Training in Massachussetts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training in Massachussetts

I stumbled upon your site by luck, and hope you might be able to help me. You probably get this all of the time, as you are clearly an authority on the subject, if i offend you in any way by asking you, I apologize, I just desire to learn kung fu and cannot seem to find an answer.

I am 22 years old and live in Massachusetts. I have been researching traditional Shaolin kung fu, and am working towards a trip to China saving money and learning mandarin, to train with real masters. I have been learning at home from xxxxx's videos online, and have been on an exhausting search for true Shaolin schools here in America.

In my search I have learned that Shaolin here in America is rare, many schools claim to be shaolin but teach none of the true forms. Some are more performing based, instead of self defense and qigong based. usashaolintemple.org shaolin-overseas.org shaolinkungfutrainingcenter.com shaolinca.com shaolinkungfutrainingcenter.com (photos of Shi DeCheng visiting this school) I have found a few that seem legit, out of HUNDREDS of sites i've looked through, these few seem like the only true schools here in America.

My question is, Is there an official Shaolin school here in America? I will travel to China when I have enough money, but for now I need to build a strong foundation, learn all the basics and condition myself so I can handle the true training in China. I have recently quit smoking, and want to learn self defense and self control, I know this will help to better my life, but I am having a very hard time finding where to go.

I live in western Massachusetts, close to Worcester and Hartford. These are the closest schools in my area, although i question the validity of their teachings, regardless they are my closest options. usakungfuacedemy.com wushucenter.com shaolintempleri.com usashaolintemple.com shaolinkungfutrainingcenter.com

I am willing to travel if I can find a real Shaolin monk teaching here, Shi Yan Ming in NYC seems to be my best bet, but he is very popular and has not returned my calls or emails yet, He trains many actors and musicians, I have a feeling I will not be able to afford to learn there, nor live in the city. I am willing to travel there and home, and relocate to be closer to my school. As you can see, I have been searching very hard and haven't gotten very far. I've ended up more confused than ever. I know that Shi DeCheng and Shi DeYang are the best for a foreigner to train with, and my goal is to make it to their schools. For now, Can you reccomend anywhere for me to start? I'd truely appreciate any of your advice. I apologize for taking up your time, thank you very much for reading this. xxxxx xxxxx
    I get it all the time.
    I'm not an authority. But I do have my opinions.
    One of them being, I hope you're not spending money buying videos online.....

I'll leave this for the gang, for now...
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Thank you very much for such a fast reply! I registered on your site to keep in touch with you, and the information you post on here. I understand what you mean by the debate on what true gong fu is, and thank you for your opinion on the schools I have found. I have not spent any money on any videos, only youtube videos for free. I've been wanting to learn so bad i decided to teach myself while i continue my search. I have accepted that if i truly want it, that China is where i need to be, So learning the language is my first step. Thank you for your time. Daniel

Comment

i noticed your question on yahoo answers. i would advise steering clear of that shaolintemple.org site. they are the authors of the book 'shaolin grandmasters text', which is a load of garbage.

i'm surprised abbot yongxin hasnt gone after them for that domain name, especially with their mocking of the shaolin trademark: http://www.shaolintemple.org/essay.h...king%20shaolin

anyway, i dont think there is any live-in shaolin temple you will find here in the usa. you probably want to make your way to china and study full-time with either masters decheng or deyang, if that sort of intense training is what you're after.

btw, there is now a center in central u.s. under the direction of master deyang.

Comment

I'm not quite sure where that guy on that site gets his information.... Pretty preposterous if you ask me.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

thank you for all of your help. Yes that is the type of training I am after, an entirely new lifestyle. I have been working on changing myself to be a better person, and I want to dive deep into kung fu to build a new lifestyle. I am glad i found this site, as I've gotten more useful information in a few hours than I have with months of searching, and asking on Yahoo. DeCheng is my best bet right now, I have been looking into training with him for awhile now, But have been scrambling to find a way to train here in the U.S. I am going to go to China this summer to try DeCheng's school. Thank you for the info on DeYang's school here, I will look into it. But I agree, a more devoted study in China is best for me. It will take money, time, and discipline. But I am happy I am making some progress, and I thank you for your help. It is a shame that the true lifestyle isn't here in America, so many of us, expecially teens from my generation could use such a discipline. If i had done this as I child, I never would have been so lost in high school, or such an angry teenager. It's never too late to start, but I wish i started years ago. I can't wait to start training, I am very excited, and nervous, as I know it will be the best, and hardest experience of my life.

Comment

i was just in springfield mass this weekend for the NAGA tournament but if you want i could show you how the basics and some good conditioning methods for gung fu
            "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Shi De Cheng will be teaching in the Boston MA area sometime this month. I'll PM you the phone number so that you can get more information.

He's also going to be in Alabama for a short while this month, visiting Shi De Ru.

russbo.com

Comment

don't feel too bad. this is one of those things that will leave you more confused the closer you think you are getting to what you want.

Comment

haha I have noticed. I'm still on my search but If i do find anything here, It will be for practice in between trips to Dengfeng, because that seems to be the only place that has what I'm looking for. I've decided to ask foreigners that have been to the schools in China where to go, rather than the schools themselves. Still not getting very far, but I remain determined.

Comment

Good idea. Ignore the websites. And for that matter, don't trust the chinese. And also, don't believe everything you hear from people who have been there; their responses are going to be tempered by their experiences. People may have gone to great schools, but had a miserable time because, well, it's a miserable place. For some.

Read the Shaolin FAQ. Time tested advice. Go and dip your toes in the water for a few weeks. Evaluate it as you experience it. Don't research too much, you'll get nowhere.

russbo.com

Comment

yea hes right, alot of people go there with assumptions about the place from tv or their own mind i dunno. unfortunately for me im probably the only one on this board to have not gone but ive heard pretty much every side to the shaolin story

in the end, if stepping outside of your comfort zone and working hard and experiencing something different is what you want u should go, id love to be there right now
                      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Thanks again for your advice, you're right about that, the more i search the worse it gets. I had no idea how many people are there training, 500,000+!!! no wonder I'm having a hard time. I agree with what you said, just go give it a shot. I have been saving and I'm going to try to take a trip in September with Chan City if everything works out. Decheng and Deyang seem to be the most well known, I hope to train with both of them as i get further into this. I looked into ShaolinChanCity.com and they seem great, they do immersion events that follow the schedule of training in China, up at 5, train all day.. They do it to prepare for the yearly trips. I haven't seen any schools here in the US that do that.. So that's a green light for me.. So far so good. Le Fujun is a direct student of DeYang and teaches at the school, he has sent me many replies and helped me out as much as possible. He explained to me that if I got involved with them, and took trips to China through a school or with people who have been there before, as a group trip.. not only will I get to where I need to be with little confusion, but I can save a lot of money. Makes sense, If you're in with the right group of people rather than showing up alone asking for training, I can see how it would go a lot smoother. Sucks he's all the way in Missouri, but beggars can't be choosers. I missed his immersion on June 5th due to short notice, plane tickets for next day air are ridiculous. A $200 3 hour flight was around $600! He invited me to another immersion in August, free and open to the public.. all i have to do is get there and train my ass off. I don't mind how difficult this is, because it's not just learning moves, it's a lifestyle. I desire to learn a new way to live my life.. I have muay thai and Jui Jitzu schools all over the place here in MA, even in Bridgewater they train UFC fighters, but that couldn't be further away from what I am after. My whole life has been prove how tough you are.. I have some things to unlearn, I want to learn to not fight. I know this is the answer, and if it were easy it wouldn't help me to change. It has to be hard. But someday, I'm opening my own school.. haha TRADITIONAL SHAOLIN FOR FOREIGNERS. LIVE HERE, TRAIN HERE. NO NEED TO SEARCH ANY LONGER! long name i know, but i think it'll catch on haha thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate it more than you know.

Comment

Why go to Missouri (where the hell is Missouri, and did I spell it right...) when you have a student of Decheng, verifiable, no bullshit, right in MA? Scott first went to China with me many years ago on one of my docTours; he's been going back regularly, and has Decheng visit him at least once a year at his school in Boston. You want to learn traditional Shaolin, it's right there.

As for Deyang, he rarely teaches foreigners. In the past, he hardly ever did. Many have been through the school there, many have been disappointed. As I've been there many many times, I can understand why. I certainly am not going to disparage anyone that says that they have trained here or there, but just keep one piece of advice in mind, and I've said this over and over again. Beware of what you read on websites. And personally, a half a million people training in Dengfeng? I was there two years ago; didn't see that many people running around. Tagou, the largest school, may have twenty or thirty thousand kids in it. I have a hard time accepting a half a million....

Look into Boston. Now. Meet Decheng at least. It will make your future trip easier. I already sent you the information. And Decheng should be there, any day now.

Also, going on a group tour can be easier, but not necessary. I've sent many many people to Shaolin over the thirteen years of this website, and with the exception of one, all came back intact.

russbo.com

Comment

I called the other day but didn't get in touch with anyone yet, I will try again tomorrow. It seemed like a crazy number to me as well.. and yes, i got it from a site. http://www.shaolin-wushu.de/en/main_fr.htm?schulen1.htm It has like a guideline for foreigners going to Dengfeng and I came across the large number somewhere on that page.

Comment

yes you are right, i read it wrong. It says 600,000 inhabitants* not students, I'm sorry for the misinterpretation. My brain is full of useless dengfeng information right now, haha..

Comment

Working...
                              X