YojoHenshiKo and Non Alcoholic Steatohepatitis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YojoHenshiKo and Non Alcoholic Steatohepatitis

Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis is a runner up to the more benign condition of NAFLD, or nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. In NAFLD, fat accumulates in the liver because of a variety of reasons, primarily diet and lack of exercise. Diabetes, prediabetic conditions, high cholesterol and triglyceride levels all can contribute to NAFLD.

NASH, or the more unfriendly version of this, where you get fibrosis and inflammation of the liver because of the extra fat and fatty acids and oxidative processes associated with that, can lead to increased liver enzymes, liver damage, fibrosis and eventually cirrhosis and loss of liver function.

There are no good medications for treating this disorder.

Except, in TCM, some benefit has been found with the Chinese herb, Yojohenshiko.

The Chinese herb YHK (YojoHenshiKo) has been shown to have antioxidant, hypoglycemic, antifibrotic and lipid-lowering properties. In the rat model, YHK has been shown to prevent NASH, promote weight loss, lower serum aminotransferases, and reduce visceral fat. It also promotes an increase in peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-α and microsomal triglyceride transfer protein with a decrease in peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ mRNA contents [Stefano et al. 2008]. YHK has been demonstrated to be safe with a significant reduction in alanine aminotransferase (p=0.036) in a small study of eight patients (five treatment) with NASH by Chande et al. [2006]. After discontinuation of the medication, there was an increase of alanine aminotransferase towards baseline after 4 weeks. Medline
    Granted the study population was small, and I have yet to read the study, but for it to be quoted in one of my medical journals, I find significance in this.
    Attached Files
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Score one for the herbs! I wonder if its ever going to go anywhere.
    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Working...
    X