schools in my area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schools in my area

This site is devoted to the Chun Seh Dau School of Shaolin Kung Fu (also known as kung fu, gong fu, gung fu, chuan fa), the history of the School, the Sifu (instructors)

and

What do you think? I think i'm getting more and more sceptical these days. Just from basic instinct i'd say the first one is a load of rubbish and the second one teaches about 50 forms! In lau gar we had about 7 forms up to black belt; how do you ever learn the applications of 50 forms!! Maybe they're both fine.... Anyone from the UK know of any good schools in leicester?

Leicester seems to be a hive for dodgy martial arts, tagb taekwondo, ganons black belt academy, school of hope and glory, cRapoeira, dodgy hybrid jiu jitsu. I liked the thai boxing but i have grown out of the "i wanna be 'ard phase". I like my joints pain free and brain damage free too.

Thanks
    help me, i'm confused

I think the second site's instructor has a genuine lineage. But I wouldn't know how the classes are run.

Send them an email, I'm sure they would answer your questions. Visit a class. I would be interested to hear how you got on. Only last year I was looking for a school. There are only a handful of good ones out there. What styles are you looking for particularly, if any?

Jon
    "Bye Book!" - Ven. Damo

Comment

Bungle, I have attended lessons in the past, of the first school. Whilst I am no expert on shaolin, I personally have doubts about this school's lineage. HOWEVER, their Kung Fu is good and they have a wonderful group of people. I myself am not a resident near Leicester so I'm afraid I can't point out any other clubs for you.
      Sometimes you've got to go down to a club/school and find out for yourself. A web site can only portray so much.

P
      Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.

Comment

thanks for the replies. I was thinking of giving shaolin a go.
        help me, i'm confused

Comment

I tried derek freasons wing chun and i didn't like the atmosphere at all. The had some proper overly agressive students and the teachers were fat and un inspiring. Derek wasn't too talkative either and didn't seem like he cared too much about what i thought. I learned the wing chun basics. I asked derek if i could stay for the qi gong session and he said no. This suprised me. I've been to two lessons there and i just don't like the vibe i get from the lessons. They advertised merchandise at one point!

Anyway, i might try the dubious chun seh shaolin. Even if it isn't legit do you think it is worth training in? I mean, the guys who adopt the shaolin name to make money or gain fame or so they seem like a better teacher. How do you think they come about the shaolin forms and stuff? What is the most likely scenario behind why the decieve their students?

I suppose the biggest example is shaolin-do. How do you think that guy learnt all the forms?

Do you have any tips for what to look out for in order to judge whether it is legit shaolin being taught? From the website he says the master learn from Chun Seh. Chun Seh could of been a folk master. The website only says that the master was awarded at the shaolin temple, not by the shaolin temple.

"Dragon, Eagle, Snake, Monkey, Drunken, Tiger

Chi Kung, Chi Sao ("Sticky Hands" Wing Chun), Pek Sil Lum Northern Shaolin Kung Fu

Wing Chun, Five Animals, Plum Flower Fist and Lung Shien.

Ying Jow Pai; Eagle Claw Kung Fu (Buddha Fist), Tiger Crane, Fatal Flute form and various Breaking Arts.

In addition to these styles forms, many forms of meditation are also practised and taught."

Those are the styles being taught apprently. Any tips on what i should look out for with each style?
          thanks
          help me, i'm confused

Comment

How do you think that guy learnt all the forms?
            What makes you think he knows "all the forms" from Shaolin???

There are many, many different kinds of forms you know....
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

ok, i was blindly typing without re reading what i wrote. I guess that comment will offend shaolin do practioners too. Um, you see i write without thinking quite a lot. I think i'm digging myself in deeper.

Please ignore the question about how he learnt the forms. quote:
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              How do you think that guy learnt all the forms?
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              This refers to all of his forms not all of shaolins forms. The subject of "the" was his system.

It is pretty easy to speculate as to how someone might go about learning enough forms so as to pass it off as shaolin. Sometimes i'll post questions so that other people can do the thinking for me. I think it is one hell of a lazy streak....
              help me, i'm confused

Comment

Ok, here's the biggest suprise I came across when i attended a lesson at chun seh dau. They teach their forms from books!!!!! There were only a handful of people there who had learnt AND remembered a whole form!!!!! And I don't think the forms are traditional (or contemporary for that matter) shaolin!! Hell, you could go to any bookstore and learn the same forms thay do in a very similar manner!! Albeit maybe without the martial application.

Comment

Bloody hell. I didn't expect that. That's the sort of information i find useful. Forms from books! So you think the instructor is some karate instructor who thought he'd teach shaolin and so bought some books n started teaching the forms?

Thanks Xiaobeeno, any more information about this school would be good. Thanks
                  help me, i'm confused

Comment

No, he's not just "some karate instructor" who thought he'd use the shaolin name. Some of what they do is kung fu but i'm not so sure about the rest. I mean I'm hardly an expert in any of the high level stuff in kung fu, let alone any other martial art so it's difficult to say. I mean a lot of the basics are common to the majority of martial arts (kicks, strikes etc.) but they just have different ways of being taught with different names and such.

Just because (in my opinion) the school may not be legitimate shaolin, it doesn't mean that it's necessarily rubbish. Personally I don't agree with people pretending they're something they're not. I feel that it's a way of "controlling" the students perception, trying to awe them with tales of shaolin and such.

I think there is a japanese influence on what they teach (budo??????), the whole way of the warrior, which I thought was more the teachings of the samuri rather than shaolin (correct me guys!). There is a lot of good stuff that they teach there, but I'm, just not convinced it's shaolin, and the whole pretending to be something your not doesn't sit well with me.

Comment

No, i don't think it sits well with anyone. Nobody likes to be decieved. If i were trust my instincts i think i'd leave this well alone. I think that it can be even greater insight if a martial art beginner thinks the class could be bogus. Most beginners are so fascinated with this new world of martial arts that they don't critcally think about it at all and take it all for granted. Therefore there must of been some big mistakes for you to notice. Well that's my logic anyway.

I still might check it out. It's no big deal. Thanks for letting me know.
                      help me, i'm confused

Comment

I don't know how near you are to Rugeley in Staffordshire (my geography is crap), but there is a Chow Gar Mantis guy there.
                        "Bye Book!" - Ven. Damo

Comment

Well, I've been training for 6 years and my Sifu used to run a class with the help of another Sifu, they then left and went their seperate ways, but it then turns out that this other Sifu was calling himself a Master and making very extraordinary claims of his lineage (which was completely falsified!). Perhaps thats why I've become very inquisitive of Martial artists who make grand claims. I don't mean finding out all you can about them to try and expose them as frauds, but rather to be in a better position to make a desicion on whether or not I want to learn from them.

I've been training for 6 years which isn't exactly a long time to be learning martial arts, so I could probably learn quite a bit even from the "frauds". (just cos they mislead people about their lineage doesn't necessarily mean they're crap). I just believe integrity and honesty are very important traits in a martial artist, especially a teacher.

Oh well, hope my ramblings have been of some use to you.

Comment

Working...
                          X