Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Shaolin temple historically as a whorehouse....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shaolin temple historically as a whorehouse....?

I got the impression that memories from past lives could be seen. One lama described it this way. It's hard to remember how you felt last week and exactly what you did let alone ten years ago. Can you remember being 7, 5 or even your birth? He reckons that through practice your memories of your current life increase further and eventually your past lives.

I imagine they see it this way. In order for you to follow their way of life you would have to have pretty good karma. You would of probaly of been a buddhist monk of some sort in your past life. One lama describes the number of life times taken to reach enlightenment in each variation of buddhism. 7 life times for theravada, 3 for mayhayana, a whole life with zen (don't remember exactly the values he used) and finally with tibetan dozgen buddhism it can take from 3 to 10 years. I imagine that they feel they can see past lives because obviously they think they are slightly better off karmically then everyone else.

I'm currently reading the 7 worlds of chan from that buddhist website you guys said to look at. The guy doesn't state where he got his information from but it is all quite detailed and interesting. I had no idea how corrupted buddhism had become. I suppose it is only corrupted in some folks eyes (the author). Thankfully the central teaching of the buddha (noble truths) holds everything together.

Anyway. If you have read the essay could you answer me a question? The temples in china were used as whore houses, had slaves and seemed to be filled with some of the least enlightened folk ever, from the way the author describes it. This was after the advent of chan in china too! The more corrupt temples were described as being in the north where people were generally more pollitcally and materially inclined. The shaolin temple, was this temple immune to all this? Did the shaolin temple as become a den of slaves and whores that horded wealth for tax avation?

I get the impression that the author might be slightly biased. Although he gives a good and detailed account with blood and guts n all, he seems to portray certain buddhist practice in a bad light. He seems dead against tantric buddhism and all for Daoism. I havn't read a lot about zen history yet, is daoism generally accepted as being a big part of zen?

It seems like whenever i read about buddhist history, the shaolin temple is never a big part of the picture. Do you think the nationlistic propaganda during the qing dynasty blew the temple all out of proportion (including it's accomplisments and teachings)? One further question, do you think with all this corruption and twisting of buddhist teachings that shaolin may of gone as far off track as the whore houses and tax avation temples?

Gone a bit off topic, hope you don't mind.
    help me, i'm confused

Ming Zhen Shakya is an American woman (lives in Las Vegas, actually). She was the 1st foreigner to be made a Buddhist priest in China since the end of the Cultural Revolution. She is from the 6th patriarch Hui Neng of Baolin Temple, Guangdong. The book "Seventh World of Chan Buddhism" was written as a way to teach Buddhism to recovering drug addicts & alcoholics. A very nice lady.

Keep in mind her target audience, she had to keep them interested. She had to teach them in such a way as they would want to continue. Monks & nuns NOT being such shining pillars of the community! Being able to pick yourself up & become something better, now, in the present, at THIS moment, one day at a time.

As for Shaolin not being a big part of Buddhism, it's true. There are thousands of Buddhist temples across the world, what makes Shaolin so special? It's mentioned only as a starting place for Chan by Bodhidharma. It seems only martial artists are interested in the old place.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I think you pretty much sorted that out.
      help me, i'm confused

Comment

OK, that's nice about the Buddhism and the Shaolin temple thing, but, hey, RJW, what's with the Winnie the Pooh avatar? You going soft on us? And is it the Pooh or another bear? And is he hanging somebody? You guys are just getting into animals far too much; I'm really starting to get worried.

Oh, what about the temple being a whorehouse....
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

What can I say--I'm a bear of very little brain.
          What do you mean going soft? Pooh just hung the last guy that said that!

They didn't tell you about the whorehouse in back?

Comment

They didn't tell me about the whorehouse out back. These people don't tell me everything you know. Sometimes you just gotta find things on your own...
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

WHOREHOUSE? What whorehouse? *looks around excitedly*
              Peace, favor your sword. "In these modern times many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use." Achille Marozzo, 1536 Donald Corey Pillow

Familiarity breeds Contempt

Citizens should not fear their governments; governments should fear their citizens.

There ain't a wrong way to do right or a right way to do wrong! Joe Frazier

Ignorance is Bliss

Comment

Hi! Thanks so much for sharing this useful info at this forum! But finally I got the highest grades for essay in my subjects this semester so far with support from professionals. This https://www.nursingpaper.com/example...iabetes-essay/ writing company provides quality work that gets me a high mark. It is complete, exact, and communicates timely. The coolest writing agency in my experience!

Comment

Another key to successful assignment writing is to seek feedback and support from others. Whether it's a peer review group or a tutor, getting input from others can help you to identify areas of improvement and to fine-tune your work. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask for help if you're struggling with a particular write my assignment for me aspect of the assignment.

Comment

Partnering with these online essay writing services has been like having a guiding light in my academic journey. Their essays provide a clear roadmap for effective writing, proper citation, and thoughtful analysis.​

Comment

Working...
                    X