Cell phone use and brain tumors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell phone use and brain tumors

The most recent studies documented by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) shows a correlation between the use of cell phones and gliomas (a type of brain cancer, one that you don't want to get). Highlights of the study are as follows:

Human exposure to RF-EMF (frequency range, 30 kHz to 300 GHz) can occur from a wide range of personal devices and occupational sources. In particular, when a cell phone is held close to the ear to make a voice call, the result can be high specific RF energy absorption-rate values in the brain, note the authors. The specific absorption rate depends on a number of factors, including the design, the position of the phone and its antenna in relation to the head, how the phone is held, the anatomy of the head, and the quality of the link between the base station and the phone.

Of particular concern is the use of these devices by children, in whom the average RF energy deposition in the brain is twice as high as in adults; in the bone marrow of the skull, it is up to 10 times as high.

The epidemiologic evidence for an association between RF-EMF and cancer is derived from cohort, case–control, and time-trend studies; wireless (cell and cordless) telephones are the most extensively studied exposure source. The conclusion that RF-EMF is possibly carcinogenic to humans was based on the results from several studies that examined the relation between cell phone use and malignant tumors.

The INTERPHONE study (Int J Epidemiol. 2010;39:675-694), a multicenter case–control study — the largest investigation of its kind to date — found that using a cell phone appeared to slightly lower the risk of developing a glioma, compared with never using one. But when the highest 10% of cell phone users in terms of call time were analyzed, this subgroup had a 40% increased risk for glioma, compared with those who had never used a cell phone.

The results suggest that there is an increased risk for ipsilateral tumors (those on the same side of the brain as cell phone exposure) and for tumors in the temporal lobe, where RF exposure is highest.

Associations between glioma and cumulative specific energy absorbed at the tumor location were examined in the INTERPHONE study in a subset of 553 patients for whom estimated RF doses were available. For those who used a cell phone for 7 years or more before diagnosis, the odds ratio for developing a glioma rose with increasing RF exposure. Conversely, for those who used a cell phone for less than 7 years prior to diagnosis, there was no association with RF exposure.

The working group also evaluated a pooled analysis of Swedish studies (Int J Oncol. 2011;38:1465-1474), which examined the association between cell and cordless phone use and glioma, acoustic neuroma, and meningioma. For people who had used a cell phone for more than 1 year, the risk for gliomas was 1.3 times higher (30%) than that in people who had never used a cell phone.

This risk increased as time since first use increased, and with total call time. After more than 2000 hours of use, the risk was 3.2 times as high, and ipsilateral use of the cell phone was associated with more risk. Similar findings were observed for cordless phones. Lancet Oncology
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

great article..will pass it on to my sister who never gets off her phone....

only problem is what happened to the "whats new" button? i only found this thread because im about to post one on scarlet fever, did u remove it or did that get sucked into the abyss with the server change?
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I took it off.

I'll put it back on again. (The other option is the upper right hand corner of the forum page, shows you how many new posts since your last visit. It's clickable, even though it does not appear to be a hyperlink)

In the second line of the nav bar, there's a thing that should say "Maestro's Links". That drops down, and has other options for searching for recent posts, by the previous weeks.

What's new is back on again.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

I agree with this research it really causes such a cancer but i have an question.when cell phone are not good for human health then have they been invented why?

Comment

Originally posted by mark.1 View Post
          I agree with this research it really causes such a cancer but i have an question.when cell phone are not good for human health then have they been invented why?
          There are plenty of things we use in daily life that will cause problems, cell phones are probably on the lower end of many other far more harmful things.
          "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Thanks for sharing such amazing post mate, I think cell phone is major cause of physical disorder. There are lots of problems that spread due to use of cell phone. We should motivated and be care full while using it.

Comment

Working...
            X