• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thank you
    life is a cumquat (Maxwell Smart)

Comment

Doc, the times they are a changing....

I suppose you could look at the cycle of things in general. Shaolin popularity is on its way up, but those who will actually commit to it, well, that won't rise as much. The people willing to go through the tough times, train hard, etc. will also be the ones to sit down, research, etc. Others wait to learn there history until someone tells it to them, or for a TV special. Don't get me wrong, these things are good, however, the one who reads into it and of it will also hear of it. Now, that spike hit in webhits, people read some stuff, said, wow, shaolin is kinda cool, went on there way. Then there will always be this, but there were also some who studied, or are interested, and say, hmm, I'll read this today, that tom. etc..... There were also those who read here and got scared to there wits when they saw some of the funniest picts. on the net...aka Cheye's work. There is such a dynamic, that one can't blame too much on anything. With the likes of many exploiting the shaolin name, it will come to mean more to some, less to others.
      practice wu de

Comment

Quick and Easy - A contradiction in Shaolin

Shaolinstylee pointed out the main reasons for the current situation here.

However, I think the issue goes even deeper than that. People are currently in what I call hunkered-down mode. Everybody is nervous. Additionally, it's not so much the truth which is the problem. I see the "problem" in the fact that you present the truth straightforward (which is a good thing), but people like it wrapped up niceley.

Like stated before, everything Shaolin is currently hot, but you dont have any fancy Chinese symbols, or Names on the site. This is not meant as a critique, but people look for these type of things.

Additionally, people want everything right now. Minimum Effort, Maximum result. While in itself a good concept, it does not combine with Shaolin very well. There is a tremendous effort and dedication involved and people are so used to getting things the easy way.

Look at all the "wonderful" programs to get your diploma, blackbelt or whatever by Video, etc. by mail. People go for these "symbols", and thats where marketing and money takes over substance.

Most people don't want to study a system or a style. They just want to learn how to rip someones head off as fast as possible.

I think we all know a few examples in this area.

I think, once the economy (at least here in the US) picks up a bit, and if people "hopefully" see the reality of a large number of so-called martial arts instructors, they might come to their senses and become interested in the substance.

Until then, we will have to endure it.

Uwe

Comment

It took a while for people to start up again the last time the site was upgraded. I also found the new site hard to find, it wasn't until Doc e-mailed me the Link that I was finally able to get on board.

As for PBS we all know what Richard is like, no matter how he was portrayed. Others will just have to look past the illusion & find out for themselves.

Comment

pbs

dammit i keep hearing about this pbs speacial what the hell is it and when did it show what all did it have in it

Comment

Shaolin Ulysses.... it hasn't been on a lot of PBS channels yet (if at all yet????)
              practice wu de

Comment

Expect it sometime this summer.

The hate mail section shall rule!

lol,
                doc
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                russbo.com

Comment

aww

no no no i mean like what is it about what is it going to show

Comment

Shaolin Ulysses

Xanthic,

Shaolin Ulysses is a documentary about the odyssey of a group of five Shaolin kungfu monks who come as immigrants to America during the 1990s. All were Buddhist monks and kungfu stars at China's famous Shaolin Temple - the birthplace of Zen Buddhism and kungfu - but each has made a pilgrimage to America in search of a different dream. One opens a successful Buddhist temple and kungfu school in Flushing, Queens. Another has married an American woman and now is raising a family in Brooklyn, NY. Two monks landed in Houston, Texas, where they coach young athletes aspiring to the Olympics (where kungfu may be a medal sport in 2008) and brutal self-defense techniques to Texas policemen. And, finally, one of the biggest Shaolin stars is springboarding to Las Vegas, where he sees a perfect opportunity to spread Zen and kungfu in America.

Cheye
                    Don’t take life too serious, as you won’t get out of it alive anyway.

Comment

and plenty of places to "worship" too right?

dave
                      simple and natural is my method,
                      true and sincere is my principle --Tse Sigung

Comment

Yeap with a little help from our " Master Worshipper"...

Comment

The whole idea of the "master worshipper" bringing the monks to "worship" now? Ain't I in enough trouble?

I can see the hate mail section now. lol.
                          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Doc,

The master worshipper was just supposed to be a joke, maybe not one of the best at this time, but basically just a joke.

When you are a website administrator, you’ll always have people who don’t appreciate your work, or hate you for what you are doing. That’s just a common phenomenon at the net. People have different point of views, different opinions and different attitudes! So why not simply going on for those who appreciate your work and who are regularly coming back, to read the news about Shaolin, or are searching for information. You won’t be able to suit everybody in every way, but you do suit all those who are regularly recurring visitors. And I think that you completely reached your goal with this fact!

From what I know, the special hasn’t been shown on PBS yet. Doc, you are talking about it in nearly all of your posts in this thread, which shows that you seem to be very concerned about it. The PBS special will surely have an influence on your image. Some people might be disgusted, some others might hate you (probably even more than before), but there might also be some who want to find out more about “that guy from Las Vegas”. They will find this site, and probably will find out that the man portrayed in the special, isn’t in conformity with the administrator of this site. I think they will see you in a different light again, after they saw your job here. We all know that the media do have a great influence on people’s attitude.
                            Maybe we should just look forward to all those, who want to know more about you and your work, and who might become new members of this site, with new ideas, different opinions and more experiences to share.

Doc, you did a great job so far, we all appreciate it a lot. For God’s sake! Don’t bother about a few individuals who are just not willing to question the so called “facts” in a TV special.

Cheye

Comment

I'm kind of looking forward to the hate mail.

It's pretty entertaining...

russbo.com

Comment

Website

Well said Cheyenne.

Uwe

Comment

Working...
                                X