Training in Massachussetts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so who was the exception doc lol

oh and danny, ill get in contact with you when i can but in the meantime although it isnt what u want to hear, you should look into jiu jitsu and muay thai if they are closer, those are really good styles with alot of culture and tradition and in the end all the respect and discipline is going to come from inside you, not from some bald white guy in boston no offense
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

The exception was very tragic. One day I'll write about it.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
        As for Deyang, he rarely teaches foreigners. In the past, he hardly ever did. Many have been through the school there, many have been disappointed. As I've been there many many times, I can understand why.
        thats not really true, doc. many foreigners have been going to his school for years and study with him and his coaches. he has also recently taken foreign disciples even, and they run an international branch of his school in italy.

and i assume you are talking about the conditions of his school. you should see it now, doc. there are western toilets and showers, brand new a/c units installed, the entire external of the building is painted, cafeteria refloored, etc.. and all of this was possible because of the many foreign students going to study there.

i think you've been out of the loop a little too long.

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
          One day I'll write about it.
          which means forget about it... lol

was that the broken leg one, i seem to remember...?

Comment

Well, I did condition the comment with "in the past". And that's true. And even in the recent past (two to three years ago) when Alex was making his documentary, part of which was filmed at Deyang's school, the discomfort of training at Deyang's was obvious, and was a main part of the documentary. Granted, I don't know what's happening this year, as I have not been there. Family life has a way of changing things on you.

I have been out of the loop. I guess its time to put myself out to pasture.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by LFJ View Post
              which means forget about it... lol

was that the broken leg one, i seem to remember...?
              Different one. And then there was the dead kid one. But the one I'm referring to had to do with a student, whom I had sent to train with Decheng, who had a terrible, terrible outcome. I told the father that I would not discuss it in a manner that would identify this person. Well, years have passed; I guess I can "rewrite" it. Tragic, and highly relevant to the study of martial arts. It's one of those things that I've kept in the back of my head, and did not publish on the site.

There's quite a few of those stories. Tragic, yet important ones. But, the site is not the visited monster it used to be, so I just have not "found the time" to put them together.

russbo.com

Comment

honestly the discomfort of shaolin is something i was looking forward to lol, not like id realy be spending time in my room anyhow. the only thing that would suck would be eating shitty food cause i dont speak mandarin or getting h pylori

and i agree lfj he said hed write about everything and never does and he said hed put up videos of de cheng and tehm doing tai chi and that never happened even though i asked about it repeatedly
                "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I suppose you're right, discomfort would be part of it.. If it was like a nice stay it would feel more like a vacation than a a difficult life changing experience. To think of it, maybe squat toilets are more sanitary than our sit down toilets? Plus, what better way to work on your horse stance than during a dump, haha just kidding. Regardless, I do appreciate all of the advice you have given me, Doc. I don't expect you to know everything that's going on in every school in Dengfeng, especially with Deyang, as you have a relationship with Decheng. I don't even have much of a foundation, so wherever I go i'll have a lot to learn, and I'll benefit from any school.

Comment

I know Deyang very well. I've watched him grow, mature and evolve through some nasty shit over the last fifteen years, some of which has been whitewashed in other forums and martial arts magazines. I just have not seen him in two years, so I don't know what he's been up to.

One thing to take from all of this. Deyang is a completely different person than Decheng. He had different motivations, different ideals, and a different approach to things since I first met him in 1995. Deyang's focus had been more along the lines of politics and survival, and much less on training foreigners. Decheng has focused far more on interacting with foreigners than most of this generation monk. Which is why I direct you to him.

But there is a lot you can learn from watching Deyang, and I do recommend that you try to spend some time at his school also. It will be a different experience than your time with Decheng. Both educational, in their own individual and separate ways.

Now if you'll excuse me, time to head out to the pasture. You guys have everything under control, and the boss is calling me.

russbo.com

Comment

well I can agree with you there without even having met either of them yet. On the show fight quest it is very evident that what you just said is true, although the guy who trained with Deyang had a serious ego, that may have had something to do with Deyang's reaction.. But Deyang seems very deep into the serious aspect of cultivating your spirit, buddhism, and seems more of an intellectual person, very serious person. I also read that Deyang got to where he is not because of his kung fu skills, but by his non stop studying. I don't doubt his skills It's clear he is a master, but he is also a scholar, and doesn't seem very friendly until you earn it. He has been studying his entire life and takes learning very seriously.. Not that Decheng isn't a smart guy thats not what i'm saying, but Decheng seemed very caring, outgoing, and friendly right off the bat.. and also seemed like he truly enjoyed teaching foreigners. With all of the youtube videos i've been watching, I came across one where deyang mentions the 1980's movie shaolin temple by jet li, and how it brought a ton of foreigners to shaolin, I think he believes that most of us don't take it seriously, or don't know what it is truly about.. I've even run into that problem already.. Everyone is like you only want to learn gongfu because of the movies.. To be honest, after getting interested and wanting to change myself and started researching shaolin kung fu, I also filled my netflix list with shaolin kung fu films and have been watching them a lot lately. I can certainly see why It sparked such an interest, But my point is.. I saw all these movies after I became interested.. to cover my own ass haha. He does seem very standoffish as far as americans showing up and wanting to learn.. but again, I don't know much, only from what I've seen. With his new schools opening up he seems a little more open to the idea. Regardless of their personalities being so very different, I could learn a lifetime of knowledge from both of them. But I can certainly agree, Decheng would care a lot more, and would be much more of a friendly person to be around. Deyang got fed up really quick when the guy on fight quest couldn't stretch as far as he wanted, Decheng made his guy do horse stance until he fell over.. but didn't get mad when he did.. prime example. Not to say training with Decheng will be easy, but i think he understand the limits of someone new and alien to it all, than Deyang. It's all the way or nothing for him.. So that is certainly intimidating. I believe they are both great caring fantastic people, But Decheng is certainly more open to foreigners from what i have seen. I think it would take proving to Deyang that your not there because of kung fu movies for him to open up, and he teaches on a larger scale than Decheng from what i've seen as well.. So that family atmosphere might not exist in his school, I wont know until I know.. But i've been researching my ass off, haha. I dont think you need to be put out to pasture just yet! Hope you enjoy your weekend Doc!

Comment

If you haven't seen the show check it out. It's not all that impressive, two guys go to china and learn kung fu in 5 days, then do a Sanda match to show what they've learned. So it doesn't speak true to the dedication and true training involved, but it does touch on just about everything, and it makes a good comparison of both Decheng and Deyang. You probably have seen it, But watching it makes me like Decheng ten times more than I already do. He just seems like a really cool guy to have the pleasure of knowing. You can tell how much he likes to teach.

Comment

I've seen the show.

In fact, I set it up. Discovery Channel contacted me to help them with that one show. I flew to China and organized it. Picked the characters, set up the locations, help organize what was to be done. The overall tempo of doing some gong fu things, and ending with a fight, was their idea. I personally didn't agree with that aspect, but that's how the show is organized. I don't watch them.

It was supposed to have been, up to that time, their best show, as they told me later.

But, two things. It does show Deyang as Deyang can be, and it does show DeCheng as Decheng is. And don't be fooled by Decheng's persona in that; he's a walking encyclopedia of Shaolin gong fu. More so than most people. Deyang is more of a Buddhist scholar, far more than Decheng is. But then again, Deyang's life was more intricately involved in Shaollin politics than Decheng's was. Deyang also has a "warm fuzzy" side that he doesn't make obvious to people very often. As I said before, they are two very different people. You'll learn different things from each.

PS: I fixed your post. Using the "advanced" post editor, you can embed videos.

russbo.com

Comment

That makes perfect sense. Haha and sorry, I didn't know you had involvement in the show, I should have known. I meant the fact that they only spent 5 days and expected to gain something from it, and how the show ended with a sanda fight wasn't impressive to me. I too disagree with that aspect, I enjoyed the show because it gave me a good look at both teachers. It makes sense what you are saying, what you grow up involved in more than likely will become the rest of your life. Also, someone needs to be involved in politics in Shaolin, I don't know the whole story of the government involvement, but I know some, of which is very sad. Also, I never doubted Decheng's knowledge of gongfu for a second, I have seen some his youtube videos demonstrating techniques and he certainly is a master as well. I contacted Scott about training with Decheng, I am hoping to hear back from him soon, I don't want to miss an opportunity to train with him. Thank you for fixing my video too, I'm not very computer savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyB784 View Post
                              I don't know the whole story of the government involvement, but I know some, of which is very sad.
                              There's a whitewashed version of Deyang's history on the internet, and then there's the dark dirty and real version, which you can dig up here in the site. He has an interesting story; I watched him evolve over the years as he dealt with it. He's come a long way; a very impressive individual.

russbo.com

Comment

i actually had a good laugh at the fight quest show.

i thought the editors did a great job creating such a sharp contrast between the two masters. obviously master deyang doesnt speak english and takes training very seriously, and wants shaolin to be understood as a chan monastery, not a simple martial arts school. but i didnt feel it was exactly an accurate portrayal of him as a person.

he has said he always took martial arts as a hobby rather than a job. he simply loves martial arts, like anyone. and i believe it was also in part because of the shaolin temple movie that eventually got him there as well. but in order to learn well you have to be absolutely serious about it.

aside from training time he is always smiling and extremely generous. but i liked how they always kept his serious face on camera, along with that awkward silence part where jimmy was speaking english to him. it made him seem distant and even more strict than he actually is, like you'd be afraid to be in the same room with him. but thats not how he is in the slightest. he just takes training seriously and expects you to do the same if you go there for it.

it was also obvious that jimmy wasnt very interested or respectful toward the shaolin culture and was not even trying to stretch or learn the staff movements correctly. he was just there to get to the fight, not to learn something from the experience like doug. he was just there for the "fight quest". so there was a contrast between both the masters and the students. a very good cast and edited show, made it entertaining.

Comment

Working...
                                X