Need help choosing a shaolin school in China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help choosing a shaolin school in China

Im currently arranging a trip to study in china and i have the opportunity to go to either the Shaolin Epo school, or the Tagou school. As far as i understand the tagou scool has about 50000 people there and the Epo school has about 3000-5000 or some figure close to that. I understand that Tagou is the biggest school and supposedly the best to go to, but it seems a little overwhelming with such a large number of people. Has anyone been to the Epo school or Tagou school and could give me some advice on which one to go to?

Thanks
    MCCCON

i wouldnt go to either. u should wait for doc to reply or contact him directly. also i have the contact for shi de yangs school(one of his disciples "jackie") if you need his info ask me, your better off...much better off training with him/his instructors or shi de cheng
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Yeah thanks for the suggestion, the one problem is that its only a 2 week trip to shaolin and then im going off to Wudang for a while to train and i only have the two options to go to, if you have any info on why these schools suck and preferably which one sucks a little less, id be most appreciative

Comment

oic, then i doubt it matters if its only for 2 weeks, but i wouldnt know, theres alot of info about the tagou school i know that the other i havent heard of, search the site in the shaolin sections you can find alot the search function is shit though
        "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Fifty thousand or five, does it matter? Both are good choices, and if history continues as it has in the past, more than likely you'll be assigned to the foreigner group, which will be made up of other non-domestic students. And those groups (used to be) either small, or private one on one affairs. So I don't think it matters; regardless of which you go to, you'll be subject to the vagaries of getting either good, bad or acceptable teacher, and the whole trip will be an experience.

I generally do not direct people to these schools, having had better luck sending them to DeCheng's school, where they were guaranteed to get more personalized instruction, and far less of a zoo atmosphere. Yes, a few thousand Chinese kids doing gong fu in the fields every day can be a bit overwhelming, and, even more so, distracting. I tended to like the more quieter, personalized approach as opposed to the industrialized one. But I've known people who have spent a year or more at Tagou, and have enjoyed it. (I had always questioned their sanity, but, if they were happy, we're all happy...).

The only thing that I would suggest is a perusal of the Shaolin FAQ part of the website. You'll find some information in there that might be helpful. Keep an open mind, keep your expectations low, and enjoy the experience for what it is. Just don't go back twenty times like I did. There are nicer places on earth to experience.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

Working...
          X