Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gong fu school in southwest China?

Hi,
    Is it possible to find a school in the southwest who teaches traditional gong fu? It doesn't have to be Shaolin gong fu. Other gong fu styles are great too. I just want to know if it is possible to find a good english speaking master in the southwest.
    My chinese is bad and I my martial arts background is small. Three years Yang Taijiquan and 8 months Capoeira. But I am in a very good physical shape. I do almost every day sports.
    I like nature, animals and outdoor training. Therefore, I want to learn traditional martial arts in the southwest. In addition, I want to visit all the beautiful landscapes and temples of the southwestern provinces.
    What do you think? Is it possible to find something in the southwest or should I go to De Cheng in Henan province?
    My age: 27. I want to stay at least 3 months in China.

I would go to shaolin and see Decheng. networking and navigating in a foreign country can be annoying and if you want to enjoy your trip might be better to make it easier on yourself
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

OK. I will go to Shaolin(Decheng's school) if I can't find a school in the southwest that has a similar reputation. And I'm sure that I won't find something similar
      I want to travel next year. Which are the best months to train at Decheng's school? I don't want to freeze

Comment

spring or fall i think, ive never been to shaolin though but i think de cheng travels a bit, u might want to try and confirm when he will be there if you want the best experience

Comment

The Yunnan province area is just phenomenal; there are links in the main web site with lots of pictures (China, Southwest China, and Tibet). However, don't expect to find many martial arts schools over there. When I was there last (twelve years ago) I didn't see any. It's a Tibetan type area, predominantly focusing on tourism and not martial arts. You'll find more martial arts school in central, southern and northern / eastern China. Wu Dang Shan is down there towards Yunnan; I don't know the schools over there, but they have some good martial arts in that area. A little tough to get to though.

If I were you, I'd go to the Shaolin area to train for a bit, then, when you're finished, get on a plane and go to Yunnan province. Damn I can't remember the name of the town at the moment. OK, found it, Kunming. Damn my memory is shit. Here's a link: http://www.russbo.com/Southwest-China/kunming.html You can also see photo galleries of some of the other areas down there, follow the site. What I did, and what I would recommend, is that you fly into Kunming on a reliable Chinese airline, like China Air, and then get a taxi; pick a guy that you can deal with for a few days, get a daily rate, and have him drive you up to Da Li, Zhongdian, Li Jiang. When I went, i found a cute female taxi driver, made a deal with her for the week to drive us throughout Yunnan, then she went home and got her husband. Had the whole family for that week. It was a dangerous trip, the drivers are shit, and the roads back then were unbelievably bad, but, it was one of those "trips of a lifetime". You gotta do it.

Also, I'd really recommend that you get on a plane and fly into Tibet. You probably need special permission to do so; contact your nearest Chinese embassy. It's probably too late now, but seeing the Tibetan culture before the Chinese completely wipes it out is definitely worthwhile. Again, pictures are on the main site. Just follow the navigation in the Shaolin Foundations / China link of the menu.

As for time of year, read the Shaolin FAQ area. It has a lot of information about going to China to train.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

I agree absolutely with Doc on this one. Yunnan province is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
              The Yunnan province area is just phenomenal; there are links in the main web site with lots of pictures (China, Southwest China, and Tibet). However, don't expect to find many martial arts schools over there. When I was there last (twelve years ago) I didn't see any. It's a Tibetan type area, predominantly focusing on tourism and not martial arts. You'll find more martial arts school in central, southern and northern / eastern China. Wu Dang Shan is down there towards Yunnan; I don't know the schools over there, but they have some good martial arts in that area. A little tough to get to though.
              Do you know a good school in the South? For example in the province Guangxi.

Is it possible to train in Decheng's school next spring/summer? Or is he abroad?

Comment

Don't know of any schools in the southern part of China, though no doubt there are many, many...

Decheng is usually in his school in Dengfeng in the summers. He usually travels in the spring and the fall months. Winter is not a good time to go there.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Where can I find the current prices of Decheng's school? Does he have a website?
                  Is it possible to learn Decheng's Shaolin Gong Fu outside of China? US or Europe? Because I can't stay forever in China

Comment

tell us where your from maybe someone can direct you to a shaolin teacher in your area, doc should know the rest about de cheng schedule...

Comment

This is his web site in China:

He teaches in various areas of Europe from time to time, usually spring and fall, and occasionally in the US for very short periods. Italy Austria and France were his usual haunts over the past few years; I have not seen him in three years, though I've talked to him from time to time, so I don't have a better idea as to how he's currently spending his time throughout the year.

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Maestro View Post
                        tell us where your from maybe someone can direct you to a shaolin teacher in your area, doc should know the rest about de cheng schedule...
                        Luxembourg(Europe)

Originally posted by doc View Post
                        This is his web site in China:

He teaches in various areas of Europe from time to time, usually spring and fall, and occasionally in the US for very short periods. Italy Austria and France were his usual haunts over the past few years; I have not seen him in three years, though I've talked to him from time to time, so I don't have a better idea as to how he's currently spending his time throughout the year.
                        Is it possible to pay the full amount for training, food and housing in China? Or should I pay a part in advance(bank transfer) before I travel to China?

Comment

Working...
                        X