• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maestro View Post
    what im saying is either u got it or you dont
    I believe you said it best.

Comment

Originally posted by Maestro View Post
      btw lfj what are you maybe going to thailand for, you said education are u a student?
      international buddhist college, in songkhla province.

Comment

so is shaving your head mandatory

what do u study there? if it was me id be into the sanscrit and whatnot but im not a student im just a poor beggar
        "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Be careful down there LFJ. It's close, but not in, the "red zone". It is a Muslim area, and that is a Buddhist college...
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

there are monastics from every buddhist tradition there, both students and professors. but there are also secular students and professors as well.

its an accredited college, just for buddhist studies. not necessarily for monastics. but the environment there is conducive to monastic life to accomodate monastics with all their vows and such. unlike your average college campus...

this is their page for degree programs in buddhist studies;

and a video introduction to the college;

its an old video though, they now offer ma and phd programs. still a young college.

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
              Be careful down there LFJ. It's close, but not in, the "red zone". It is a Muslim area, and that is a Buddhist college...
              i'm aware of that threat, and the violence.. but as they say, the collective wholesome karma of those at the buddhist college should keep them safe... assuming we can understand and predict collective karma........................

Comment

Finally got to Hong Kong after a 24hr train trip from Zhengzhou. By far it's the most exotic city I've been to in China.
                Staying in the famed Chungking Mansions (don't be fooled by the name), had a 2m^2 room the first night complete with complitmentary cochroaches; I decided to pay the extra AUD $10 to upgrade.
                On my first day I found myself a Wing Tsun gym and though outrageously priced, I had a great lesson with a local Sifu. I found it really amazing just how different it is compared to Shaolin, even though both originated from the same place. No stretching, no warm up, just jumped straight into training. It strikes me as an entirely practical martial art and many of the principles that were explained to me made a lot of sense. In particular I like the sticky hands training, feeling the opponents movements and responding to them by training reflexes.

Three days later, passport stamped, I took another 24hr train trip back to Zhengzhou and then Dengfeng. As my bus approached Dengfeng I felt the excitement of coming home; even after my short trip I have to admit I missed the place. After hanging out in Hong Kong alone I appreciated the community I felt a part of upon returning back to the dream world of Shaolin.
                I've resolved to go to Wudangshan, though as a consequence of the feelings mentioned above I'm extending my stay here.

Oh and by the way, two thumbs up for Wolverine X men origins

Comment

hong kong is the most 'exotic' place you've been to in china? dude, u gotta get around more...
                  ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

LFJ,

one of my chinese veg budist friend came back from some budist college in thailand, and i feel she is a bit brain washed, not questioning what she learnt, saying it is the truth, talking and talking without much listenning...

I guess should have some diversity like reading modern philosophy or psychoanalysis

i dont know

eace and love

Comment

• Good colleges teach you how to question and research.

Asian training, specifically Thai educational institutions, do not generally allow questioning. The teacher, being older, is always correct, and students are required by culture to accept what is said.
                      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

• i know someone who knows the monk from malaysia who started the international buddhist college. they are pretty genuine.

also, recently i was listening to some audio i found online in chinese. it was a professor at a buddhist college in northern china, possibly beijing. he was lecturing on the chinese weishi (yogacara) school of buddhism. before he started he encouraged the class to treat it like chatting. if they have questions, something doesnt make sense, or whatever, just holler. no need to stand up.

and so throughout the course of the lecture the students were pretty quiet, and he was a great lecturer. then some students actually did speak up at parts and they had some discussion, at times where the students went on for several minutes explaining their understanding, sort of drowning the professor out until they were done. he would either then agree or disagree and then explain in further detail if needed.

it was pretty open, and everyone was encouraged to think for themselves and probe questions. this was in northern china...

more often than not, its the student, not the teacher. students need to know how to learn. sometimes sitting still and soaking it all in, isnt the best way to do that. because the misunderstandings you create in your head are not addressed, and just allowed to grow wild.

Comment

• You're not going to find students shouting out in class in Thailand.

It's not the way they do it here.

Rote learning. No questions. Take it as the teacher gives it to you.

It's a cultural thing. A lot stronger than what you'll see in China.

Which, in my opinion, makes the Thai far more tolerable and lovable than the Chinese, any day... LOL

russbo.com

Comment

• the professors at this college are chinese, malaysian, and even western phd holders. mostly monastics. at least of the ones i have had experience with. not sure how many thais are teaching there.

Comment

• Onesp1ng, cut me some slack I spent 5 hours in Beijing, a couple of days in Zhengzhou and 99% of the other time in Dengfeng; tell me Hong Kong isn't exotic with that comparison. No doubt I should get around a bit more; one thing at a time.

I just want to say how right you are Doc about Thailand being the Dengfeng escape destination. Most foreigners tell me about some intention to learn Muay Thai after Shaolin or make that part of their future wish list. Expect the hordes of Shaolin disciples to hit the Pattaya go-go bars soon.

Comment

• Hey Josh. Yong Hui is back right? He's the older coach you're talking about and Jia Hao is the younger one? Is Wen Ya still not there? When does Shi de Cheng return? He should be back by July shouldn't he? Let me know how it's been going.

James

Comment

Working...
                                X