Origin of Dr. Schwenk's Shaolin photo collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin of Dr. Schwenk's Shaolin photo collection

I am currently doing a work project on Shaolin History and researching it. I have noticed this webside has pre 1928 pictures, which are very useful in my work. But I really need to know the source. I read something about them coming from Dr. Schenk, and i would appriciate some information on that if you have. Any other sources or archives on the subject would also be very useful. Thank you.
    They come from Dr Schwenk's personal collection. Where he got them from, I have no idea. It's up to him to disclose that information. But this much I do know; back in 2004 when he first published them on this site, he informed me of the following:

First of all, there not just the 53 photos, there are actually over 300. These sets actually complement each other to provide a complete walk-through from start to finish of the temple before 1928. If you look at the ones I am publishing (as of tonight, the first 15 are up with German and English descriptions as available), you will see even on the first 15 , that there are gaps. These gaps are filled by the other sets.

When I received this set in 1971, it was accompanied by very simple instructions. These were "Preserve these fotos for the future, and make them known when the time is right."

Given the fact that the temple is being extensively renovated and restored to its former glory, in order for some parts to be accepetd to the UNSECO heritage list, I consider this the right time. It is therefore, that I added them to my website.

I don't know who has received the other sets and where they are. I can only hope that the recipients of the other sets, are doing the same thing as I am, because I think it would be a great historical resource.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

I will soon be updating the library again with the complete set because some of them went missing during the server move. In regards to the other sets I have been trrzing to find them for years but no luck so far.

Comment

Uwe, this gentleman had some other questions about your photo collection:

You say there are some descriptions and aditional information about the pictures? Where could I find these?

There is one of these pictures with troops with guns and a horseman, would you happen to know what and who that is?
      My project is based on the changes Shaolin suffered the 20th century and before, as long as i find records. If you have any other information or sources on the subject that would be great.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

My pubs are found here:
        http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/HMAM

Its not meant to make money. I barely break even

Comment

uwe u rock bro, keep up the good work, ill buy that stuff when i get back state side
          "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Glad to hear that you almost break even.

Never even came that close with this web site. Been nothing but an expense, and a way to meet fun and wacky people. Oh, and Maestro too.

russbo.com

Comment

Doc,

by breaking even I do not include the countless hours I spent getting it all together. If I counted that, I am in a rather deeeeeep hole...

Comment

Yes Uwe, fully understand that... But, we all know you don't do it for the money.

These things that we're passionate about. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it.

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
                  Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it.
                  That makes two of us...

Comment

Working...
                  X