Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Temple in Japan

Hi Guys
    My search for a Shaolin Temple in China is taking me nowhere. I am wondering if any of you know any Temples in Japan where I could live and study for a year.

Thanks.

There are lots of training opportunities in Japan, one of my good friends and teachers (when I was training in Seidokan) learned over there. But don't expect to see much genuine traditional Shaolin gong fu; you're going to find karate, kendo, and seidokan, among others, which is significantly different.

Plus, Japan is far more expensive than China. Though, the girls are much, much more cuter. And whackier.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Thanks doc.
      Yeah, I could not find any Shaolin, but found a few places for Aikido. The actual martial art is not that important to me. As long as I can learn something useful, I'm happy. I've found a place that actually costs similar to the shaolin schools in China: http://www13.big.or.jp/~aikikai/e_annai.html.
      Since I live in Japan, I'm thinking of maybe checking it out for a week or so.
      What do you think? Are there any other schools you recommend?

Comment

No idea in Japan, but damn, if you're in Japan, why not take advantage of the excellent cultural and martial arts opportunities right in your neighborhood????

But, you know, you really should spend a few months in China. The contrast to Japan will really be worth your while; and it will be an educational experience, regardless of where you train. You should pick a school which is near Shaolin temple though; no sense going to some out of the way place in China to learn Shaolin arts. What you'll get in other parts of the country may be real Shaolin, then again, it may be just the standard wushu that everyone seems to be learning in that country. Which is why I usually send people to Decheng's or Deyang's. Well, Decheng focuses more on traditional stuff, Deyang kind of went towards theatrical gong fu after a while. But, if you want to learn Shaolin, go to Shaolin. See the place, experience the culture. A few months is all you'll need; I'd spend the rest of the time in Japan learning aikido or one of the many other wonderful martial arts they have there. I spend some time learning Seidokan, and many years learning kenpo; both good stuff. But my heart is still in Shaolin. Even though I can't stand the place...
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Its not the Shaolin temple but http://ninpo.org/index.html is definitely worth a close look. I can highly recommend it.

Comment

Working...
          X