Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chinese MA school for beginners

No offense was taken, implied or even thought of. I'm just trying to be honest.

It would be eggregious of me to recommend something that I don't have recent information about. And as I have not been to China in almost two years (but have seen and been in touch with Decheng on a regular basis), it would be wrong of me to send you to another school, when I don't know the current conditions.

Going on your own will be fun, and most definitely be an adventure. But, some suggestions:

Be careful of your expectations. It will not be what you expect, but, it will be an experience, and more than likely, a worthwhile one.

Caveat Emptor. Buyer beware. Do not pay anything up front for long term. Be careful, these people are not interested in your progress as a martial artist; they're interested in getting money so that they can put food on the table. Always keep that in mind. Always question people's motives.

Have a fall back position. If you get into trouble, head to Decheng's, and have the school get in touch with me. Arrangements can always be made on an emergency basis.

Have fun. Keep us posted as to how your journey continues.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

wogboy Guest
    Thanks a lot again.

I've just done some thinking: Obviously I have saved more money than what I mentioned earlier. The sum I mentioned earlier is what I plan on still having when I go to dengfeng, subtracetd by the cost of a new visa and other expenses.

In case I will have more than expected when I go there, could I still come back to your offer for De Chengs school? It's rather unlikely that I can afford to stay there for one month, but who knows...

I'll keep u informed anyway how my adventure goes.

If there's anything I can do for you when I'm there, let me know and I'll see if I can help. That's the least I can offer to return your favour.
    Last edited by wogboy; 03-19-2019 at 09:19 PM.

seems like you have your mind set... currents take us where they flow...

but i always wonder why people don't find a small place with a local teacher. why always the big schools with their curriculum, etc.

what about this guy?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr5vQm_i09I&feature=related"]YouTube- Lu Zijian[/ame]

i mean i don't know about his school/teaching etc in china, but there are people around if you look.

or come to taiwan and i'll introduce you to some people..

:-)

wogboy Guest
    Onespring,

I actually would prefer to find a small place to train. But even though Ive been here for one year I never got to find some place. To tell the truth, I didn't really spend much time looking for one either. I feel stupid now that I didn't.

Not sure how trustworthy the small places in Shaolin are. according to this site its a hit and miss to find one and as I know the Chinese I think it'd be rather a miss, but when I get to Dengfeng I'll certainly have a look around.

YouTube is blocked in China, so I couldn't see the video. they didn't have any videos of this guy on baidu (chinese youtube), but some pics. Haha, he looks awesome. I'll see what I can find on him in the internet.

Taiwan, I would go if I had enough money and time and this not only for MA. I've heard that its a great place, the better version of china.

Thx for your suggestion anyway. Please feel free to share more with me if you can/want.
    Last edited by wogboy; 03-19-2019 at 09:19 PM.

wogboy Guest
    I've read somewhere that many schools would take you also if u have less money than they expect you to pay? Is that true? Does that mean I could also try that at De Chengs when I'm in dengfeng?

Sorry. I know I must be annyoing asking questions all the time. It's just the most difficult thing I've ever had to organize.
    Last edited by wogboy; 03-19-2019 at 09:20 PM.

yeh, dont worry about annoying anyone, im boss of that department

honestly as good as de cheng is he is seemingly never there and i still wouldnt pay that price to train with him, its just not even close to worth it. maybe if it was a nice place to stay with good food. but its not, its a shit hole with shit food and wushu training you can get anywhere from anyone.

doc gave you de chengs prices why dont you talk to lfj send him a pm maybe he could help you with de yang maybe not..its worth a try i guess

if not just go there find a cheap hotel and see about training with those guys day by day or hour by hour or something and go train in the hills or something. thats what id do, go when its somewhat warm, learn as much as you can in a day, and just drill it, drill basics drill the techs they teach etc shaolin style lol

and whats his face there de jian look into him

im far from any kind of expert ive never even been there just sayin
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

wogboy Guest
    First of all, thx heaps again, Maestro.

if not just go there find a cheap hotel and see about training with those guys day by day or hour by hour or something and go train in the hills or something. thats what id do, go when its somewhat warm, learn as much as you can in a day, and just drill it, drill basics drill the techs they teach etc shaolin style lol
    thx for the quite interesting suggestion. Sounds good. If I'd do that, I'd probably stay each week at a different school. In one month that would be 4 schools. It's easier to pick 4 than just 1. But then again, talking about money it would be quite a bit, I guess.

honestly as good as de cheng is he is seemingly never there and i still wouldnt pay that price to train with him, its just not even close to worth it. maybe if it was a nice place to stay with good food. but its not, its a shit hole with shit food and wushu training you can get anywhere from anyone.
    Part of me strongly agrees with you. Most of these schools charge me more for a month than I earned per month in China.

I do believe they are certainly worth the money for somebody who teaches shaolin in the west, even though Ive heard of teachers coming here and leaving dissapointed. But for someone like me having no experience really worth mentioning I believe it's too much money.

Besides the little experience I have in MA (listed in the first post) I have a lot of other "little experiences" in many other sports and that's how I want it, be it for MA as for any sport. Therefore I don't think its worth it paying so much money, especially since it's a lot more wush than anything else.

On the other hand, I don't want to go to a place where I work my ass off for one month but where instructors don't correct me if I'm wrong. I know it would only be the basics but that's where you should be supervised and corrected the most. Therefore I'd rather pay more than less, cause the experience would be much more worth if its quality and professionality is high, even if it is just wushu. Just immagine I'd chose to continue shaolin at home only to find out that everything I got taught in China is full of flaws.

I've just done some more research. "The more I see, the less I know, the more I wanna let it go." Sorry for quoting the red hots but that's exactly how I feel. The more information I gather, the more difficult it becomes and the more I just wanna give up, which is bad.

When I arrived in China almost exactly one year ago I never thought of staying for that long. Half a year teaching plus one month MA is what I thought. Then the rather typical story. Met a girl and decided Id rather spend time and money with her. But I didn't want to abbandon my plans about MA, which where the main reason for coming here, so I decided to stay for another 6 month to earn and save money. I even cancelled my return flight. Here I am now and it would be undescribably dissapointing if I went home without getting the experience I want.

It's probably some of these things where I need to make up my mind by myself, since I'm very indecisive. But still, I really appreciate advise of people who are just more into Chinese MA than I am.

and whats his face there de jian look into him

Shi de Jian is one of the schools on my list I would check out in Dengfeng if I don't make up my mind (which I hopefully do) before I go there.

That's pretty much my list:
    Shi de Cheng obviously
    Shi de Yang
    Chan Wu Gong Fu Academy (reconsidering it)
    Tagou (reconsidering ti as well)
    Shi Heng Fu
    Shi de Jian
    Shaolin Wuseng WenWu
    plus Shi Yan Zhang in Beijing

Any advise on these (by anyone) would be welcomed.

I just did it again I wrote a novel. Sorry for giving you so much to read. I'm probably the most indecisive person on russbo.com.
    yeh, dont worry about annoying anyone, im boss of that department
    If it goes on like that you should fear for your position. lol
    Last edited by wogboy; 03-19-2019 at 09:21 PM.

wogboy Guest
    yea. De jian sounds really good. Apparently he leads a school in Songshan. Does anoyone have any idea on how to find him and/or his school?

Thx
    Last edited by wogboy; 03-19-2019 at 09:21 PM.

nope no idea
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

I wont rekomand it because of earthquakes and i dont want u to take any risk with ur life, suicidal tendencies and i dont want spread risk, but there is wuwei si in Dali which is around 500 rmb a week. And in town, Ma shifu, i like him, teach bagua for a very small price

less risky may be yangshuo in Guangxi, but i dont know any teacher

or kome bodhgaya, i have met a very nice old korean monk (40 years old) who teach yoga and ma on donation basis

Gopal Swami teaches 2 hours yoga for 2 dollars
    Namo Guan Yin Pusa / Dont create suffering / Dont harm animals!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast