Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Like watching free Chinese movies or learning Chinese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like watching free Chinese movies or learning Chinese?

In honor of the 2012 year of the Water Dragon, I am very happy to announce the official launch of ZhongwenMovies.com, a Chinese learning website designed specifically for students who love Chinese! If you love Chinese, or if you have a passion for watching Chinese movies, join our online community! It's completely free!

(No, I haven't been living under a rock after all, just trying to get some projects underway.)

Hope you guys like it, and have a great 2012 Spring Festival celebration!

ZhongwenMovies

中文电影正式推出,一個免費並且專為學習中文的教育網站!如果您熱愛中文,又或者你對觀看中國電影有所熱情 ,請加入我們的中文電影社區!龍年到了啊﹗祝福大家2012年新年快樂﹗龍年行大運﹗:-)

中文电影是一個獨特具有中文學習的教育影片網站。我們提供了免費的優質中文節目,並且具有教育意義與認識中 國文化。讓您可以在這邊快樂且有效的學習中文!
    ZhongwenMovies.com

OK, wait a minute here... You guys are streaming fairly current movies on the internet? Aren't there such little issues as, well, copyright infringement? Does "Megaupload" sound familiar?

I know you're above anything illegal, was just wondering how you were getting around these various and sundry legal issues.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

oh doc is the internet police so i must explain. ;-)

actual it is a good question, and i'm sure it will come up often. from my current understanding, according to the digital millennium act and us law, it is illegal to upload and/or host copyrighted materials on your site server etc for public view. but we do not do that. we simply create a link to an external site, which is usually similar to posting youtube videos on facebook. same as documentary sites, lemewatchthis.com, tv-links, etc. etc. those sites that host the content, who have stringent uploading guidelines and safeguards, make users sign an electronic agreement and are held responsibility for acts of infringement. so yeah it's a kind of loophole in the system. in the future there will be other restrictions; of course, laws will change and the site will adapt. though, i don't think laws will necessarily force a site like zhongwenmovies to get blacklisted -- since it's sole purpose is education, not to undermine DMCA provisions. we will not get google affiliation (ironically), nor want it, but ultimately all we do is a quick google search for a chinese movie and utilize the embed code, which the host site provides to everyone.

Disclaimer
      ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

It's called "aiding and abetting copyright infringement". I think you're on thin ice on this one. Especially with the latest thing with Megaupload. That's the beginning. There will be more now.... Watch as this becomes the big issue of the 2010's. Especially if the Feds win against Megaupload, which, after having read the indictment, I have no doubt that they will.

You can call it an educational site, but when you're in a courtroom, nobody cares what you call it. They'll call it what they want to call it. How you identify things does not protect you in a court of law. It's like getting a blowjob in some back room of a strip club; you can call it "tender loving care", but a blowjob is still a blowjob, and it's illegal in a public place when obtained with financial interests involved. Courtrooms are not fun; I've been in them a few times. I never want to go back. You don't know what the word "nasty" means until you've been sitting on the witness stand.

What makes your site a bigger problem, is the fact that you're charging money to facilitate this. Were you doing it with no financial gain, well, it puts a different flavor on it. Making money can then add further implications, like, racketeering, which is a very loosely applied charge which the feds can apply to almost anything in which money gains hands in allegedly illegal activity.

The US definition of copyright infringement is pretty simple, and probably simple for a reason (they make it easier for them to apply in criminal cases)

As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.
        It's the part that says "distributed" that is loose; adding links to a site, and collecting money to do so, is as far as I can tell, "distribution". You have to be careful; keeping your business interests completely and solely in Hong Kong is one thing; having servers or conducting business on US soil, well that opens up a different can of worms.

I've attached the indictment from Megaupload. Read it, it's interesting. It's going to change the way the internet is used in the future.
        Attached Files
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

wowo, I like chinese, without any doubt , watching chinese movies is a good way to leran chinese, by the way, as much as I know, images can help us learn chiese with some interests.

Comment

Doc is right here, because one thing to keep in mind with this type of setup is the fact that money laundering laws and potentially tax evasion laws can be applied also.

Lots of ways to get screwed here.

PS: I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advise.

Comment

Working...
            X