Health effects of Karate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health effects of Karate

I have been hearing many rumours about Karate causing things such as arthritis and bone/muscle problems.
    Also the fact that Karate was developed using only the thought process that you could die the next day (battlefield martial art) so there is obviously not much thought of personal health put into the art. Unlike forms such as Tai-Chi or Aikido.
    I was just wondering if anyone has any difinitive information on which styles are bad/good.and where did you learn this martial arts
    Thanks in advance.

I've mentioned quite frequently in this "Hospital" forum some of the long term negative effects of the martial arts, also in the Shaolin FAQ of the main site. Arthritis, a result of strikes and iron palm training is quite common (I have some arthritis in my hands now, the result no doubt of years of heavy bag training). Hip, lower back, knee and ankle arthritis is common in long term runners; the repeated heavy impact does take its toll on cartilaginous surfaces.

Tai Ji, with little impact, does not lead to these negative musculoskeletal events, BUT, there are other negative possible health impacts. I am currently writing a story about one that is very significant, and it will be published soon on russbo.com.

Aikido can result in significant joint injuries.

MMA training is now demonstrating a significant incidence of spinal and brain injuries.

Like anything else in life, moderation is the key. And, being aware of what you are doing. Education is important to be able to avoid the bad things in life.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

i just swallowed a piece of gum, does it really take 7 years to digest?

i wish i hadnt swallowed the gum, it tasted good but i read a funny post and next thing u know it was in my throat!

anyway..all kinds of stuff can be dangerous i suppose, genetics plays a role. i am curious though as to what the negative effects of taiji are and which style is being discussed..
      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

actually traditional chinese martial arts include the practices of tuina, shiatsu, qigong, acupuncture, baguan (cupping), guasha (scrapping), herbs, and so on. using these methods and techniques assists to balance, expel, and heal the body and mind of ailments, as well as the problems of rigorous training. the problem is that most people aren't exposed to them enough. they beat their bodies up... just accept injury as a part of some greater sacrifice, etc. and so negative effects are inevitable.
        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

i agree about what onesp1ng said. in hung kuen we are famous for 3 things, fighting/dit da and usually acupuncture and liondance it used to be when u learn the art you learn just as much about dit da and lion dance as the fighting

and also, all the hard qi gong ive learned 2/3 of the training is massage and soft qi gong exercises etc the hard part is usually the easy and least time consuming parts

i also feel that people who develope problems in the areas you mentioned, back, waist whatever arent practicing correctly. the one thing i like the most about hung kuen is the emphasis on perfect structure. of course people can develope injuries no matter what but if you practice the chinese arts correctly anyway, there are just to many good examples in my style for me to doubt practicing the art

i could name all kinds of people who still practice well into their 90's.

and what onesp1ng said about people who sacrifice and whatnot is true to, alot of people just dont know or dont think about what they doing they just do it. like thais kicking trees lolo

anyway, yeh people still get hurt and develope crap anyway but..not everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Maestro View Post
            i just swallowed a piece of gum, does it really take 7 years to digest?
            It should show up in your poop in about a day or two.

Keep a lookout for it. And keep us posted.

I'm concerned.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

everyone's probably seen this by now. one of my favs...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr5vQm_i09I"]YouTube - Lu Zijian[/ame]

it's said that this guy is now 115 and still baguaing. apparently he was 93 or 94 in this clip.

i like the way he runs off at the end breathing normally.
              ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

lolo doc, i just have been told that for a long time, and i dont like swallowing gum anyway

that bagua performance is on my youtube favs

Comment

internal kung fu is more good for health

Comment

Just an addendum to this thread, I have a good friend who has spent many years practicing Tae Kwon Do, which, as you know, involves more lower body techniques (kicking) than upper body.

He just fractured his labrum (part of the pelvis), after one, "unfortunately" thrown kick. The small fracture and disruption of the hip joint in the pelvis led to avascular necrosis of the head of his femur, eventually necessitating a total hip replacement.

russbo.com

Comment

internal martial arts are better

Comment

tkd is one of those styles that is better suited for younger players. but young and old, even experienced guys get in the bad habit of throwing kicks in the air and not hitting bags often at all, espcially in this style and that over works the joints.

theres no kicking technique that cant be done slowly and controlled and honestly if your working technique this is what you want to do anyway, espcially for kicks.

but imo styles like bak si lum, and different versions of tan tui are much better for leg-waist-lower back work even into old age. swinging the leg keeps the flexibility, mobility and strength both in the muscles/tedons/joints

Comment

Originally posted by Maestro View Post
                          tkd is one of those styles that is better suited for younger players.
                          OH, and what makes you think my friend was "old"?

LOL... You young ones. Incorrigible.

russbo.com

Comment

All kind of physical exercises are quite good for our health ,just we have to do in proper way and instructions.actually traditional chinese martial arts include the practices of tuina, shiatsu, qigong, acupuncture, baguan (cupping), guasha (scrapping), herbs, and so on. using these methods and techniques assists to balance, expel, and heal the body and mind of ailments, as well as the problems of rigorous training. the problem is that most people aren't exposed to them enough. they beat their bodies up... just accept injury as a part of some greater sacrifice, etc. and so negative effects are inevitable.
                            Des Moines fitness
                            Last edited by bishop; 10-20-2012, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X