Jain texts without killing insects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jain texts without killing insects

I m quite happy to have found a lot of jain texts on the web.

I think to know jain philosophy is important to understand budism. Both are quite different from hinduism and though budism speaks little of non violence / ahimsa, they share a lot of practices.

Jainism is one of the most ancient religion in the world, particularly as a monastic religion. Its concentration on non violence for every being and its vegetarianism is quite unique. In the Akaranga sutra, the discipline for monks, u might find interpretations of how the earth element also has spirit and that s why one should be non violent with it. It may also give some insight on the process of rebirth when death comes.

Jains are also famous for their attention to insects. I dont know but i guess that apart from oral transmission, reading on the web might prevent the risk of killing insects in the process of making paper, like cutting trees in the forest. I ve read once that Sakyamuni created the vassa retreat, the summer retreat, because some hindus complained that his disciples didnt take care of insects. Bodidamma might have said, no holiness, the sound of an ant.

After all, arent most insects just like u, not wanting to die?

Peace and love

Liu, the insects that wander into my condo here in Thailand all want to die.

Otherwise, they would not have come into my domain and bothered the **** out of me.

Simple.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Doc, i dont know really but just to have some philosophical dialogue i would say

You say your domain. Chan tells us there is no me, that we should forget the identification to the ego and that there is no mine. When i walk in the mountain i try not to have the feeling that it is mine. For me also walking in the chinese mountain and being careful not to kill insects is a training not to be a colonialist and coming to a foreign land thinking a, it is mine. Same goes when i practice gongfu in nature.

U also say that the insects want to die cause they r coming to the place where u live. Well i dont know really but does an insect that live a few days has such ideas that he is going to a place where there is danger or where an other being lives? Also u seem to say that everything has a logic, that everything has a cause or a goal. Isnt that a bit delirious? Is everything linked. I know i have the tendency sometimes to see strange links but i guess often it is just a projection of my unconcious and my desire.

Frankly about insects or animals wanting to die, i try not to have opinion. I have seen many insects going away from danger. Like a muslim would see Allah in a fly, consider if a fly wants to die when u try smash it. On the other hand i ve seen insects staying around a bird when he was eating them and i have seen animals not running away from a lion when he was coming slowly.

Is there logic in nature? Can we find a general law about the desire of animals to live or not and what is good karma according to killing?

Would u help me find a solution to what is good and non violent?

The budists often say that just like u many animals dont want to die. So why be attached to ur ego or to the idea of an independant self and cut urself from animals? Maybe that is one way for the 72 transformations of Sun Wukong?

Peace and love

Comment

Originally posted by liutangsanzang View Post
        U also say that the insects want to die cause they r coming to the place where u live. Well i dont know really but does an insect that live a few days has such ideas that he is going to a place where there is danger or where an other being lives?
        They all know that my house is off limits.

I publicly execute any transgressors, so that I can set an example.

And then I give their bodies to the local Thai's so that they can be eaten.

It's all very simple.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

nd then I give their bodies to the local Thai's so that they can be eaten.

It's all very simple. zz0.ndfmgxbd31zz

Comment

Jainism, an ancient Indian religious tradition, places a strong emphasis on non-violence (ahimsa). In Jain philosophy, adherents strive to minimize harm to all living beings, including buy live ants with queen​. This commitment to non-violence is reflected in the way Jain texts approach the topic of interacting with insects.

Comment

Get value for your investment with competitive pvc floor prices in the UAE. Enjoy the benefits of high-quality flooring solutions without compromising your budget.

Comment

Working...
              X