Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book about the "real" Shaolin Gong Fu training

Hi there!

I was wondering if someone knows about a book displaying the Shaolin training as described on this page here http://russbo.com/Shaolin/traditional-gong-fu.html

There ae so many books, all telling different things, showing stances, kicks, punches in dfferent ways, that's confusing!

I have also not found a book showing Wu Bu Quan, Lian Huang Quan, Xiao Hong Quan etc.

I would be gflad if you guys could point me to a good printed source!

Thanks, amitofo!

You have to be careful about whats "real" nowadays, and who's writing it. What is being taught in the Shaolin area has evolved quite a bit over the past fifteen years, almost to the point where even the basic forms such as Shao Hong Chuan have some unrecognizable changes to it. The Ji Ben Gong have been changed quite a bit in terms of going from traditional Shaolin to modern wushu Shaolin.

One of the better books, in English, that really describes the traditional stuff (in my opinion, as Su Yuan, Su Xi, etc had taught De Cheng, De Yang, etc) is the Tagou book. The description of the forms therein very closely, if not precisely, describe Shaolin forms as they were taught these past few decades, as far as I can ascertain by my experiences with these "older" guys. I read it years ago, and was amazed at how consistent it was compared to what I had been seeing.

The big encyclopedia by DeYang and DeQian is also very good, but it is in traditional Chinese. Its roots go back to the early twentieth century; Ive written about its history somewhere in the Shaolin FAQ section. A great resource if you can understand it.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Do you mean tha "Shaolin Gong-fu : A course in Traditional Forms" book? I ordered it some mintes ago... Glad you recommend it!

Most of the other books, apart from some good sentences, contain too much esoteric or self-made stuff, in my opinion. It's ard to find truth, anyway and anywhere!

I hope your baby is going well, as does the papa, and the mama! (Mine are fine, and that's a rime ;-) )

Best regards,

Michael

Comment

Yes, that's the one. In my opinion, it seems to be the most accurate with respect to the traditional stuff.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Last week I received the books. They are simply great. A real and authentic resource, far away from Wong Kiew Kit's esoterics and other's selfmade Kung Fu...

Unfortunately I can not identify many of the forms frm the book (strange translations...). It would be great if someone could help! Below I copied the list of forms from the contents of the forst three volumes, hoping someone can help me to identify which form is actually meant. (the fizrth volume contains short sparring sequences, the fifth Articles about traditional Chinese medicine, Akupunkture, meridians, and Qi Gong.).

Also, I guess that some forms are more interesting to learn that others. Wu Bu Quan and Lian Huan Quan are for the beginning. Which are recommended next, and which ones are especially interesting, rearding, hard, develop particular abilities and belong to particular styles?

Thanks a lot for contributing to this!

First Volume:
          Five Stances Form (this one is clear...)
          Lianhuan Form (this one is also clear)
          Shiaohong's Form (Same goes for that one...)
          Great Straight-Line Arms Form
          YinShou Cudgel
          The Sunny Form
          First, second and third section of Dahon's Form (this one is clear)
          Shiao Straight-Line Arms Form
          Shaolin Great Power Form
          Yingyang Cudgel
          Shaolin Broadsword
          Plum Blossom Form
          Plough Mantis Form

Second Volume:
          The sixteen types in five stances
          The short Shaolin cudgel
          The snapkicking form with ten sections
          The Shaoin spear with thirteen types
          The single wintersweet broadsword
          The little martial monk form
          The Damo sword
          The Dragon Form
          The cudgels with six unifications
          The form always keeping the will
          The spears with six unifications
          The wintersweet mantis form
          The Taizu long form
          The form with six unifications

Third volume:
          The plough form
          The cudgel long to your brow
          The broadsword against the spear (this is pretty clear, too)
          The Shaolin shian power form
          The spring autumn great broadsword
          The Guangdong's form
          The refined martial monk's form
          The pole broadsowd against the spear
          The Shaolin lianhuan spear
          The Damo cane
          The great martial Monk's form
          The Shaolin twin-broadswords
          The Shaolin single t-cane
          the t-cane against the spear

Comment

The spring autumn great broadsword, First, second and third section of Dahong's Form, Xiaohong's Form to start.

Wubu and Lian Huan are very basic, I never bothered learning those.

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
              The spring autumn great broadsword, First, second and third section of Dahong's Form, Xiaohong's Form to start.
              Do you mean these are especially interesting and profitable to learn?

How come there are non of those Lohan/Arhat boxing forms (styles?) on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by searcher View Post
                How come there are non of those Lohan/Arhat boxing forms (styles?) on the list?
                i would assume the "warrior monk" sets refer to the luóhànquán (罗汉拳).

there are some odd "translations" on that list, like "the sunny form", which probably refers to zhāoyángquán (朝阳拳) which means "morning sun boxing".

Comment

Yes.

I thought I saw Xiao Lohan in that book years ago when I read it. Well, my memory ain't what it used to be. The Da Lohan form is not widely taught in its entirety.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                  X