Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspending a Gold Coin (XIUAN JIN QIAN) 72 Arts of Shaolin

Hi doc,

I found your website today and I saw a post you made about shaolin 72 arts. This one:

I have a copy of this book and I want to start with the excercise:

Suspending a Gold Coin (XIUAN JIN QIAN)

However I am not sure if I understand it correctly. I hope you can help me with some questions about this excercise:

- How big should the coin be?
    - How thick should the string be?
    - What does it mean to push away the coin? Is it forward/back or left/right?

Thanks for reading I hope you know the answers.

Greetings,
    xxxx
    I don't know.

But one would assume that it would depend upon the type of coin used at the time. A good website to learn about old Chinese currency, and what was used during what years, is here:

As for the string, and which way it swings, the only time I was concerned about these things was back when I was dating. One had to be careful in Thailand.

I have a curiosity, and a suspicion, about any and all of this stuff however. I will reiterate what I said way back then:

For the almost two years that I've spent at Shaolin, and all the other time I've had monks with me at my house, quite frankly I've never heard anyone discuss this seventy two art stuff. I've seen some of it, buried in various places in the Ji Ben Gong and forms training. But taught, as one might think something famous like this would be taught as in a curriculum, well, you just don't see it. Again, Shaolin "traditions" not exactly being clearly identified and taught at Shaolin.
    I never get too overwhelmed by these sorts of details, especially when you're dealing with stuff that is not well documented, stuff that is passed downward via tradition and oral history, and especially stuff that comes out of China. Consider that part of my jaded and cynical self. But whenever I deal with these sorts of "traditions" and "concepts" and "training maneuvers", I always keep the old "smoke and mirrors" idea floating around in the background.

I never saw this hanging coin training, nor have I ever heard it mentioned. That's not to say that it never happened. I just never saw it.

Maybe there are some other members out there that have more experiences with it. This should be interesting....
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

i got my copy here and i dont see it, what is the goal of the exercise?
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

No idea. I thought this question was a bit out of the ordinary (ie, someone just ****ing with me), but with the usual diligence and respect, I answered it. It's a good question, not because it's a good question, , but because it raises the point about the use of ancient Chinese currency, something that we've never approached here before. And a good history lesson.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I sent this question, thanks for your reply doc, but I still dont feel I know enough about it to perform it now. The question that really matters is the last one...

The exercise is in section 1.8:

1.8 Base Excercises which Form the Ground for Improvements in 72 Arts.

1.8.1 Suspending a Gold Coin (XIUN JIN QIAN).

The main purport of the exercise "Suspending a Gold Coin" is intensification of hearing and vision to develop protective reactions in case of a sudden attack of the enemy. An old copper coin with a hole can be used in the exercise: hang it on a string to a beam at the brow level. Stand close to the coin and push it to swing from your eyes. When the coin returns and reaches your eyelid, try not to wink. After attaining this you can train GONG FU with the coin being behind your back and you hearing the sound of its movement. After training for a long time the skill will spontaneously reveal itself: if you suddenly come upon a complicated situation in an encounter, you will instinctively act in accordance with circumstances and if there is unsurpassed coordination (of eyes and arms), you can not help but win.
        The way I understand the text it can be either forward/back, left/right or even in any random direction.

Comment

na, what its saying is when it comes to the eyes it will help you from shutting your eyes when someone attacks you. so side to side wouldnt be of any use, back and forth would be good but really it sounds like a waste of time considering you can spar lightly even and get the same results and your also getting experience sparring

atleast thats what i can tell, as for the hearing bit i think its kind of stupid but i usually have an ipod in my ear 90% of the time

Comment

Doc, how do u know u dont know? Ni zenme zhidao ni bu zhidao?

As for coins, fawangjing, bramajala sutra, precepts fo chinese bodisatvas i have posted somewhere here, is quite communist, not allowing selling or buying of animals (fawangjing, pusa bu neng mai rou sounds french: women in jean, pusa kant buy/sell flesh) or prostitution, speaking against business frauds and so on... So it might b linked 2 tat.

Dana, donatio, is also traditionali pusa first paramita, to b prakticed in emptiness of independant existence (shunyata). I reckong the donatio stands i ve held in China with indian gifts after my ordinatio were more genrous than in Europe. And still many monks kindly freely offer teaching. Shi Fengfa, my shao brother in Guangxiao si, even gave mi 200 rmb b4 i went India and often offer food.

Chinese communist traditio might b linked to Mozi somehow. I ve ever read he used to have a kind of paramilitary orga, trained to help little states in kase of attacks.

Do anyone have info on tat?

Peace and love

Comment

It's utter bullshit. Again, more nonsense from the traditional Chinese martial arts world. And, I might mention, ignorance. How many times have I seen that...

Stand close to the coin and push it to swing from your eyes. When the coin returns and reaches your eyelid, try not to wink.
              First, the blink reflex, to protect the eye, is one of the strongest reflexes in the human body. It's a tough one to suppress, and with good reason. The eyelid closes to protect the eye from trauma, and from dryness. There is a small piece of cartilage in the eyelid, called the tarsus, which offers some protection. Granted, not a lot, but it offers some sort of cover for the delicate front part of the eye.

Now, swinging a coin, regardless of how heavy it is, on a string, directly in line with your eye, is stupid. Period. A coin may not weigh much, but given the forces available when that coin swings (accelerates in an arc), if it strikes the eye, damage can and probably will occur. If the eyelid is open, damage is highly likely. Trauma, ranging from corneal abrasions, lacerations and contusions, to internal lens dislocation, retinal tears, and with enough force, rupture of the globe itself, all are possible.

After attaining this you can train GONG FU with the coin being behind your back and you hearing the sound of its movement.
              These sorts of exercises don't improve one's hearing. But I will say that people who lose one sense sometimes experience an increase in another sense ability; blind people sometimes develop what they report as increased hearing sensitivity, given the fact that they tend to rely more upon their hearing when blind, than when they did before the loss of sight.

I would be very suspicious as to much of what is written in these books. They tend to be written by uneducated people who harangue upon unproven and unscientific oral nonsensical traditions.
              Attached Files

russbo.com

Comment

yea its a dumb exercise..why would you want to do that if you dont even understand it lolo.

anyway, docs right, alot of it is unscientific, trial and error maybe..but not the best methods you could look for. you gotta understand, alot of that stuff in the book really is dated, there are better ways of doing things. some of the exercises like the iron skills can be found all over not just chinese martial arts, so consider that.

its still a cool book with interesting ideas of how you might want to build yourself up as a fighter, after you train for so long you get to a point where you want to train certain skills and techniques to develope yourself into the kind of fighter you want, and that offers good ideas i suppose but its really not a good place to look for training on gung fu or anything its a fun little read

Comment

The quality and quantity of work produced here are absolutely informative. Thanks for sharing. 사설 놀이터추천

Comment

It’s actually a nice and helpful piece of info. I’m happy that you shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this.Thank's for sharing.

Here is My Homepage: sabong online game

Comment

Working...
                    X