Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shi Yongxin intends to establish temples in the U.S., so that Shaolin culture will ta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shi Yongxin intends to establish temples in the U.S., so that Shaolin culture will ta

Shi Yongxin (the middle one), an abbot in Songshan Shaolin Temple in Henan Province arrived in Los Angeles with his visiting team on March 24 (local time). He will deliver a speech, participate in the opening ceremony, visit police station of Los Angeles and carry out other activities there. The visiting team will also perform cultural exchange and make performance in Disneyland.

"Shaolin culture has gradually been comprehended, recognized and loved by American people. I hope that it will take root and become prevalent here. Shaolin Temple is willing to exchange with foreign countries with its own cultural advantages, so as to facilitate the whole world’s understanding of China,” said Mr. Shi who is visiting Los Angeles.

Five years ago, the House of Representatives of Los Angeles made a resolution under the efforts of Yu Yinliang (a member of the House of Representatives of California with the Chinese origin) that the annual March 21 was regarded as "The day of Songshan Shaolin Temple in China”, for the purpose of facilitating the citizen’s better comprehension of Shaolin culture which is integrated Buddhism, martial art, medicine and art. To celebrate the fifth anniversary of "The day of Songshan Shaolin Temple in China”, Mr. Shi and his visiting team headed for California to preside over a series of activities themed with “Journey of Shaolin Culture” on invitation. Schwarzenegger (sheriff of California) hereby issued a greeting letter to greet Mr. Shi and express gratitude to him for his contributions to the enrichment of diversified culture in California.

After visiting Sacramento (capital city of California) and San Francisco, Mr. Shi and his visiting team returned to Los Angeles to proceed with the “Journey of Shaolin Culture”. He presided over the opening ceremony of Grand Hall in Shaolin Cultural Center in Los Angeles. Meanwhile, he presided over the ceremony of proclaiming dozens of local religious women and men as Buddhists, announcing that they had been accepted as disciples of Shaolin Temple.

According to Mr. Shi, two Shaolin Cultural Centers and San Jose Center for Shaolin Art Performance have been established in San Francisco and Los Angeles in California. They are all non-profitable cultural groups aimed at imparting martial art, Buddhist culture and health-preserving knowledge to members. Mr. Shi said that he intended to establish temples in the U.S. in a high time.

In remembrance of activities themed with “Journey of Shaolin Culture”, post offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles in California launched cachets printed with patterns of Shaolin Temple on “The day of Songshan Shaolin Temple in China”.

It will be fun to watch them try to get US visas for their "monks".
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

lol doc,

this is pretty interesting though. I wonder how this will change L.A. and san jose, for that matter.

And i wonder what they are going to teach, im pretty sure monks know both traditional and modern wushu.

Then that brings in the whole controversy of modern wushu. Is it true that they wont let you in the military if youve studied modern wushu?

Ive taken modern styled wushu and i thought it was great. there were even sparring sessions, though i didnt participate. I thought it had great carryovers into competition.

Anyway, time will tell right?
      "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Well, I was being sarcastic. It took me over two years of nonsensical struggle, and a few trips to China, to get US visas for De Cheng and Xing Wei.

It will be interesting to see how fast Yongxin gets his, for his new commercial enterprise in the US. Of course, they'll be brought over as "religious" figures, and of course, they'll be working in non taxed "religious" facilities.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Wow,

So they are getting religious privileges, that an interesting tidbit. I personally like the idea.
          "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

What about wushu and the military?

Comment

I personally think it would help in terms of agility. lol jk

Check this out, China vs america in an obstacle course competition.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFoWCbQjwXw"]YouTube - US Marines VS Chinese Marines[/ame]

Comment

Working...
              X