Shangrila

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shangrila

Well, we went there to receive transmission of bodisatva vows but for some reasons, nobody could give it. So we went looking for bodisatva and finally ended up in a Kagyu temple, where Shifu Gompo was kind to teach us. Still dont understand much. He asked me tonite where my spirit came from and i didnt know how to answer and he said to see it comes from nothing...

If u want hook up in Shangrila and speak a bit chinese, i highly recommend it...

Hippie peace and love

O yea, just add this, we practiced Powa, transfer of consciousness at death. First night we did it for all the deceased and next night how to do it for ourselves at time of death. In preliminary practices after taking refuge and bodhicitta, have to visualize Arya Avalokistevara at crown of ur head. Yesterday i could feel something vibrating, i didnt know if it was on my head or above. Then some strange stuff appeared on my head (u can ask my wife and Gan Yan this true). But maybe that is just sun burnt or auto suggestion...

yes, I'd say you've most assuredly been in the sun for too long...

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
    Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

lol....................
      ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

whos that chinese girl flicking me off. she needs a dentist..and a makeover

tell her vegetarian ass i got some meat shes never tried before
        "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Trough non action everything is done. Chinese people imitating laozi are slowly transforming society, rulers and rules with pacifist anarchist non action. Cannot the US apply such tactics to societies we judge bad (????) like Kashmir, Israel, Russia???

Hippie peace and love
          Attached Files

Comment

Maestro, save your meat for Thailand.

Having been in "Shangri La", I can assure you, it's not worth wasting there.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

lolo is shangri la a real place? i just thought liu was crazy lol

ive read the lost horizon but..i dont think its what were talkin about

and theres plenty meat to go around...although i am getting old..

Comment

i think there are like three shangrilas these days... but yeah it used to be real. really! lol...
                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

I m reading Eward Said Culture and Imperialism these days. He points out that around 99% of what we call famous english and french writers from 18th and 19th century took imperialism for a fact and never denounced it. Outside people r mainly seen as inferiors that need to be educated.

When i read lost horizon i had this kind of impression. The heroes come from Afghanistan, where the imperial rule is not discussed. The presentation of budism of the shangrila is very superficial, nothing like emptiness, vegetarianism, compassion for every beings, yogic techniques is really discussed... Well maybe that is not so bad, but i thought it is not really interesting politically and philosophically (or maybe evil imperialism in disguise???)

Comment

In Yunnan province, north of Da Li, below Tibet, is a town the Chinese now call "Shangri La". I forget the original name, was there many years ago. OK, wait, I found it in the site:

Zhongdian.

What a shit hole.

Now Da Li and Li Jiang, that's more Shangri La like...
                    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                    russbo.com

Comment

i've heard there are more than one of these (tourist) areas called 'shangrila'. can't say how accurate that info is, though...
                      ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Several places in the Buddhist Himalaya between northern India and Tibet have claimed to be the location for Hilton's fictional Shangri-La, largely to attract tourism.

In China, Tao Qian of the Jin Dynasty described a Shangri-La in his work Story of the Peach Blossom Valley (Chinese: 桃花源記, pinyin: Táohuā Yuán Jì)[citation needed]. In modern China, the Zhongdian county was renamed to 香格里拉 (Xiānggélǐlā, Shangri-La in Chinese) in 2001, to attract tourists. The legendary Kun Lun Mountains in Tibet offer other possible Shangri-La valleys.

A popularly believed inspiration for Hilton's Shangri-La is the Hunza Valley in northern Pakistan, close to the Tibetan border, which Hilton visited a few years before Lost Horizon was published.[2] Being an isolated green valley surrounded by mountains, enclosed on the western end of the Himalayas, it closely matches the description in the novel. A Shangri-La resort in the nearby Skardu valley is a popular tourist attraction.

Today, various places claim the title, such as parts of southern Kham in southwestern Yunnan province, including the tourist destinations of Lijiang and Zhongdian. Places like Sichuan and Tibet also claim the real Shangri-La was in its territory. In 2001, Tibet Autonomous Region put forward a proposal that the three regions optimise all Shangri-la tourism resources and promote them as one. After failed attempts to establish a China Shangri-la Ecological Tourism Zone in 2002 and 2003, government representatives of Sichuan and Yunnan provinces and Tibet Autonomous Region signed a declaration of cooperation in 2004. Also in 2001, Zhongdian County in northwestern Yunnan officially renamed itself Shangri-La County.

Bhutan, which was until now isolated from outside world and has its unique form of Tibetan Buddhism, has been hailed as the last Shangri-La.

Another place that has been thought to have inspired the concept of Shangri-La is the Yarlung Tsangpo Canyon.

TV Presenter and historian Michael Wood, in the "Shangri-La" episode of the PBS documentary series In Search of Myths and Heroes, suggests that the legendary Shangri-La is the abandoned city of Tsaparang, and that its two great temples were once home to the kings of Guge in modern Tibet.

American explorers Ted Vaill and Peter Klika visited the Muli area of southern Sichuan Province in 1999, and revealed that the Muli monastery in this remote region was the model for James Hilton's Shangri-La, which Hilton learned about from articles on this area in several National Geographic Magazine articles in the late 1920s and early 1930s written by Austrian-American explorer Joseph Rock[3]. Vaill completed a film based on their research, "Finding Shangri-La", which debuted at the Cannes Film Festival in 2007.
                        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

zhong dian, the town looked like an old western town, a real shit hole haha. but i liked the pictures of hills or mountains ..but i love the country pretty much anywhere

Comment

Hommage 2 vegetarian dionysos

Dont b angry!

Setting the tantric motivation:
                            May all beings be free, without suffering, without dogmatism and in absolute non violence for every beings such as animals, humans, ghosts, hungry ghosts (petas), war beings (jealous beings) dogmatic beings, attached 2 senses/body/sensual /pleasure and pain/emotional joy and suffering beings, hell beingss ,not seeing mystics beings, not deeply inquiring the validity or not of budist emptiness of independant existence and dionysiac socratic theories of essence/ideas, not understanding self beings

Orphic socrates (469 BC+399 BC) in Plato's republic supposedly said that the guardians of the republic had to be vegetarian, witout material possession and practicing free love. He also kind of explained that being vegetarian u will be able 2 c ur past lifes and be immortal. He also maybe emphasized how craving 2 forms and pleasure would be an obstacle 2 contemplation of the essence/idea of goodness (aghaton)> Going beyond the form, not being attached 2 body/pain and pleasure he invited to see the essence, the idea. Sadly the greeks had many political problems such as slavery, machism, tirranny. True or not?

Tsongkapa (1357+1419), the founder of the gelugpa order (yellow hats) of tibetan budists said that the rule 1 4 bodisatvas is not belittle others and/or praise oneself, rule 2 is always share wealth and teachings, rule 3 is never hit someone and always accept apologize, rule x is never b angry and when u c some being angry help him not be angry. Isnt that the foundation of a clear political view of what is absolute and eternal violence? If u r angry, want 2 give suffering without helping, how can u pretend 2 b right? Another base of political view according budism is while having compassion 2 understand and end suffering of every being, u should also realize what is emptiness of independant existence. 4 instance understand how things come in existence from causes and conditions, how it seems they cannot exist what is usually called outside, what is the self that we call "i" or "him",,, Isnt it? But please dont believe emptiness is nothing...
                            http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/x/nav/n.html_184879529.html

Inaki (1491+1556), born near the city of lasarte, the stupid basque vegetarian founder of the jesuits on the other hand gave the following advice 4 philosophical practice in order 2 b in absolute non violence in this life. Dont waste ur time, do not kill and dont **** with his spanish mother or Inaki wont b happy with u.
                            http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/seil/index.htm

Now what is a hungry ghost (sanskritreta, palieta)? That is a very interesting question. I believe, but dont believe me, that petas are left and right and equally evil, they can b fat or thin. Go beyond senses, go beyon attachment 2 pleasure and pain and try 2 c the idea of non violence. Funnily state in french is said "etat" which always make me think of petas, right and left...

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/khantipalo/wheel147.html

Hungry ghosts or peta (lower right in my picture, lower left in the Tibetan) crave for food and drink but find that it turns to fire or foul things when they are able to get it. I have shown a huge moon and a tiny sun, as the verse says:

"From want of merit, hungry ghosts
                            in summer find the moon is hot,
                            in winter sun is cold;
                            Barren are the trees they see
                            and mighty rivers running on
                            dry up whene'er they look at them."
                            — L.K. 95

Then there is a sky-going peta being torn to shreds by birds, as seen by Venerable Moggallana; one "resting" upon rocks under a leafless tree which is the simile used by the Exalted Buddha in the suttas to symbolize the sole comforts of this realm, and two ghosts sunk in the water up to their lower lips, their gaping mouths just a little too high to get any of it. The state of Tantalus was obviously birth among the hungry ghosts! The ghosts all have bloated bellies, extremely slender necks and "needle-mouths." Their sufferings are illustrated further in the Tibetan. They have to bear intense cravings for food and drink and then more sufferings when they manage to get a little of it, for it turns to swords and knives in their bellies. The Buddha in this "abundantly painful" realm carries celestial food to allay the ghosts' cravings. In the words of Ven. Nagarjuna:

"Lord Buddha has declared the cause
                            why beings come to birth as ghosts,
                            torments to endure
                            For when as men they gave no gifts,
                            or giving gave with avarice —
                            They ghostly kamma made."

Finnally, we come 2 imperfect Gandhi who commented on the bagvad gita. Actually in the lotus family there is a female bodisatva named gita that saves the petas from hell. A prayer 4 insects if u want buy this book and may u be in eternal non violence, eternal peace, eternal paradise, eternal non killing. According to his explanation 2 chapter 2 of bagavad gita, the way of having clear political view is 2fold:sankhya and yoga. Sankhya is the theoritecal view that the body is not the self, is impermanent, while the self is the soul, atman, which is eternal, immortal. Though one should not see body and impermanence but soul and eternity. Yoga is selfless and constant service 2 non violence 4 every being. Through detachment from body one gives up narcissism. Gita also emphasize one should act while renouncing the fruit of action. Doing ur duty, reslut is not important and u should not crave for it. 4 instance if u r attached 2 freedom (askatasuna) u might do wrong deeds 4 it. Of course,Gandhi,inspired by the service of jesus was against any killing wether it is human or animal. He emphasized that action must be guided by sacrifice, yajna, which is defined as doing the good of others. Thus no animal or human should be sacrificed. If u encounter a situation where someone makes u suffer, maybe it is because of ur own bad past karma. So in no way should respond by violence, but following the sacrifice of Jesus should u offer ur left cheek. Non violence starts in everyday by being not angry but gentle, understanding and alleviating the suffering of every being

http://www.amazon.com/Bhagavad-Gita-According-Gandhi/dp/1556438001/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251601258&sr=8-1

World's most visited, popular and comprehensive Mahatma Gandhi information website, well-worth bookmarking for Researchers, Scholars, Activists, Students and everyone. Mahatma Gandhi, M.K. Gandhi, Mahatma, Philosophy, non-violence, photographs of Mahatma Gandhi, Ghandi, Mahatma, Mohandas, peace, conflict resolution. Includes a large collection of links on Gandhi, Non-Violence Peace and Conflict Resolution.

The reality of animal suffering

www.petatv.com

Isnt it that many animals r just like u, not want 2 die? On what authority kill a being/make war? Is nature non violent and the food chain perfect? Isnt it living in a world of fantasies, self desire, leading 2 psychosis 2 believe nature is non violent, food chain perfect? And in modern capitalist industry dont many animals suffer?

Agur and hippie peace and free love!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X