waxwood staffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waxwood staffs

I've been doing some research into the type of wood used to make waxwood staffs. The info I've been getting and finding is pointing me in the right direction, I think I've found the genus, however, the species is what I eventually need to find. Does anyone know what area of china they usually make these staffs in? Or if you happen to know what type of wood they use (name of the tree, either scientific or common) that would be great.

I'll update as I find more out, thanks for any help in advance...

shaolinstylee
    practice wu de

try looking at martialartsmart i think it said there where they get them in china
    lil monk

Comment

Dunno anthing about the species, in the U.S. the common name they use is "white waxwood" I do know however that I've had a 7' waxwood staff for almost a year now and it's really wonderfully durable and flexible. Even supports my bodyweight quite well for a few drunken staff forms. LOL I'm actually on my way to the park to train with it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but good luck. I'd be interested to read your findings.
      Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

You haven't had problems with your staff warping?
        Amithaba

Comment

Not really. But I treat it with orange oil. That helps alot with any wooden weapons. I also wrapped the ends in medical tape to reduce the risk of breakage.

Comment

My staff (well, more accurately, my staffs), haven't warped in years. I'm more concerned with them drying out in this desert climate and getting less flexible. (They haven't, at least, not yet).
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

Interesting, I have one that is like 2 years old and it has warped significantly. Time for a new one.
              Amithaba

Comment

Where do you live? Is your region fairly damp? Despite the fact that I live in a coastal desert (LA) its so irrigated that I have to oil my staff so it doesnt pick up water from the grass in the park.

Doc, do you train weapons mostly inside or outdoors in a yard? That might have alot to do with it....

Comment

I live in NJ. I have another staff made out of hardwood, older than the waxwood, and that one is straight as an arrow.
                  Amithaba

Comment

I keep them in the house. I also train indoors, when I train, which, lately, hasn't been much. It's not exactly the smartest thing in the world these days, to be training outdoors in a public place with a "weapon", lol.
                    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                    russbo.com

Comment

what type of staff do you guys think would be the best for shaolin drunken staff form thanks
                      lil monk

Comment

Thicker white waxwood staff.
                        practice wu de

Comment

thanks for the info shaolinstylee
                          lil monk

Comment

Working...
                          X