Hepatitis E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hepatitis E

Hepatitis E virus (HEV), the causative agent of hepatitis E, belongs to the family Hepeviridae. At least four major genotypes of HEV have been recognized: genotypes 1 and 2 are restricted to humans and associated with epidemics in developing countries, whereas genotypes 3 and 4 are zoonotic and infect humans and several other animals in both developing and industrialized countries. Besides humans, strains of HEV have been genetically identified from swine, chickens, sika deer, mongeese, and rabbits. The genome of HEV consists of three open reading frames (ORFs): ORF1 codes for nonstructural proteins, ORF2 codes for capsid protein, and ORF3 codes for a small multifunctional protein. The ORF2 and ORF3 proteins are translated from a single bicistronic mRNA and overlap each other but neither overlaps ORF1. The recent determination of the 3D crystal structure of the HEV capsid protein should facilitate the development of vaccines and antivirals. The identification and characterization of animal strains of HEV from pigs and chickens and the demonstrated ability of cross-species infection by swine HEV raise public health concerns for zoonosis. Accumulating evidence indicated that hepatitis E is a zoonotic disease and pigs and more likely other animal species are reservoirs for HEV. This article provides an overview of the recent advances in hepatitis E and its causative agent, including nomenclature and genomic organization, gene expression and functions, 3D structure of the virions, changing perspectives on higher mortality during pregnancy and chronic hepatitis E, animal reservoirs, zoonotic risk, food safety, and novel animal models.
    Article is being worked on, it will be posted in the main site, Shaolin FAQ, Health FAQ section.

It's important for those who decide to travel to Asia, as it is becoming a more and more prevalent infection in Asian countries.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Doc you might want to consider making these ones sticky, so it does not goes under with other info.

BTW The website works great now. Good Job.

Comment

Uwe, the web site continues to give me headaches. The last few months have been nuts, with the server putting out up to 120 gigabytes of information from the various parts of russbo.com, each month, for the past few months. That's a lot of downloaded pages. I have no idea what's been going on, but we had to move to a new server, clean up a bunch of code, and then, I had to upgrade everything to keep it from getting hacked. It is sometimes difficult to get into the site because of the demands made on the server request wise. Which means, lots of people using, but for some reason, no one posts in the forums. The main site, the video site, and the forum gets the most activity. I'm not really sure what to do for the future, other than upgrade the server package so that it keeps up with the demand.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I know where you are coming from. Less and less posting...

Comment

People drift away from these "specialty" forums, and tend to use Facebook. Which, I can't seem to get my wife away from.... Can't do anything about it. I basically keep the site going as a reference aid for people interested in Shaolin; the community that we had seems to have moved on to bigger and better things.

russbo.com

Comment

Yep. The facebook comment applies to my wife as well...

Comment

facebook sucks

and shaolin will be big in the next few years, espcially in the U.S. mark my words.

personally i could give a damn about yong xin and the politics, i was always more interested in the buddhism, the gung fu and the history of shaolin.

aswell as making it suitable for modern peeps, which is difficult cause u either get the cool people who really like gung fu and practice it for what it is or u get the tools who wanna wear the robe and be all peace love and amitoufo shit, no offense honestly but some people just live in a fantasy and could careless about what shaolin is really about

anyway this site must live on!! lol, its a treasure of the martial arts community imo, and shaolin will always have its place there..for sure.
              "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I'm not sure why this site must live on, but regardless, the article on Hepatitis E is up on the main site.

Basically, watch what you drink while traveling, and beware of pigs.

russbo.com

Comment

Some interesting tidbits about Hepatitis E in China:

August 23, 2010 — A recombinant bacterial hepatitis E virus (HEV) vaccine has been found to be safe and effective in preventing HEV infection in healthy adults in the general population in China, according to a new study published online today in The Lancet.

"[HEV] is a major cause of sporadic and epidemic hepatitis. Seroprevalence data suggest that a third of the world's population has been infected with the virus," write Feng-Cai Zhu, MSc, from Jiangsu Provincial Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Nanjing, China, and colleagues. "Although most cases are in developing countries, [HEV] is no longer rare and it might be the most common type of acute viral hepatitis in industrialized countries."

According to the article, HEV is clinically indistinguishable from other types of acute viral hepatitis but tends to be self-limited and does not usually become chronic. Infection with HEV is more severe, with a mortality rate ranging from 5% to 25%, in the elderly and in pregnant women. Pregnant women who survive HEV infection also have high rates of spontaneous abortion and stillbirth. Patients with chronic liver disease who become infected with HEV have poor outcomes, and every year, 13,000 to 26,000 HEV-related deaths occur in industrialized countries.

russbo.com

Comment

DoK i support u

I agree with u maestro xaolin is a strange ottonomi, i put u 10/20 on text!

Guten tag uwe, wie geitz? Haben sie kan NyxadelpheumeniDAnimalYAskaTA?

µµµµµ

Dionusos musto§

20 milliards e=900000komandoVeganaikijuDOluttegrekoromaine(qinn a?)+logtf()=>armeefrancaisevienstefairejugerporxer iefranzoichwermachtnaughtwasthere
                    Gracias por lyinvi§ Hey§ tery§ nadia§Try this one with YOUr most wikedki. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOm AllenDE Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenza Gur Pema Krsna Yajna kurukulla mudra
                    i had that yesterday at miaaritze handihortza hitz egin nage mantra zen appeared a frelon
                    werent and why people were skared for this no god sign? witx hurt them?

Comment

Liu, have you taken your medication lately? We're getting worried about you.

russbo.com

Comment

20 milliards e=900000komandoVeganaikijuDOluttegrekoromaine(qinn a?)+logtf()=>armeefrancaisevienstefairejugerporxer iefranzoichwermachtnaughtwasthere

Comment

I guess not.

russbo.com

Comment

hey so, when u say beware of pigs how am i to know about pork, like for instance chinese sausage is great and i love it, is that something is should worry about?

and if its slow cooked in boiling water shouldnt that eliminate the risk aswell as chicken?
                            "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Working...
                            X