Shi Yan Zi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shi Yan Zi?

Hi, ive noticed through out the forums theres been a few photos of of Shifu Shi Yan Zi posted here and there. I was wondering if someone could post any images they have in this thread for me

Would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jay

I've got most of my pictures from here:

I'm not sure there's that many more aside from the ones above...
    Attached Files

Comment

shi yan zi problem

Hi, I heard about the fact shi yan zi was not a true shaolin monk because he would have been train by a faulse monk (the abbot of the temple) and so on...is it true?
      martial way is mine, death one is yours
      call me last bodyguard of the lohan chuan, call me the one who will bring wu de to occident, call me, the one

Comment

This should be good.... Sucking the abbot into this discussion. LOL.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

new item for the doc store...

...you should stock up on some shit slingers and shit blocking umbrellas...

Yong Xin a false monk? Now that's a new one...I mean, tons of people aren't too fond of his leadership, that's obvious....but I never heard anyone say that he was never ordained.

So if he was ordained, and nobody revoked or expelled him, maybe he is not that great of a monk, but technically he's still a monk. Just like every priest you know might not be a saint.

Now you might also be getting confused because many of the monks have decided that becoming Yong Xin's disciples was in their best interest, so they have him as their 'master,' but this is simply a technical distinction. Yong Xin doesn't actually teach them gong fu...they all have other masters...I don't know much about Yan Zi but I sincerely doubt that just because Yong Xin is creating a three ring financial circus, that all the babies get tossed out with the bubble bath.
          "Arhat, I am your father..."
          -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Lol. Well Yongxin is Yanzi's Buddhist master. Although I can't imagine in any way that Yongxin's his gong fu master, lol. Still have to find out who actually trained Yanzi in Shaolin. Though he seems to be highly unpolitical - never heard any mention from him on Shaolin politics. He doesn't seem to hold the same allegiances as Yongxin - for example he seems to get on very well with people Yongxin chooses to excommunicate, such as Shi Yan Ming. So as for his exact relationship with Yongxin, I have no idea...

Comment

now that's interesting...

Originally posted by Lipster
              Lol. Well Yongxin is Yanzi's Buddhist master. Although I can't imagine in any way that Yongxin's his gong fu master, lol. Still have to find out who actually trained Yanzi in Shaolin. Though he seems to be highly unpolitical - never heard any mention from him on Shaolin politics. He doesn't seem to hold the same allegiances as Yongxin - for example he seems to get on very well with people Yongxin chooses to excommunicate, such as Shi Yan Ming. So as for his exact relationship with Yongxin, I have no idea...

Something I hadn't thought of- I made the assumption that YX would be their new martial master, which is hilarious, but the Ch'an master makes things more interesting...that adds a totally different angle, as many of the wu seng probably don't have Ch'an masters...

I would imagine for most this is simply a political thing as Lip says above and isn't something people dwell on...I showed a pic of DeMasco at Shaolin, with monks in attendance, and some of the people in the picture SYM would say their name, then sadly shake his head...he openly laughed at the certificate they are offering their students at their testings which contains a glaring error any "Shaolin Grandmaster" should immediately see- and I ain't gonna tell what it is, let those buffoons hang themselves- anyway he simply shrugged, would say how nice some of the people are, tell a little story about them, and then how bad it is that they are in the situation they are in- often he indicated how many of the monks that were there had to do this stuff- he would shrug and say "politics."
              "Arhat, I am your father..."
              -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Yongxin was involved in Shaolin gong fu during his heyday. I've seen pictures of a very young Yongxin on the covers of some Shaolin gong fu books that I discovered. I don't know how good he was (probably, as good as the others during his time), but, it is clear to me that he has had a significant amount of gong fu training in the past. I do not know who his master is, though I would probably guess Suxi was involved there somehow.

Yongxin has gone through great expense with the preparation of Suxi's pagoda in the pagoda forest. It is quite the monument, work is still being done on it.

What's truly going to be interesting, however, in my opinion, is when Suxi dies. The political turmoil that might ensue is going to be fascinating.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

"What's truly going to be interesting, however, in my opinion, is when Suxi dies. The political turmoil that might ensue is going to be fascinating."

I was thinking along the same lines as well. Especially being that Suxi carries the tie between the older and the younger monks especially in the martial sense.
                  practice wu de

Comment

Anyone who questions Yanzi's authenticity should have their head examined! LOL

Comment

I don't think that Yongxin "trained" Yanzi. I remember Yanzi from years ago, when he was a pup. Yongxin was not a figure back then, not sure where he was. Remember, lots of people are Yongxin's disciples now...

russbo.com

Comment

I'd bet my last dollar YongXin didn't "train"Yanzi. At least Gong Fu wise. I'd be interested to know who he trained under martially. I'd bet these guys were training under several people, for different things at that time in the temple.
                        Yanzi does stress the combination of Ch'an and Gong Fu, so he probably did get tutelage in the Ch'an department from YongXin, or another Buddhist master.

Comment

Shall I stir the pot up a bit. YanZi is Shi Yong Xin's disciple no doubt. I heard a rumour that Shi YanZi is no longer a monk, though. The story was he was thrown out of Shaolin Temple for GBH, he owed alot of money to store owners for un paid goods, they was a fray and he went and hid in Shaolin temple. After that he returned to his home town, before being sent to the U.K.

Andrew

Comment

Well, this oughta be good.. Stir the pot? You just put an egg beater into the pot!! I'd love to know where you heard that from. If you've ever seen Yanzi, you'd know he doesn't need to hide from anyone, much less a bunch of store owners (and trust me, I've seen all the storeowners around Shaolin Temple, and I wouldn't even hide from them). From what I understand, he and YongXin are on very good terms, and I spent time with YongXin personally in his chambers at Songshan Shaolin temple, and he had nothing but good things to say about Yanzi (after I told him he was my Shifu in the UK) and YongXin actually told me I was welcome to come back to the temple and train longer, if I so desired. So, if that's the case, YongXin seemed very proud of Yanzi when I spoke to him.

What is GBH anyway? Who SENT him to the UK?

I find that really hard to believe!....... Anyone else care to comment??

Doc??.... I'm waiting to hear your comments on this one!!!
                            Last edited by Hei Hu; 10-19-2003, 08:48 PM.

Comment

I'm not so sure that Yongxin trained Yanzi in gong fu. I kind of doubt it. I remember Yanzi from years ago, when he was a younger buck, back in 95. (I was a younger buck too, if you can imagine that...) Yongxin was also a younger buck. Hey, we were all younger bucks... Yongxin was out spending some time at the Beijing Buddhist college, though I'm not sure exactly when.

As for being in good "current" status with Yongxin as a school, remember two things. Yongxin sent Yanzi to London. (Yongxin didn't send any of the other guys, and look at their "status" with the temple). And, from my experience and perception, money is an "issue" when it comes to "accreditation".

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X