Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Long Fist

From an email I received:

any info on northern long fist? ,or chuen fa?

Anyone know anything about "northern long fist"???
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Northern Long Fist....lol.
    It is a generic name for the northern schools. Cha, Shaolin, Hua, Hong, etc.....
    chang chuan....

Or as Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming calls it, Northern Shaolin Long Fist.....
    practice wu de

Comment

That's kind of what I told this guy, but I also told him that I wasn't sure. Just another attempt by some martial arts school to have something unique. All very bizarre, and expected.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

It is actually very common. It is either traditional or contemporary, even though the tradtional is quite contemporary. It is what I study. Includes tan tui, chang chuan, etc.
        practice wu de

Comment

thanks doc, and shaolin stylee

Hi me again.

I was told that our forms (chuen fa) are longer than other kung-fu forms in length?
          Now if that means overall distance covered or moves per form i'm not quite sure.
          I do know that the first three forms learned are "hard style?" while the more
          advanced one's are "soft".
          The advanced forms include more lotus? forms(forgive me i 'm new to kung-fu)
          and include the staff and sabre.

Don't know if that'll shed any light but, if you want i can explain the forms.

Comment

There are forms in Shaolin that are one to two hundred "steps' in length. Most, however, are in the sixty to seventy step range. Also, the forms in Shaolin include far more weapons than just a staff and sabre.

You have to be careful about semantics when it comes to martial arts. Everybody and their grandmother teach Shaolin, everybody and their grandmother teach their own "style" of Shaolin, and they all have their own names for it.

No wonder Yongxin want's to control the Shaolin name....

russbo.com

Comment

thanks

Thanks Doc .
              Had no idea at all about the 'forms' or the Grandmothers. lol...
              what i really need is some advice, as i'm permamently on night shift
              and can no longer train at my school. I have my 2 forms but, i need to expand
              on my training, would Shaolin chuan and or Shaolin chuan2 be of help, as
              i think i need lower stances?

thanks james

Comment

My personal preference is to try and master fewer things, as opposed to having a good grasp over a wide range. I think that when you're stuck without a teacher for a period of time, it's an opportunity to just concentrate on what you know already and really improve that. If you're not gonna be able to learn any more forms from a teacher for the moment, I'd concentrate on the two forms you know now - get them perfect. Monotonous but very beneficial...

Comment

I'd have to agree with Lipster on this one...

Gives good time to pay good detail to stances and footwork. Proper alignment, etc.
                  practice wu de

Comment

Had no idea at all about the 'forms' or the Grandmothers. lol...
                    We haven't started talking about all the grandmasters, lol

russbo.com

Comment

i agree

after seeing all your replies i'm gonna do it your way.
                      eventually i'll be able to return to school, and if all i've done
                      was mastered 2 forms, then so be it. But i'll still be
                      training for higher kicks and lower stances ect... along the way.

james

Comment

Working...
                      X