothing should be derived from it.

The two actors were at Shaolin for a total of five days. I set them up with Decheng and Deyang, and they were taught fairly simple things, things that would look good on television. We all realized that five days of training would have really achieved nothing, especially since what was wanted for the end was that nonsensical fight scene.

Again, another example of these television documentaries not really representing anything truthful. And what makes that one so ironic, is that I was responsible for getting the Discovery team set up location and personnel wise, and had even had to point them in the right direction training wise.

To even try to get these two actors to do anything Shaolin wise in five days, would have been embarrassing, so the show went in the sanda direction. With a "fight scene" necessary at the end of the week, there really was no other option.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

yeh those shows just for entertainment like most things from the media, thats all it is to me anyway, unless im depressed listening to my sad songs lolo

but i just thought de chengs iron palm training was funny, he just put a piece of something i dunno shitty tarp or something on a bench and started slapping the shit out of it. i was like...OK lolo.

but like i said before he did give his actor a hug at the end i was like awww..aww thats so nice, lol

Comment

I've had better iron palm training with my Seidokan teacher than I did at Shaolin.

There is damn good sanda training in China; you see it in some of the larger gong fu schools. It is not a forte of Decheng's school, though ironically, his younger brother was China's national sanda champion for nine years, and he has a gym in Beijing.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I just watched the fight from the fight quest china episode,

If they werent wearing armor, the sanda guy wouldve seriously hurt the american guy, he was landing those thrust kicks super clean.
            "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

It's kind of funny that during the "final fights" neither of the actors actually used the skills they learned during their five days of training there, all we hear is that Jimmy guy yelling "Jab! Jab! Jab!"

Comment

i dont like how they keep their hands so low, and they combos werent all that great. and the footwork wasnt very developed but lolo maybe they were taking it easy, i kinda felt like they were

Comment

One guy was into MMA, the other a school teacher. They had responded to ads, auditioned, and got into the show.

You can see the one guy reverts to MMA all the time; the schoolteacher guy just gets beat up.

I had suggested on the advance trip that each guy learn a small form, or part thereof, along with some sanda, and as part of the competition, demonstrate it. It would have better represented what Shaolin was.

Obviously, that suggestion wasn't taken. The shows producers wanted a fight at the end of each show, so that's what you got.

russbo.com

Comment

Learning a form might be too much to ask of those two, seeing how difficult it was for one of them to learn to break one brick.

The show was pretty comical though, and I've got to admit this was where I saw De Cheng and De Yang for the first time.
                    Last edited by Lily; 02-12-2009, 04:37 AM. Reason: font change

Comment

They shouldve fought a shaolin warrior monk, that wouldve been cool.
                      "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Working...
                      X