Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing Chun training

Hi

I was wondering, if you wanna learn wing chun, how much can you train by your self or with the help of a video? Here in iceland we dont have many who teach wing chun (if any at all)

I would like to train on a wooden dummy. How big piece of the wing chun training includes training against another person? is that a big part? and are there more objects to train on?.

does wing chun have many diifrent exercises or are the exercises maybe not many but the training aims at doing it as fast as you can?

thanks
    Tomas

I dont know but i wouldnt use wood for fear of violence and suffering related 2 insects and emptiness...

Comment

liutangsanzang, i think you should stop using a computer. The plastic and metal contained with-in causes suffering. not only for humans, insects, animals but the planet also.

and every time i read one of your posts i vomit a little in my mouth...

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
      Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Yes indeed the question of suffering and non violence seems quite complex.

Budism ( i dont say true or false) speaks a bout 3 suffering
        suffering of suffering
        suffering of impermanence
        suffering of emptiness (kong)

What is suffering of emptiness? i could not see it clearly but the following example came in my mind

Is the sun violent or non violent?

Well, in some part of africa where rain is scarce people die because of the sun...

Same goes with water, no? Is water or rain non violent?

So is it the suffering of emptiness?

Other suffering u could c for instance in ur food

1 Killing a being that wants to live
        2 Suffering life of this being before his death
        3 Pesticide, pollution
        4 Suffering of workers
        5 Suffering linked to use of money
        6 Suffering in emptiness
        7 Greed and attachment to food
        8 Becoming a humngry ghost (preta)
        9 Being dogmatic about the non violence of ur food, veg or not....
        Last edited by liutangsanzang; 09-08-2009, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by renato View Post
          liutangsanzang, i think you should stop using a computer. The plastic and metal contained with-in causes suffering. not only for humans, insects, animals but the planet also.

and every time i read one of your posts i vomit a little in my mouth...
          HA HA HA!

I laughed so much some piss came out dude.

Comment

If sombody has some info that could help me, please speak up!

TB

Comment

alot of chinese martial arts espcially the southern shaolin styles are based off of bridging and require sensitivity training. not just with the arm but with the leg, its why they train on the wooden dummy like you mentioned above. the wooden dummy can help you develope your tendons for the short explosive force you need because when you bridge you need to explode quickly in more then one direction(up, down, sideways etc)

but if you dont know how to express the different energy and develope the power correctly your not gonna get far with that, if you do then thats great but you still need to have a body to work with and several infact if your focus is fighting or even self defense in the western society.

not to mention the footwork and general experience you get from others. if your new to martial arts or never trained in wing chun dont go buy or make a wooden dummy and start hitting it because i can assure you your structure wont be correct and you wont really understand what your doing.

so in a nutshell i wouldnt suggest training wing chun from a video tape, realy wing chun is a poor art to pick anyhow to practice by yourself because so much of the style has to do with mid to close/clinch range and isnt passive but the bridgeing is different then other styles its softer not that its "soft" just yknow softer lol
              "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I don't train in anything, but from what I've seen it seems like one of the main selling points of Wing Chun is the Chi Sao training, which involves two people (who know what they're doing). I'm sure many teachers would tell you that Wing Chun without this training is not Wing Chun. But again, I am not an authority on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by tommi3520 View Post
                  If sombody has some info that could help me, please speak up!

TB
                  In my opinion the only way you can learn a martial art is by getting into a class that actively teaches it.

Rather than specifically singling out Wing Chun, you'd probably be better off just taking up a class that is near by.

Essentially, all martial arts carry the same principals, however they train different and you have a different way of achieving the same(ish) goal.

However, with regards to learning Wing Chun from a video.... forget it.

Unless you are already an accomplished martial artist you don't have a hope in hell. If you are, then you have a hope of learning some basics, but its in hell.

Comment

Hey Tomas!
                    You can learn Wing Chun by yourself or with videos. Training with a partner is important, but you can still practice forms and techniques solo. Wooden dummy training is great! Wing Chun involves training with others, but you can also use focus mitts and heavy bags. There are many exercises to improve speed and technique.

Comment

Working...
                    X