No announcement yet.

For the record, I don't think anyone reads these

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i tend to question the accuracy of a lot of that translation...but the idea is there. personally i'm still fond of sanderson beck's version, which we got permission to reprint on the site.

check it out:

ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Well the reason i like the video is because i dont have to read anything.

I can "read without reading" *looks off into the distance. lol
      "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Originally posted by onesp1ng View Post
        have you read the daodejing? if not, you might find some wisdom in it. but as i am unsure if you speak chinese or not, i'll just paste an english portion below for you.

When the wise hear the Way, they practice it diligently.
        When the mediocre hear of the Way, they doubt it.
        When the foolish hear of the Way, they laugh out loud.
        If it were not laughed at, it would not be the Way.

there is a process to everything, indeed. but, i think this is what liu may have been referring to when asking that question. it's framed so well that the question can easily be interpreted in many different ways. yet, the point is so, that regardless of the answer, the question will always tend to reflect back on itself. that's the idea.

where does oneself end and everything else begin?

who are you really?

the passage from the tao makes sense, thanks
        also, the questions are good

Comment

I think u r bit narcisstic believing u understand fast many secrets, that not so many people r not taking responsabilities but that u do...

I dont know

Joining a community might help u and looking for non sectarian teachings> Many people have many ways, i m sure u can find many that make sense

About vegetarianism, i m not preaching but i like to ask questions because i think dogmatism is big cause of violence. Do u believe nature is non violent, that the food chain is perfect?

Hippie peace and love

Comment

Originally posted by liutangsanzang View Post
            I think u r bit narcisstic believing u understand fast many secrets, that not so many people r not taking responsabilities but that u do...

I dont know
            I am a bit narcisstic. But that aside, I actually do have more answer, and I actually do take responsibility for myself, my thoughts, and my actions.

But more importantly, do you agree with any of the things that I wrote?

I feel like you're telling me that I should let should let someone else think for me, and I don't think I should do that.

I have respect for religions and religious leaders, but I feel like even the most important religious leaders would tell me it is better to think for myself.

I'm not seeking certain answers, I have them.

I still have many questions, and am happy to seek the answers to those questions. But I will not let others decide the answer for me. Ever.

I have learned that letting others think for me leads to unpleasent results.

My only other options are to think for myself or to give up.

I have decided not to give up.

If someone has answers I agree with I will use them. If someone says something I've never heard before that I think makes sense I will be enlightened. If someone tells me I must agree with them I'll realize that they are trying to control me.

I don't want others to control me. I want to control myself. I have chosen to take responsibility for myself because I don't want to be helpless. Being helpless sucks.

Taking responsibility for myself is hard, but worthwhile.

I feel that I have more answers because I have more life experience. I have suffered and overcome more hardship. Those who have climed a mountain know how to climb a mountain. They may not know the only way to climb a mountain, but they know how.

It is the same for life. If you have done it then you know how to do it. You may not know the best or most efficient way. You might only know the way that works for you, but you still know, and therefore do not need to ask others. You can even teach others.

If you have already done it, then you know how to do it. Seriously, it's that simple, and that freaking hard.

More importantly than who I am or why I think the way I do is one question:

Do you agree? With any of it? Why or Why not?

Comment

Joining a community might help u and looking for non sectarian teachings> Many people have many ways, i m sure u can find many that make sense
              I don't know what non sectarian teachings are, but I agree, there are many people who have many ways that make sense.

About vegetarianism, i m not preaching but i like to ask questions because i think dogmatism is big cause of violence. Do u believe nature is non violent, that the food chain is perfect?
              I do think the food chain is perfect, but I don't think it is non violent. I think it is violent. I also don't know what dogmatism is.

Comment

have you read the daodejing? if not, you might find some wisdom in it. but as i am unsure if you speak chinese or not, i'll just paste an english portion below for you.

When the wise hear the Way, they practice it diligently.
                When the mediocre hear of the Way, they doubt it.
                When the foolish hear of the Way, they laugh out loud.
                If it were not laughed at, it would not be the Way.
                I feel like I didn't do a good job of responding to you last time onesp1ng, so here is my second go around:

I have read the Tao. It is one of my favorite religious texts. This is one of my favorite passages. I think it makes perfect sense. I have seen it in action. I don't agree with all of the Tao, but I like most of it.

where does oneself end and everything else begin?
                All life stems from the same place. It is possible that we are all a different face of god. It is possible that everything is random. It is possible that this is a dream.

But if you assume this is real, I am made from the same matter as everything else on this planet. I am part of the same story. Every choice I ever make will effect the entire world in the butterfly effect manner. My actions affect those around me. The emotions and actions of the rest of the world affect me.

I am individual, unique. This is important. If I were the same life would not progress forward. Every creature on this earth is both unique and intercontected.

I believe there is some force in operation which moves live forward by examining every possiblity it can create through evolution, weather, gravity, etc. It is the interaction between all of these different elements that produce everything that is currently going on.

If everyone behaved the same way life would be pointless. If everything were the same it would be hopless. If you act without considering the consequences of your actions on those around you both parties will be unhappy.

There is more than one answer to any question.

Asking questions is just as important as answering them.

who are you really?
                Do you really want to know?

Who are you really? (I really want to know)

Comment

It can be a good thing skit, that you try to grasp all possibilities.

But... The hardest part is not, knowing the possibilities. The real challenge lies in Reaching your benevolent goal.

The random nature of things, gives you the opportunity to accomplish your goals. The hard part is paving your own path through this jungle of possibilities.

Your mind is your machete, and your spirit is the fire.

lol.
                  "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Well friend, i agree with a lot u say, but do i know it?

I have the feeling it might be useful u reflect on emptiness of indenpendant existence, u seem a bit attached to ur self.

Hippie peace and love

Comment

Working...
                    X