Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• study abroad china scholorships?

hello everyone,
    I am trying to do a study abroad program next summer in china, and I really need help finding scholarships and such to fund it. I am new to the whole college thing so I don't even know where to start. My school is really of no help. I am going to a community college and they don't really have any study abroad programs to china. So I basically have to fund it myself. Having been laid off that is going to be hard to do. Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking about the program from IES abroad (iesabroad.org), so if anyone has any experience with them I would love to hear about it.

Kunoichi

Many years ago a good friend of mine did the language intensive study program in Beijing for a year. It was a worthwhile language study experience for her, though it had some negative effects on her health for a while (chronic bronchitis). I am not aware that she did this with any scholarship money; nor am I aware that any scholarship money is available for these programs. One would think not. The people that I know that have gone to China for school, paid for it. Remember, it's not the US, where diverse programs have been set up (donations, tax relief, etc) to provide education for students.

The one advantage is, if you set it up yourself instead of using these intermediaries, it should not be that expensive a proposition, though it may be more than your standard community college costs.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

I kinda thought I'd have to fund it myself. Dosen't hurt to ask. On their website they mention some scholorships but is seems I don't qualify for them. I would only be there for 2 months in the summer. Do you think that that would have ill effects on my health?

kunoichi

Comment

Beijing is a wonderful place to spend time in. The summer time will be hot and humid, and crowded, but still it will be a great experience. The health issues tend to be pulmonary related because of the air pollution, and, because of the dust that gets blown down into China from Mongolia. Winter time brings many cases of bronchitis because of that. Two months should not be an issue.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Working...
        X