anyone into archery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone into archery?

Anyone here into archery? I want to get into it but am really clueless as to where to start. So I would apreciate any advice, Maybe good books or videos ect. I really like the long bows, but the guy at gander mountain said I should start out with a compound and work my way up to the long bow. I can only pull back about 30 lbs right now.

kunoichi

When i was 8 i would play with my uncles longbow. I love archery but im not pro or anything...

Just set up a target in your backyard, buy yourself a bow and a few arrows from your local sporting goods store and go at it. Practice practice practice.

The beauty of a bow is that the more you arc the shot, the farther it goes. it isnt as simple as aim and shoot...like a gun.

And you gotta be careful, make sure you arent around any people when you are practicing, lol.
    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Archery

Kunoishi,

this might get you started:

A great overview on archery

Texas Park and Life - A nice overview about archery positions

uwe

Comment

Having been an avid bow hunter in the past, all I can say is get a good forearm protector, and a trigger release. It will help you save some skin...
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

i found this picture of doc in my archives, from his hunting days
          Attached Files
          "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Maestro, picture doesn't show the compound bow, semi automatic rifle, and hand grenades.

Grenades are good for deer. Fishing too.

You know, I did take out a deer with a bow at around 70 yards once... Back in the day.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

Thanks for the links, uwe. I ordered a recurve bow. (can't wait for it to arrive) Also got the arm guard. I went shooting at an archery range and the string got my arm once. It stung , but wasn't to bad.

Thanks,
              kunoichi

Comment

I did some archery in a tibetan familu in Kham with a frenchman retired from the army. I was shit at it, couldnt even dare to throw an arrow

Then we went to see the Mekong. The frenchman retired from army threw off his food.

Hippie peace and love

Comment

Ah, there it is. By the way is it me or did Liu just complete a normal thought? (Notwithstanding the bit about the Frenchman who "threw off his food".)

Comment

What I would really like to do is to make my own compound bow.
                    In a compound bow, horn is attached to the back of the bow, as horn has elasticity when compressed. On the front of the bow, sinews are glued since sinews have elasticity when stretched.

How this technique is practically applied is still quite a mystery to me. Here in Europe the craft used to be widespread, but I can't find any documentation as to how exactly it was done.

In Asia they still make them like they used to. I found this video describing the manufacture of the Korean horn bow, but it's in Korean!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3cjk3-AHcI"]YouTube - How to make an Asian Bow - Part 1of 2.[/ame]

I was wondering if any of you understand Korean? Will you help me find out what they are saying?
                    What is the thing they make glue from? Where do the sinews come from and how are they processed?

There is also a video of a Mongol horn bow, but it is hardly any more helpful.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgEp4ZAPbs0"]YouTube - How the Mongol Bow is Made.[/ame]

BTW, Kunoichi, how is your bow?
                    And Uwe, I think the first link there is dead

Comment

asger,

how are things? you returned home? how long did you end up staying in taiwan?

let me know the next time you pass through. :-)

s
                      ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Hi sping! I will send you an email.
                        You wouldn't by chance know korean?

I really want to make a composite bow. I know that in Europe the wood was often made of hazel, which was cut in winter when the juices are withdrawn from the branches and the wood becomes hard.
                        I wonder how quickly a simple longbow made of only wood loses its springiness. I think a composite bow will have almost ever lasting springiness.

Comment

I love shooting my bow. It's not the greatest bow but it works and I have fun with it. I would love to have a mongolian bow, they are so cool looking. Sorry, can't help you with korean, but maybe you could check out one of the traditional archery forums. There are usually people on there that are pretty knowledgable about bow making. Maybe they could help you.

Kunoichi

Comment

i don't have a bow, but i've been getting morre and more into the spirit of archery. i've read the word samurai means to serve. it's kind of funny how that works.

if i could have one, i'd get the japanese style one with the hand and arrow held lower, not in the center, etc. not sure what it's called exactly, but, as i hear, there's less kick back that way and apparently more accuracy as well.

i'm carving my own wooden broadsword; i don't see any reason why you couldn't make your own bow.

just have to keep at it and ... if you don't succeed or it's not perfect.... try...try...again.

:-)
                            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Well, abput serving and the samurai, it is funny these days in the hotel there r a bunch of japanese, while the dalai lama is teaching in japan. I felt very sorry yesterday that killing civilians in hiroshima and nagasaki is often seen as a good thing, contrary to the holy qoran, no?

Why cant u send a few hundred million people in japan and save the childrem, animals, civilians, innocents, dying like jesus...

Maybe should make some official apologies someday...

Comment

Working...
                              X