Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intensity Vs. Duration

Hi Doc

Quick question I can't seem to find the answer to...

I've always read the advice that people need to exercise 30 minutes a day and thought it kind of peculiar. It seems such a relative piece of information.

Lets say I swim 1km at high intensity and complete it in 10 minutes or perhaps I do it at mid-intensity and complete it in 20 or... I chillax and do it in 40 minutes.

How does duration and intensity affect results? By results I mean fitness or fat burning? Or is 1km simply 1km and the benefits are equal across all time frames?

If you know the answer I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
    Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Well, i asked Ma shifu, bagua teacher kind of the same question a few days ago. He said that should do slow taiji and eventually mid speed bagua... I think, if i remember correctly.

I feel a bad embarassed of my deficient memory. Plato said somewhere, i think, that the invention of books were the beginning of decadence for the people wont remember. A lama can learn pages in a few hours and translate for his teacher, maybe hours in a row...

Comment

....not sure how that relates by my question but I'm just glad you had an opportunity to make a reference to Buddhism.

Comment

enjoy your practice. practice when you have time. there is no finish line.

if you have energy, practice for longer durations. if you're tired, rest.

when your body is fully relaxed and your mind is able to accept anything, that is taiji.

taiji, therefore, can be practiced fast or slow. all martial arts are the same, actually. but there are certain reasons why slow practice reaps specific mental/physical/spiritual benefits.
        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

sorry for not being 'relevant.' i was responding to liu's response.

i also offer my further apologies for not making referencing to buddhism. :-)
          ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Read this:

Kilocalories burned depends upon body weight, intensity of exercise, and duration.

Exercising thirty minutes a day is just a rough approximation, to cover most of the population, to some degree. The health benefits of such exercise can be overridden by other bad habits, such as obesity, over eating, smoking, etc. It's all relative, as you suggested. The mets concept is probably the best one for trying to put accurate numbers on it.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

thanks doc, that link is exactly what i was looking for!

Comment

Well after the fast shaolin training at wuwei si, i really appreciate the slowness of the taiji, i find more meditative and easier for me to watch the ground (dragon?) and insects. Also it looks less combat orientaterd, somehow which gives me a break...

Comment

Working...
                X