No announcement yet.

Topic Three: Ego and the Martial Arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a friend of mine just wrote about a similar thing. he's about 21 now, i think. you're not alone.

See, I'm not into all the gossip and talking on matters as if I know what they are. Just theorizing about things without putting quality effort in practice. I'm just going to train hard and read. No preaching or theorizing. It's as if people think they really have ideas, but they never put any effort into thinking and so it's just a cycle where things get old because there's no effort in being better. Of course, incidentally, the moment these people wake up to the fact of thinking, and how much they're thinking, becomes the precise moment they suddenly realize how much bullshit they're really worth.
    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
      Copied from the Discussion Archive
      But what I hate the most is how he never teaches a class, and he always lets kids who don't know what they're supposed to teach instruct a class of thirty. Karate is the same issue.

For a brief email, it really sends quite the dramatic message. And from a fourteen year old, who is just embarking on his/her journey through the martial arts.....
      Were you bored or emotional when you wrote this? I read it twice trying to figure out what was so great about it.

Teachers not teaching class is a hard one. There are teachers who are lazy and hand off teaching to the higher students. Teachers have a legitimate reason for not working with beginners though. Working with beginners will bring the instructors technique level down. He will get as bad and sloppy as the new students if he works with them.

Oh boy......Then there is energy transfer between people. People with no energy will suck the energy out of the teacher. People with bad energy will put the bad energy on the teacher. But you guys don't believe in energy so that reason won't mean anything to you.

Then there is the respect aspect of it. People tend to respect authority because it is never around. Familiarity breeds contempt. If the teacher spends too much time with the students, the students will lose respect for him and treat the teacher like he is one of the students.

You guys are sloppy thinkers. You see one ramification of something and stop thinking, like you figured it all out. You have to examine anything from every angle to see all of the possibilities. If you want to call yourself a kung fu man and mean it anyways.

Originally posted by doc View Post
      Copied from the Discussion Archive
      What I want to know is if their is any such school that actually still follows the rules of Martial Arts.
      Is it possible that instead of there being no more schools that still follow the rules of Martial Arts, that "the rules of martial arts schools" were never anything but a figment of the imagination in a book, story, or movie?

Once you get old, you realize that just about everything is a lie. Everybody lies for millions of different reasons. When you are young, 14, you believe that people tell the truth. A 14 year old cannot conceive of adults knowingly lying in ways that will hurt one person or large numbers of people, just so they can enrich themselves or benefit themselves in some way.

Instead of complimenting the 14 year old on his insight, someone should start teaching him that everyone is a liar, and most of what he knows is a lie. The sooner he starts trying to figure out the truth behind all of those lies, the sooner he will have a more accurate view of the world as it really is.

Comment

A martial arts educator with an under-inflated ego never matters how good their experience is, may hold a difficult time inspiriting others to develop themselves and stick to the delicate path that's the martial artist.

Comment

Many people believe that folks who practice martial arts are egotistical. In martial arts, if you put in a lot of effort and keep becoming better, your ego may grow out of control. There are numerous instances of persons who start believing that they are superior to others as a result of their martial arts education and expertise.

Comment

Working...
          X