modern shaolin curriculum & styles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modern shaolin curriculum & styles

I'm starting this thread to talk about what is worthwhile as far as the curriculum of the modern shaolin organizations and the songshan curriculum.

1. Kanjia quan: this looks cool and since it seems rare I could see myself suffering through the songshan curriculum to get it. Shi Guolin's organization has a tape on this and I hope that what they are calling kanjia quan is in fact several sets from the system. I hope it's not one 32 move form or something.

2. Xiao hong quan & Da hong quan: not bad I guess. from what I've read these are in fact the traditional forms. I guess they would help me develop overall.

3. Tongbei quan: this is part of the songshan curriculum but based on what I've read it's not real tongbei. I don't see how it would be useful if it's just a modern wushu version or even an older shaolin abstraction that doesn't grasp the meaning and intent of the real tongbei.

4. Luohan quan: if what they are calling luohan quan is one really big set that is actually the whole system put together that's fine. Or maybe they know all the forms. But from what I've seen this system is big (scroll down a little) and I can't see myself doing anything with some miniature abstraction of that system. In other words if this is a 32 move form then it seems useless.

5. Taizu: I've seen websites from two schools that teach this system and it has multiple hand sets. So once again if all I get is a 32 move abstraction without keywords, principles, understanding etc. I don't think I'm learning the real art.

I think that some of these schools might have some rare styles that are actually complete systems and maybe I could learn one of those if I suffered through the basic songshan material.

Originally posted by sabin1star View Post
    3. Tongbei quan: this is part of the songshan curriculum but based on what I've read it's not real tongbei. I don't see how it would be useful if it's just a modern wushu version or even an older shaolin abstraction that doesn't grasp the meaning and intent of the real tongbei.
    what do you propose to be "the real tongbei"?

shaolin tongbiquan is based on xiaohongquan, dahongquan, & houquan (monkey boxing)- two of which you have decided are in fact the traditional sets.

4. Luohan quan: if what they are calling luohan quan is one really big set that is actually the whole system put together that's fine. Or maybe they know all the forms. But from what I've seen this system is big (scroll down a little) and I can't see myself doing anything with some miniature abstraction of that system. In other words if this is a 32 move form then it seems useless.

5. Taizu: I've seen websites from two schools that teach this system and it has multiple hand sets. So once again if all I get is a 32 move abstraction without keywords, principles, understanding etc. I don't think I'm learning the real art.

I think that some of these schools might have some rare styles that are actually complete systems and maybe I could learn one of those if I suffered through the basic songshan material.
    with respect, i think you are going about your studies in the wrong way.

basically, songshan is a massive system in itself. all of these subsystems are not completely different. they share the same foundation. they are of the same system, i.e. songshan shaolin.

no one really studies only one subsystem, but learns these foundational sets from each of them because they contain the core principles from those subsystems.

since the foundation is the same, it is not like learning completely separate arts and only scratching the surface with each, thus making you a jack of all trades, master of none.

rather it is like refining your skills in different areas, all from the same foundation.

if you chose only one, you would only be developed in one area. to be a wellrounded practitioner of the songshan shaolin system you really need them all. which is why the main principles and techniques have been pulled out of them and put into core boxing & weapon sets from each subsystem.

of course, you couldnt do that if they were all completely separate arts... but they're not.

after learning the main sets from each subsystem, only then would it make sense to study one in depth.

hope that makes sense.

Comment

In the main russbo site there is a listing of commonly taught traditional Shaolin forms. I wrote that many years ago with the help of Decheng, DeYang, DeQing et al.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Tongbeiquan may be short, but it is a damn sweet form. It has so many useful things in there that quite frankly, coupled with Xiaohongquan, it ought to keep a mindful practitioner busy for the rest of their life.

Ask not what your form can do for you, but what you can make of your form.

Comment

understanding a style shouldnt take more then a few years imo. expressing yourself through your style and elevating that style to a higher level is what takes a long time to do, imo.
          "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Working...
          X