Time for gongfu in MMA!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for gongfu in MMA!!!

When are we going to see gong fu practitioners in MMA fights? I think it's time gong fu people start sharpening their skills and get in the game because we have a lot to offer. PLease share your thoughts on this guys and your experiances. Are any of you envolved in MMA? And are you using your gongfu skills?

imo, gung fu is a good base, but i think people are to ignorant towards gung fu as a whole. i remember when anderson fought patrick cote and he did some feints, joe rogan called it "wing chun sticky hands" lolo and he wasnt even touching him

yknow, gung fu has alot to offer but gung fu still isnt very mainstream, and alot of so called gung fu people dont know real gung fu.

the biggest problem with traditional martial arts is the charlatans, its very easy to fake something people know nothing about, espcially in the west, but this happens in the east aswell.

mma is pretty straightforward, if u cant do what the sport demands its obvious. weaknesses are readily exposed.

also, unless you spent a good deal of your youth doing gung fu, its not really easy for people to cross train grappling and kung fu because even though gung fu has to change and what not you cant change the core of it.

and what that is involves more then punching and kicking, u have to incorporate weapons, alot of styles practice lion dance and not to mention the skills alot of gung fu is based on is sensitivity. which is good for mma its just most people dont pick these skills up quickly
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Well you have lots of good points here. The charlatans are the majority within the gong fu community and thats going to ceep having the nullifying effect on gong fu as it has had for a long time. I want to point out though that several gongfu styles are very grappling and wrestling based. Tai chi is mostly that, xing yi too. The problem is most practitioners of these arts dont train to compete in them they mostly do it for relaxation. I have been doing xing yi and tai chi push hands for some time and i combine these skills with brazilian jujitsu for the ground game. for striking i practice regular western boxing. MOre people could do this and should- a real tai chi master has no problem what so ever throwing a big strong guy to the ground.

Comment

You saw a lot of traditional styles in the early days of ufc, when it was uncensored and truly no holds barred.

And they would kick ass.

And then they got banned, and ufc transformed into the gracie playground for a few years. Bjj became mainstream. And the competition for bjj was G.R. wrestling, muai thai, and boxing/kickboxing, judo is in there as well, but thats just the root art of bjj, oh yeah and sambo, which is also born from judo and a few other arts.

We saw a lot of this for a good number of years, then fighters started coming out who crosstrain in traditional arts like karate, and they are currently kicking butt too, to name just a few, machida, st pierre, cung le(sanshou). They are at the top of their game. And its a heavy burden, because people think traditional arts arent effective and are just a load of b.s. and formwork. So the guys who actually have the balls to represent their art have to carry the burden and pride of their art as well. But i think that in all probability, we will be seeing more traditional style martial artists popping out of the woodwork.
        "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

well for one this thread is about gung fu not "traditional martial arts" in the ufc. and not to mention BJJ is a traditional art and so are muy thai and wrestling so i dunno what your talking about..

im not quite sure what you mean about the early ufcs, i have all of them and most of pride(wish it was the other way around) aswell as alot of cage rage, wec, ifl etc i dont think the sport has changed that much in the last 10 years, i think its still in its infancy

and gsps karate sux, lyotos karate is good, both are good fighters.
          "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I do agree with maestro that the MMA game is still young but i see a lot of changes going on all the time style and flavor changes. I am sure that if gongfu people trained like I do- doing form work, applications, sparring, conditioning strength etc. Using and developing the full potential of these arts, they would be succesful in the mma game. the problem is that most gongfu people just dont have a clue nore do they care they are mostly in it for the harmony and chinese culture and thats to bad its got so much more.

Comment

Maestro, i dont even know why i even bother socializing with people like you but what the hell. I'll entertain myself. But im not going to sit here and waste my time explaining anything to an ignorant person such as yourself.

My point is, traditional arts are the closest you will get to "gongfu" since chinese and indian martial arts are the forefathers of all martial arts. Some say greece also played a role, but they did not intermingle as much as china and india did.

The japanese and thai arts you see are descendants of shaolin kung fu. Why dont you read up on the history of martial arts.

And you are stupid to assume that no one in the ufc knows "gongfu" Whether it is their foundation or something they crosstrain in. Its just something most people keep secret. Either becaue they are embarrassed, or they are guarding their source.

Btw, maestro, you're a masturbating mollywop.

Oh yeah, and you obviously dont know what your talking about. But you supposedly own all of the ufc material. Omg, youre such a groupie. Ghey... You probably watch wwf to. hahahahahaha. Kids...

Maybe thats why you seem a lot younger then me. Because you're a sheltered nurtured spoiled little turd who learned how to fight from the back of a cereal box.
              "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

whatever happened to being the change you'd like to see in the world?
                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Short proverbs like these which sum up life in one go, are usually the hardest to enact. So goddamn me, for not taking steps to change when the person next to me is a complete jackass. Right? I've learned how to be humble, and not to become overzealous or self righteous as i did in the past. The problem for me is doing it. Its a self control thing.

We all have to make a change, small and gradually overtime, and thats what irk's me.
                  Last edited by master splinter; 06-10-2009, 04:32 PM.

Comment

but isn't it rather that we just enjoy putting it off to another day, even when everything we have is actually here right now? just as rivers struggle to reach the sea, there are many routes to the same goal.
                    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Well, it is a pretty unrealistic goal but thats why i like putting on my meat string.

Comment

I think the main reason that there isn't any Kung Fu, is that it's not really gone sports wise. Not properly.

For the most part its still for killing.

I could be wrong....

Comment

i thought it was for healing?
                          ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by Fu Jow Pai View Post
                            I think the main reason that there isn't any Kung Fu, is that it's not really gone sports wise. Not properly.

For the most part its still for killing.

I could be wrong....

Yup, you're wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by onesp1ng View Post
                              i thought it was for healing?
                              If its for healing why learn the techniques for fighting?

I think its for both, but in the context of MMA, your not going to get in the ring with one of those big ****ers and try and heal him of his anguish, or teach him Zen. " hello Mr kimbo Slice, have you tried Chi Gung?'

**** that.

im 6'2 and weigh 93 kilos, and there is no way im gonna get in a ring and let one of those guys tear me a new ass hole.

On the street they're fair game and you can use what you want. i.e Kung Fu nastyness...

Comment

Working...
                              X