Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do after/instead of Shaolin Kung Fu

Hi all!

I will probably have to sop Shaolin Kung Fu, because the only schools around are more than one hour drive (one way) and this i stoo much for me (time employment, famly job, kids, wife, money).

Wile I will continue forms and stances training for myself I was looking for MA schools(clubs around where I live (in France).

What I like especially in Shaolin Kung Fu is:
    - Physically demanding (great general fitness factor)
    - High efficiency in real fight situations
    - philosophical/cultural background (and I like the Chinese!)
    - Well balanced ratio between kicks, punches (fist, palm), Qin Na, Dian Xue
    - In case of agression learn to hit first

Now around my place I found:
    - Boxe Francaise (French boxing/savate)
    - kickboxing
    - Muay Thai
    - Taekwondo
    - Jiu Jitsu

I know that I'd still have to visit a training and get known to the master/coach, but if all that were good, what would you guys go for?

Keep it up,
    Michael

I think Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai are pretty effective things to know. Taekwondo is too sport oriented for my taste. I've only seen a little Savate, but I was terribly impressed by it. Not sure I'd study it, but it was fascinating to watch.

I like gong fu for a different reason (and I'm not a big fan of the Chinese, regardless of where they are). I find it excellent mind work. Doing forms is a great way of honing one's mind, and meditating.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Yeah, I guess I will continue to do Kung Fu forms even after switching to another system...

While apparently Muay Thai doesn't, I read Jiu Jitsu had also a spiritual aspect, a bit like Kung Fu?

Comment

if you understand yourself you should understand other martial arts. but you have to be open minded about these things, those arts only teach you skills and methods of training, i think expressing yourself through these systems is the most important.

so..basically i would say go find the best teacher or pick the style that suits your personality or your wants and go do it.

i suggest hitting up some other forums like kung fu qi gong etc and seeing if there arent some teachers in hiding.

my first teacher doesnt advertise and i found out about him through a friend, but hes by far the best in this area if not one of the best in new england i would say. but who knows whos out there lolo
        "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I would definetely keep practising Shaolin even if a master is not readily available. My Grandmaster fled Shaoli Si during the Cultural Revolution. He taught only 5 stuDdentd during his time in America. He encouraged my master to study. Ji-jitsu$m I think that ji-jitsu will work very well in conjunction with any training you might receive in Shaolin Chin Na.

Comment

Anyway I wouldn't have let down Kung Fu! I will continue on my own, and maybe, just as you said, go see a master to have my progress checked.

I am looking for something complementary, with a string fighting focus, to do on a regular basis, together with others. In my school we never practice fighting patterns with a partner, this is missing to me.

Also, I find it sometimes difficult to practice always alone and not have others to share or to do joint exercises.
            That's why I want to do another, second, martial arts next to Kung Fu...

So I guess I will try the schools in the following order: Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, Taekwondo.

Thanks to all!

Comment

Muay Thai is a good choice.

It's always fun to hit something.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Sometimes I think I should open a Shaolin KF club here. There's no offer widely around. The problem is, I don't feel ready to teach others. I just know the bsic routines (stances static and in motion) Ji Ben Gong, Tan Tui, and then wu Bu and Lian Huang Quan. I'm still learning more forms, but on my own.
                What do you guys think? Should I?

Comment

no you shouldnt
                  "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

i don't see anything wrong with starting something where people can share their knowledge and skills. i get together on saturdays sometimes with a few guys and we push and trade techniques, etc. we're all students of various teachers in the area though, so we're grounded (so-to-speak) in why it is we're doing what we're doing.

with that said, if there is nothing else available, then why not just try contacting people or posting stuff around to see if people have similar interests? then you wouldn't have to lead the club, etc.. instead everyone would simply be equals in sharing and learning more about the arts together. you can practice your own stuff, discuss, and so on..

there's a saying '三人行,必有我师' which i take to mean, we can learn from just about everyone... anyone can be a teacher...etc..
                    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

It's all kung fu man. The Shaolin part is largely mindset.

With enough imagination, I'm sure that some understanding will mushroom in your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by onesp1ng View Post

there's a saying '三人行,必有我师' which i take to mean, we can learn from just about everyone... anyone can be a teacher...etc..
                        Yes, very true. And remember, most of the time, if you're really observant, you learn what NOT to do from people. Being able to learn the good and the bad is key.

russbo.com

Comment

1 is this is the saying of KONGzi? Does it mean i should prefer group sex with some other men?

Comment

Wow.

Bummer it's too late to edit THAT statement, LOL

russbo.com

Comment

don't know what to say... other than, yes, it was kongzi.
                              ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Working...
                              X